PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Mystic Incarnation: The Devoted, a 5e Soulshaper (Incarnum Adaptation, 10 Levels)

Ivellius
2016-06-27, 02:48 PM
Although I got it kind of later in my gaming career, Magic of Incarnum was a good supplement once you got past the terminology and weird obsession with blue. Though it had a few design issues, it was an original and interesting magic system that foreshadowed much of the versatility present in later D&D editions.

As someone who's done a lot of homebrew, I wanted to tackle this book for a 5e update. To me, the factors that defined the class in contrast to other material in 3rd edition were considered in the current 5th edition as basic design choices of flexibility and “stamina,” and the 3e version effectively had subclasses based on different alignments.

In short, the most unique things were things that classes generally have in this edition, so I needed to find ways to faithfully represent that. I looked specifically to the Warlock for some design inspiration, as the soulforms are somewhat modeled after invocations and feats with options for powering them up. The soulform system is based on proficiency, which seemed almost identical to how they were handled in terms of investing essentia. Although soulforms are the focus of this class, you do get a couple of options outside of them for using ki.

I didn’t want to create a base class that could only ever have four options based on alignment, so I have attempted to broaden this more than just “one end of the alignment axis” while still retaining that feel. It's not a "Good" Devoted; it's one focused on "Life." I was also glad to incorporate another Intelligence “caster” into the game, and Constitution as a secondary mechanical score is also unique (even if Constitution is really good on its own).

The Devoted is generally intended as a supportive “spell-like” class, though it does break some new ground as an adaptation. Unlike the other base classes, it is absolutely loaded with class option features, in addition to influencing the Ki Radiance and determining soulform options. Given how thoroughly alignment affected its earlier counterpart, this seemed like a faithful approach.

I imagine there are other people on the forum who would like to see an adaptation, so as much as I am able to provide here's something to use. Without further ado, here are the first 10 levels of the Devoted, my adaptation of the Incarnate:

The Devoted

HIT POINTS
Hit Dice: 1d6
Hit Points at 1st Level: 6 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d6 (or 4) + your Constitution modifier per devoted level after 1st

PROFICIENCIES
Armor: Light and medium armor, shields
Weapons: Simple weapons
Tools: None

Saving Throws: Constitution, Intelligence
Skills: Choose two skills from Arcana, Deception, History, Insight, Intimidation, Investigation, Medicine, Perception, Persuasion, and Religion

EQUIPMENT
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
• (a) chain mail or (b) leather armor
• (a) a mace and a shield or (b) a spear
• (a) a light crossbow and 20 bolts or (b) five javelins
• (a) a scholar’s pack or (b) an explorer’s pack

Devoted Class Table

Level
Proficiency Bonus
Features
Ki Points
Soulforms Known
Empowered Soulforms

1st
+2
Sense Opposition, Devoted Dedication
-

2nd
+2
Ki Blast

3rd
+2
Ki Radiance, Dedication feature

4th
+2
Ability Score Improvement

5th
+3
Rapid Soulform

6th
+3
Dedication feature

7th
+3
Analyze Opposition

8th
+3

9th
+4
Share Radiance

10th
+4
Dedication feature

Sense Allies and Opposition
As an action, you can open your awareness to detect creatures that either share or would oppose you and your favored alignment. These creature types are dependent on your chosen alignment. If you have multiple alignment dimensions, you may select only one:
• Good or Evil: Celestials, fiends and undead.
• Chaos or Law: Constructs, elementals, fey, and monstrosities.

Until the end of your next turn, you know the location of any such creature within 60 feet of you that is not behind total cover. You know the type (such as celestial, fiend, or undead) of any being whose presence you sense, but not its identity (the demon Thalal, for example). You can use this feature a number of times equal to 1 + your Intelligence modifier. When you finish a long rest, you regain all expended uses.

Soulforms
You possess the ability to create soulforms, magical ki constructs that grant you additional abilities that you can shape after taking a short or long rest. You know two soulforms at 1st level and can learn additional soulforms as you advance in levels. You can never have a number of soulforms shaped greater than your proficiency bonus. Each time you gain a devoted level, you can forget one known soulform to learn another one.

You also gain the ability to empower soulforms when you form them at higher levels as shown on the class table. For each empowered soulform you possess, you can attune to one fewer magical item.

If your soulform requires a saving throw, the DC is equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier. If it makes an attack roll, your bonus is equal to your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier.

When entering an anti-magic field, you must make an Intelligence saving throw equal to the creator’s spell save DC for each soulform you have shaped. Failure indicates that the soulform dissolves, forcing you to reshape it later.

Once you spend ki points using any of your class features, you must take a long rest to recover them.

If a soulform has a descriptor (such as [Evil]), the soulshaper who forms it must match that descriptor.

It is generally recommended that, like magic items, Dungeon Masters not allow multiple soulforms that would occupy the same “slot” (such as the hands, head, or waist).

Devoted Dedication
When you take levels in this class, you pursue a path that pledges you to a particular ideal, which grants you appropriate powers and determines your focus in life. Although a devoted who embraces a dedication does not necessarily possess the associated alignment, such an occurrence is quite unusual, as upholding the ideal runs counter to the devoted’s personal preferences. You choose the Zoolyte dedication detailed at the end of the class description. Your dedication determines the effects of some of your other class features at 1st level and grants you features at 3rd level and again at 6th and 10th levels.

Ki Blast
Beginning at 2nd level, you can unleash your ki energy in a soulburning explosion, dealing damage within a 30-foot radius of yourself. As an action, you may spend a number of ki points equal to your Constitution modifier (a minimum of 1). You may spend these points even if they are already bound in a soulform. Each hostile creature within the affected area must make a Constitution saving throw against your soulform save DC or suffer 1d8 points of damage per ki point spent (half damage on a successful save). The type of damage caused by this feature depends on your Devoted Dedication.

Ki Radiance
Beginning at 3rd level, you can let your supernal power well up, giving you bonuses depending on your dedication. As a bonus action, you can empower yourself for up to 1 minute, shining with otherworldly light. For the duration of this feature, you shed bright light in a 30-foot radius and dim light out to 60 feet. You can choose the general color of this light. You also gain a bonus equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum of +1) to your Armor Class.
You can end this feature as a bonus action.

Once you use Ki Radiance, you must wait until after a short or long rest to use this feature again.

Beginning at 4th level and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th levels, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2 or increase two of your ability scores of your choice by 1. You can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

Rapid Soulform
Beginning at 5th level, you can quickly reform one soulform you possess. As an action, you may unshape a current soulform and reshape it into a different soulform you know. Any ki points invested into the original soulform go back to your ki pool. The new soulform cannot take up an empowered soulform slot even if you have one available. Once you use this feature, you must wait until after you have completed a short or long rest to use it again.

Analyze Opposition
Beginning at 7th level, you gain greater understanding and insight toward the creatures that comprise your natural enemies. You gain advantage on ability checks related to the creatures that can be detected by your Sense Allies and Opposition feature.

Share Radiance
At 9th level, you can include a number of allies equal to your Constitution modifier in your Ki Radiance feature. These allies must be within 30 feet of you, and you must spend an additional ki point for each ally included.

(Good, Life, Protection)
As a zoolyte, you value life and understand how to manipulate their energies. Your call is to protect your allies from harm and keep them vibrant and healthy. When you take this dedication at 1st level, your associated damage type for ki blast and other features is radiant.

Lifebond Touch: Beginning at 3rd level, you can use an action to share your life energy with others. As an action, you can touch a creature within 5 feet of you and transfer an amount of damage from that creature to yourself up to 5 x your devoted class level. As part of this action, you can expend ki points during this transfer. For each point expended, you reduce the amount of damage transferred by an amount equal to your Constitution modifier.

Vitality Band: At 6th level, you have resistance to poison damage and advantage on saving throws to resist disease or poison.

Therapeutic Mantle: At 10th level, your presence soothes the wounds of your allies. When an allied creature within 10 feet of you regains hit points, it may gain temporary hit points equal to your Constitution modifier.

Airstep Boots
You gain proficiency in the Acrobatics skill. You can also use a bonus action to fly up to 10 feet per each ki point invested. You must land on solid ground at the end of this movement.

Empowered: Your current walking speed can be used to fly, but you must land at the end of your movement or you fall out of the sky.

Circlet of Submission [Law]
You gain proficiency in the Intimidation skill. You can spend 1 ki point invested into this soulform to cast the command spell.

Empowered: You gain advantage on Insight checks. Additionally, when you use this soulform to cast command you can spend additional invested ki points to cast it at a higher spell level. Each spell level added requires 1 ki point spent.

Devoted Avatar [Good]
You shape soul energy into a second body surrounding your own representative of your chosen dedication. You might, for example, form the outline of an avenging angel or radiant guardian. Your base Armor Class becomes 10 + your Dexterity modifier + the number of ki points invested.

Empowered: You gain a fly speed of 30 feet. You cannot fly if you are encumbered by armor or other burdens.

Diadem of Lifelight [Good]
You shed light as a torch, providing bright illumination out to 20 feet and shadowy illumination out to 40 feet. Perception checks that rely on sight have advantage within the bright area. The radius of this effect increases by 10 feet per ki point invested.

Empowered: Radiant or fire damage dealt within the bright illumination ignores resistance.

Illusionary Circlet
You learn the minor illusion cantrip. For each ki point invested, you can add one image or object to the illusion.

Empowered: You can cast the spell silent image at will without expending material components.

Mage’s Lens
You gain proficiency in the Arcana skill. You can also spend 1 ki point invested in this soulform to cast the spell detect magic.

Empowered: You ignore class and race requirements on the use of magic items.

Sailor’s Sash
You gain a swim speed equal to your current walking speed. Your swim speed increases by +5 feet per ki point invested.

Empowered: You can breathe underwater and take no penalties for attack rolls being made underwater.

Sighting Lens
You can ignore the benefits of cover when making ranged attack rolls against creatures. You also gain a bonus on damage rolls with ranged weapons equal to the number of ki points invested.

Empowered: You ignore any penalties for range when making ranged attack rolls. You also do not make ranged attack rolls at disadvantage when in melee.

Silvertongue Collar
You gain proficiency in the Deception skill. You also gain a bonus on Charisma ability checks equal to the number of ki points invested.

Empowered: You can read all languages.

Thief’s Gloves
You gain proficiency in the Sleight of Hand skill and with thieves’ tools. You also gain a bonus to Dexterity ability checks equal to the number of ki points invested.

Empowered: You can use a bonus action to make a Sleight of Hand check, disarm a trap, or make a Use an Object interaction.

Truthseeker’s Lens
You gain proficiency in the Insight and Perception skills. You also gain a bonus on these checks equal to the number of ki points invested.

Empowered: You gain darkvision out to 60 feet. You can also cast the see invisibility spell, but if you do this soulform dissolves immediately.

Here, I try to predict questions you may ask about this:

1. Is this all there is to it? Where are the other 10 levels?

It's not, but I am unfortunately a sellout, so you'll have to get the rest behind the paywall on DM's Guild. I love doing homebrew material, but it does take a lot of time, so if you want to encourage me to continue you can.

2. Isn't this against their terms, then?

Well, the agreement permits me to put up "short excerpts" for promotional purposes. Given that, say, their Magic of Incarnum preview included the entire Totemist class, I'd make the case that this counts.

3. Do you have other class options?

Sure: the Necrolyte, Nomichian, and Anarchian (for evil, law, and chaos, respectively). DM's Guild, though.

4. Where are the other classes?

With the Devoted's other 10 levels, but I do have the Exemplar and Totemic created. Exemplar has Justice, Freedom, Tyranny, and Slaughter ideals as class options, and the Totemic has Aberrant, Beast, Draconic, and Monstrosity circles.

5. Is your Soulborn bad?

I hope not.

6. Does Therapeutic Mantle work with the damage transfer from Lifebond Touch?

Probably. It feels like it should, don't you think?

7. Where is [X] soulmeld?

It's possible I didn't adapt it--some of them would overlap too much in the simplified 5e system. But I didn't post all of the soulforms I adapted, and several of them made their way into the class option features instead.

8. Why do ki points take longer to recover for this class?

I wanted things to be different from the Monk, and I feel more comfortable about them duplicating spells if they refresh less often. You can still flip soulforms around after a short rest, so you get some flexibility there even if you run out of ki.

9. What else did you adapt?

I have a few feats that aren't really ports of anything in the document--I'm not sure I'll update too many of the incarnum feats on revisiting the document. I do plan a future version with some soulshaping monsters (and possibly soulshaper PC races).

10. Why does the Devoted Avatar give flight on empowerment? Isn't that early?

Because Aarakocra and (SCAG) winged Tieflings exist.

11. I really like this!

That's not a question, but thanks.

12. I really dislike this!

Also not a question, but I'm open to iteration. In particular I would like if the Devoted could feel a bit more like the "master" of soulshaping. I think the level 20 capstone gets there, but I'm not sure there's a lot of power budget left elsewhere. It's not really a question of numbers, but you get a *lot* of flexibility with this class if you can prepare the appropriate soulforms. It's also entirely possible that the limit of soulforms known makes this less of an issue. Features like "Expanded Soulmeld Capacity" or extra ki also feel a bit fiddly and go against the simplicity that is 5e.

13. Why is alignment important to this class?

I understand it's atypical for 5e stuff, but the class on which it's based was absolutely suffused with alignment restrictions, so it seemed like an unfaithful adaptation not to carry that over.

I hope people find this useful and that you'll get something out of me sharing. Happy gaming, all.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-27, 05:09 PM
Random note, you aren't allowed to publish DM guild work anywhere else. In not into DM guild but that's what I've been told so you might want to make sure this doesn't break those rules.

Ivellius
2016-06-27, 05:38 PM
Random note, you aren't allowed to publish DM guild work anywhere else. In not into DM guild but that's what I've been told so you might want to make sure this doesn't break those rules.

Question #2.

(In short, I am aware, though it's qualified in the agreement I made.)

R.Shackleford
2016-06-27, 06:07 PM
Question #2.

(In short, I am aware, though it's qualified in the agreement I made.)

Oh, well I didn't get that far, I stopped reading right when I learned this is DM guild stuff. I have no interest in the DMs guild or anything that has to do with the DMs guild.

Ivellius
2016-06-27, 06:57 PM
Oh, well I didn't get that far, I stopped reading right when I learned this is DM guild stuff. I have no interest in the DMs guild or anything that has to do with the DMs guild.

Hope you haven't been playing Adventurer's League, then.

And sure, I understand not wanting to go the site and sift through things, but that doesn't have anything to do with getting 10 levels of a class (other than I didn't feel I could in good faith post the other 10, but a lot of campaigns don't even reach that point).

(Also, you apparently weren't kidding that you stopped there; I had your comment in the very next line.)

R.Shackleford
2016-06-28, 06:13 PM
Hope you haven't been playing Adventurer's League, then.

And sure, I understand not wanting to go the site and sift through things, but that doesn't have anything to do with getting 10 levels of a class (other than I didn't feel I could in good faith post the other 10, but a lot of campaigns don't even reach that point).

(Also, you apparently weren't kidding that you stopped there; I had your comment in the very next line.)

I literally stopped reading at that exact moment. However I figured I would at least be nice and mention it. Just cause I don't like DMs guild stuff being advertised on giantitp or DMs guild in general doesn't mean I'm gonna be rude about it.

I tried adventure league, it is absolutely terrible and WotC should be ashamed with how bad it has become.

Arkhios
2016-06-30, 12:56 AM
I literally stopped reading at that exact moment. However I figured I would at least be nice and mention it. Just cause I don't like DMs guild stuff being advertised on giantitp or DMs guild in general doesn't mean I'm gonna be rude about it.

I tried adventure league, it is absolutely terrible and WotC should be ashamed with how bad it has become.

In all honesty, I don't see why it's so wrong to advertise one's own freelance material wherever they can (especially when the materials often are "pay what you want, or don't"), how else would they get attention at all?
Just because you don't like DMsG, doesn't justify you to come and basically say "Sod off". Granted, it's your opinion, but alas, only your opinion. People who homebrew and publish their material for everyone to use have earned the little income they can get. It IS a lot of time invested, and as it is: Time is money.

To OP, keep up the good work, don't let an occasional nay-sayer suppress your spirits.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-30, 03:23 AM
In all honesty, I don't see why it's so wrong to advertise one's own freelance material wherever they can (especially when the materials often are "pay what you want, or don't"), how else would they get attention at all?

I didn't say that people couldn't use DM Guild, I actually came back to the thread and posted a friendly reminder of the "if publish the work at the DMs guild you can't publish the work other places" rule they have. That isn't my rule, that is the DMs Guild rule. If you have a problem with that then bring it up with the DM's Guild.

And if you have a problem with the advertisement rule on giantitp then don't bring that up with me, I don't make the rules here.

You can try to make me look like a jerk but instead of just leaving someone to their devices, I at the very least tried to be helpful despite my aversion to anything related to the DM's Guild :smallmad:

But yeah, I'm the jerk for coming back to the thread to make a side comment about some rules that can get stuff kicked off DM's Guild.

You are actually complaining that someone who didn't have to try and be helpful attempted to be helpful, even when they had zero motivation to be helpful... Like... Holy crap dude that is so backwards I can't begin to describe the two parallel lines that you somehow cause to intersect.

Submortimer
2016-06-30, 10:31 AM
But yeah, I'm the jerk for coming back to the thread to make a side comment about some rules that can get stuff kicked off DM's Guild.

You're not a jerk because you made that statement, but you're being a jerk now. OP clearly answered the question, which you would have known if you had read the entire post before commenting, but you dismissed everything out of hand because "DM's Guild" was mentioned.