PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Monster Ideas (Help?)

Belladonna Took
2016-06-30, 02:11 PM
I am writing a novel based around a monster hunter, however there are many monsters from D&D that I can't/don't want to use due to potential copyright issues, thus I am looking for new monsters. I am creating some of my own however I would love to see any of your ideas, and please when you post them let me know if you would be willing to let me use them in my novel!! (Even if you don't want your ideas used please feel free to put them here as hopefully they will spark my creativity). I don't need whole statblocks (however I welcome them), I'm mainly looking for fluff such as descriptions and maybe a weakness.

A little about my novel/main character
Shuri of Treglas is a halfling ninja who wants nothing more than to spread the name of her town. She is trying to partially follow in the footsteps of the great Cedric Grimm who wrote a nice series of books detailing many monsters (magical and mundane) and their weaknesses, which she has been reading since she was a young halfling. Shuri tries to be cute but often misses the point and ends up boring her audience (due to her -1 charisma penalty). I plan for this book to pretty much just be a internal dialogue plus some combat scenes and maybe some memories from her childhood as well as perhaps interacting with a party she hires at some point for a particularly difficult mission. I really don't know where its going yet as it is in the most basic of planning right now however I plan to start writing it tomorrow... So I guess I better get some planning done!

Bhu
2016-07-01, 01:07 AM
you need full statblocks or just fluff?

Belladonna Took
2016-07-01, 02:26 AM
you need full statblocks or just fluff?

Just fluff, a description and maybe a weakness.

Bhu
2016-07-01, 04:11 PM
Okies. Gimme a power level, world setting, and terrain type. Also what tone is this? Humor? Grimdark? Somewher in ebtween?

Digitalfruitz
2016-07-02, 01:23 PM
Honestly I know this is a fantasy trope but how about animas mixed together? Here are some examples

Snamel (snake+camel)--> Snamels are used by Almost all major trading caravans in the dessert. Their ability to go days without water makes them highly useful as beasts of burden. Not too mention the fact that their sharp fangs and deadly venom can scare away most banditos from attempting to hijack a caravan. Rattling Snamels are often used for entertainment purposes, rattling away while singers play music. Most ratting Snamels are milked for their poison, a process that is highly dangerous.

Spog (spider+dog)--> Spogs are very common near most fur trapping outposts, serving as useful hunting companions. They are excellent in setting up webbed snares that their masters can use for catching small game such as rabbits. Some seamstresses also might have a pet Spog that they milk for webs, using this silk for small clothes such as toboggans, socks, or mittens. In some deep forested areas their are wild Spogs that hunt in packs and sustain themselves on birds, hares, and some reports even say people.

Carrow (sparrow+cat)--> Carrows are very popular amongst elven mages, serving as familiars that can fly and spy on enemy mages. They are highly prized in many farming communities due to their ability to swoop down and catch field mice. In the high cities their are a bread of Carrow that have grown so large that they are used to hunt Dire rats.

Belladonna Took
2016-07-03, 07:38 PM
Okies. Gimme a power level, world setting, and terrain type. Also what tone is this? Humor? Grimdark? Somewher in ebtween?

It's definitely somewhere in between, leaning more toward humor. The power level and terrain type doesn't really matter as this is a long story so there will be monsters anywhere and at every power level. She would go to whatever terrain these monsters are in to kill them. So basically I am looking for anything at all. I know that doesn't really help or narrow things down sorry.

Honestly I know this is a fantasy trope but how about animas mixed together? Here are some examples

I've already done a little of that, but those ideas you have are pretty nice as well. I particularly like Snake + Camel, however I think I might give it a different name, if that's alright.

Bhu
2016-07-04, 06:35 PM
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=994.0

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=163.0

I've made a ton of critters for dnd already. These two threads are most likely containing what you'll need, and most of it is OGL.