PDA

View Full Version : Player Help 3D Modeling minis

Meierme176
2016-06-29, 02:48 PM
So I recently came across Heroforge. A site where you can create your own mini. I was wondering if there was a program similar to that that will actually give you the .stl file. I have my own 3D printer and have been creating my own and printing them. Doing it all by hand is very time consuming and can be tedious so if there was a 3D modeling software like the one they use on their site it would really really help. Plus I don't want to spend $50 on a single mini.

Knaight
2016-06-29, 04:25 PM
So I recently came across Heroforge. A site where you can create your own mini. I was wondering if there was a program similar to that that will actually give you the .stl file. I have my own 3D printer and have been creating my own and printing them. Doing it all by hand is very time consuming and can be tedious so if there was a 3D modeling software like the one they use on their site it would really really help. Plus I don't want to spend $50 on a single mini.

Just about any 3D modeling program can get you to an STL file pretty quickly. I'd use Sketchup or Blender (both free), and save in the collada .dae format. Then, convert to .stl with any number of things that can do that (3D printer software often can do that), and call it a day.

Meierme176
2016-06-29, 05:07 PM
Just about any 3D modeling program can get you to an STL file pretty quickly. I'd use Sketchup or Blender (both free), and save in the collada .dae format. Then, convert to .stl with any number of things that can do that (3D printer software often can do that), and call it a day.

Yeah that is want I currently do, I am more looking for a program that has models already in it where you can change how you look.

Knaight
2016-06-29, 06:06 PM
Yeah that is want I currently do, I am more looking for a program that has models already in it where you can change how you look.

If you're willing to customize with Sketchup/Blender, take a look at Thingiverse and the other 3D model sites. It at least gives you something to work from.

Meierme176
2016-06-29, 08:25 PM
If you're willing to customize with Sketchup/Blender, take a look at Thingiverse and the other 3D model sites. It at least gives you something to work from.

yeah, that is what I have been doing, I was just trying to streamline it. I sis just come up with the idea to create a Skyrim character to how you see fit and download that. However I don't know how to do that yet and have been searching the web. If you know how I'd love some advice.

Knaight
2016-06-29, 08:55 PM
yeah, that is what I have been doing, I was just trying to streamline it. I sis just come up with the idea to create a Skyrim character to how you see fit and download that. However I don't know how to do that yet and have been searching the web. If you know how I'd love some advice.

I don't know about Skyrim, but there are games which are intentionally moddable, and store their 3D models as easily accessed .dae files. Age of Wonders 3 does this, as just one example. So there's at least another source. I suspect there are even modding tools which let you put together the files for games, which you can then use for something else. Absent that, I am at least fairly sure that there are games which store character models in various poses, and then store other models that can be inserted into hands, inserted on heads, or whatever else on the equipment side of things.