PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Control Fertility - The Spell Which Just Makes Sense

Xaphedo
2016-07-03, 06:00 PM
Control Fertility
2nd-level transmutation (Bard, Cleric, Druid, Paladin)

Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: 5 feet
Components: V, S, M (a spoonful of vegetable oil)
Duration: from 1 hour to 30 days, your choice

You use the oil to massage the genitals of a willing, living and fertile creature. If the genitals are internal, you instead massage the external surface closest to them. You can delegate this process to an assistant or you can use a spell such as mage hand if you would rather not touch the target's genitals.
For the duration, you modify the creature's fertility in one or in a combination of the following ways:

The target's gametes (such as eggs or sperm) become completely sterile.
The target's gametes (such as eggs or sperm) become as fertile as its species allows.
The target's frequency and duration of menstruations and similar periodic activities is normalized.
The target's production of gametes (such as eggs or sperm) is altered. This production can range anywhere from none to double the species' norm. If no gametes are produced, menstruations and similar periodic activities may not occur.

This spell ends when another control fertility spell is cast on the target. A lesser restoration, remove curse, greater restoration, heal, or wish spell also ends this spell if the caster wishes to.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level, you can increase its duration up to 6 months. When you use a spell slot of 4th level or higher, you can increase this spell's duration up to being in effect until dispelled.

JNAProductions
2016-07-03, 08:29 PM
But what if I want to bone from level one? :P

Xaphedo
2016-07-03, 11:18 PM
But what if I want to bone from level one? :P

Then that's some motivation for you ;)

If you really can't keep it in your pants, at least use the peel of the dondon fruit you savage.

sengmeng
2016-07-04, 03:04 PM
This is really hard to assign a level to. It's not worth a 0-level slot for most characters, but if the king has no heir, he might pay a 100,000 gp for it to be cast. I think it should be broken into two spells; in real life, preventing pregnancy is a lot cheaper than fertility treatments.

Amechra
2016-07-04, 04:52 PM
This is really hard to assign a level to. It's not worth a 0-level slot for most characters, but if the king has no heir, he might pay a 100,000 gp for it to be cast. I think it should be broken into two spells; in real life, preventing pregnancy is a lot cheaper than fertility treatments.

If the king has no heir, then it's obvious that he has lost the divine mandate that gives him the right to rule. After all, the gods decree who will have children, and no amount of nattering on about "gametes" will change that. :smalltongue:

I personally would love to see this as an Orison. Then again, I'm comparing it to these (https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?441919-Exalted-Strange-Charms-played-completely-straight), and I find it wanting!

Xaphedo
2016-07-04, 05:58 PM
It's not worth a 0-level slot for most characters,
I can hardly name one character in all my games that wouldn't want this kind of spell. Even if you don't know what to do with it for some reason, there are plenty of people that'd give their left eye for a 4th-level casting of this spell.

but if the king has no heir, he might pay a 100,000 gp for it to be cast.
Sorry to break it to you, but this spell only works on fertile creatures. How are you supposed to control something if it isn't there in the first place?

I think it should be broken into two spells; in real life, preventing pregnancy is a lot cheaper than fertility treatments.
I'm not sure I follow; in real life, it's much easier to create a 40 feet ball of fire than it is to lift a coffe cup with an invisible force.

I personally would love to see this as an Orison. Then again, I'm comparing it to these (https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?441919-Exalted-Strange-Charms-played-completely-straight), and I find it wanting!
Dress me backwards and call me Odehpax if I ever manage to please the exalted :p

sengmeng
2016-07-04, 08:42 PM
I can hardly name one character in all my games that wouldn't want this kind of spell. Even if you don't know what to do with it for some reason, there are plenty of people that'd give their left eye for a 4th-level casting of this spell.

It's mechanically useless.

Sorry to break it to you, but this spell only works on fertile creatures. How are you supposed to control something if it isn't there in the first place?

That's not at all what I got from your explanation. It says they can go from what they ARE to double what's NORMAL. So, it should be able to affect any creature for which fertility is normal.

I'm not sure I follow; in real life, it's much easier to create a 40 feet ball of fire than it is to lift a coffe cup with an invisible force.

I didn't say easier. I said cheaper. One effect mimics a service worth maybe a hundred dollars irl, while the other is worth thousands. The worth of the service should be somewhat comparable to the cost of having it cast for you.

Zozma
2016-07-05, 05:45 PM
It's perfectly functional, if perhaps more involved than I think a lot of players might be comfortable with. It's the sort of thing that I guess comes down to the comfort, proclivities, and interests of each group and their GM; if I had a player who wanted consequence-free sex I'd just handwave it and say they found some sheepskin protection, used the rythm method, cast a nameless spell, or just got lucky.

All that being said, if the intent is to create a detailed spell that prevents unwanted pregnancy, this description is more than adequate.

Mr.Moron
2016-07-05, 06:12 PM
Am I the only one who finds it odd to frame this in terms of sperm & eggs? I mean presumably this is for use in rather standard D&D type setting, where knowledge of things was centuries beyond the people. I thinks this would feel better with the same mechanics and more flavorful descriptions. I mean Fireball hardly frames things in terms of combustion reactions with like chemical diagrams and a bunch of talk about oxidation. I feel like this should be using terminology like "Womb", "Seed", "Barren" and "Robust".

barbecube
2016-07-05, 11:47 PM
Terminology aside, I find the somatic component of the spell to be pretty unpleasant.

I think this would be better realized as, for instance, a family of related potions.