30 (+10)
16 (+3)
30 (+10)
16 (+3)
20 (+5)
18 (+4)

Saving Throws Dexterity +12, Intelligence +12, Wisdom +14, Charisma +13
Skills Athletics +28, Perception +14, Persuasion +13
Damage Immunities Poison, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from non-magical weapons that are not adamantine
Damage Resistances All but Lightning damage
Condition Immunities Exhaustion, Frightened, Paralyzed, Petrified, Poisoned
Senses Darkvision 600', Blindsight 120', Truesight 10', Passive Perception 24
Languages Low and High Gothic
Challenge 44

Lumbering Behemoth-An Imperial Knight must use the optional facing rules (though its Blindsight is 360 degrees). In addition, it is able to crush any obstacles smaller than half its size without any effort, and as such is not slowed by anything smaller than that. Also, it is not slowed by grappling anything smaller than 40'. Finally, it is able to ignore the effects of adjacent foes when firing ranged weapons.

Ion Shield-At the start of each its turns, the Imperial Knight must select a facing for its Ion Shield (right, left, front, or rear). Any attacks that come from this facing have disadvantage, and any saves the Imperial knight takes that originate from that side have advantage.

Immutable Form-The Imperial Knight is immune to any effects that would change its form.

Titan of Destruction-All the Imperial Knight's attacks count as magical.

Equipment-Any given Imperial Knight has two pieces of primary equipment from the following list: Avenger Gatling Cannon, Rapid-Fire Battle Cannon, Thermal Cannon, Reaper Chainsword, and Thunderstrike Gauntlet.

Next, they may have one piece of carapace equipment from the following list: Ironstorm Missile Pod, Stormspear Rocket Pod, Twin Icarus Autocannon.

And finally, they may have one of the following artifacts: Banner of the Mechanicus Triumphant, Helm of the Nameless Warrior, Mark of the Omnissiah, The Paragon Gauntlet (replaces a Thunderstrike Gauntlet), Ravager (replaces a Repaer Chainsword), and Sanctuary.

Action

Use Primary Weapons-The Imperial Knight uses both its primary pieces of equipment.

Bonus Action

Use Carapace Weapon-The Imperial Knight fires its carapace turret.

Primary Equipment

Avenger Gatling Cannon Ranged Weapon Attack: +12 to hit, 300'/1500', 12 shots. Hit: 6d10 ballistics damage. Critical: Roll an extra half dice when a critical is scored with the Avenger Gatling Cannon (for a total of 15d10 on a critical).

Rapid-Fire Battle Cannon Ranged Weapon Damage: 600'/3000', 2 shots, 30' burst centered on a point within range (long range gives advantage on the saves from this attack). Anyone within the burst must make a DC 21 Dexterity save or take 8d10 ballistics damage (half on a success).

Thermal Cannon Ranged Weapon Attack: 300'/1500', 1 shot, 30' burst centered on a point within range (long range gives advantage on the saves from this attack). Anyone within the burst must make a DC 21 Dexterity save or take 9d10 fire and 9d10 force damage (half on a success).

Reaper Chainsword Melee Weapon Attack: +12 to hit, Reach 50', 3 attacks. Hit: 10d20 unresistable damage.

Thunderstrike Gauntlet Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, Reach 50', 3 attacks. Hit: 10d20 unresistable damage, and as part of this attack, you may grapple a hit target. A target grappled by a Knight with Thunderstrike Gauntlet is restrained until it breaks free from the grapple.

Carapce Equipment

Ironstorm Missile Pod Ranged Weapon Attack: 600'/3000', 1 shot, 30' burst centered on a point within range (long range gives advantage on the saves from this attack). Anyone within the burst must make a DC 21 Dexterity save or take 5d10 ballistics damage (half on a successful save).

Stormspear Rocket Pod Ranged Weapon Attack: +12 to hit, 400'/2000', 3 shots. Hit: 8d10 ballistics damage.

Twin Icarus Autocannon Ranged Weapon Attack: +12 to hit with advantage, 400'/2000', 2 shots. Hit: 7d10 ballistics damage.

Artifacts

Banner of the Mechanicus Triumphant-All allies within sight of the Imperial Knight are immune to the frightened condition.

Helm of the Nameless Warrior-Add one to the number of melee attacks made with a piece of equipment (for a total of 4 per weapon).

Mark of the Omnissiah-The Imperial Knight has regeneration 5.

The Paragon Gauntlet-As a normal Thunderstrike Gauntlet, but +12 to hit.

Ravager-As a normal Reaper Chainsword, but +14 to hit.

Sanctuary-All attacks against the Imperial Knight must subtract 1d4 from their to hit result, and the Imperial knight adds 1d4 to all save rolls.

Flashy
2016-07-05, 11:39 PM
I love literally everything about this.

JNAProductions
2016-07-05, 11:58 PM
Okay, CR assignment.

HP is CR 25. +3 for 7 points higher AC, so 28 defensively. (30 with Sanctuary.)

Offensively, it's 396 for the Avenger, 88 for the Battle Cannon (but can hit multiple targets, so lets triple that for 264), and 99 for the Thermal Cannon (tripled again, for 297). Then it's 315 for the Reaper and Thunderstrike (with Thunderstrike being slightly less due to accuracy.) So let's take the Avenger and Reaper Chainsword, for 711 DPR. That's, uh... CR 50, in theory. Let's say -10 for having a relatively low hit bonus/save DC, and that's CR 40 offesnively.

So an Avenger/Reaper with Sanctuary is around CR 35. That seems a good baseline.

Edit; I FORGOT THE STORMSPEAR! That adds 132 to the DPR, for 843. That ups the offensive CR by 7, so let's call the new CR 38.

Edit II: FORGOT RESISTANCES! Fudge it, I'll just up its CR by 3 for resistances. It's already past FREAKING TIAMAT.

djreynolds
2016-07-06, 01:05 AM
This is crazy.

khadgar567
2016-07-06, 01:26 AM
How about arioc power claws as weapons what cr worth that puppies?

Gastronomie
2016-07-06, 01:31 AM
And like, this is an imperial knight.

And he beats gods in sheer combat.

Okay, I'm afraid of not just this guy, but even more so this "empire" he works for.

I don't really know what to comment here, since he's too strong to be ever actually used , but I like the idea.

Tvtyrant
2016-07-06, 02:01 AM
So Str D becomes 10d20? I like it, very random like in the game. How wide is an apocalyptic megablast?

Arkhios
2016-07-06, 03:25 AM
One, big question comes up to my mind: Why does this creature/construct even exist?

Another, AFB question: does anything already released have a CR above 30, let alone 38? Seems more than a bit excessive to me.

aberratio ictus
2016-07-06, 10:21 AM
I agree, a little background would be awesome. :smallsmile:

Final Hyena
2016-07-06, 10:43 AM
One, big question comes up to my mind: Why does this creature/construct even exist?

Another, AFB question: does anything already released have a CR above 30, let alone 38? Seems more than a bit excessive to me.

I agree, a little background would be awesome. :smallsmile:
Warhammer 40k
Hope that explains everything.

ImperatorV
2016-07-06, 11:45 AM
As has been mentioned, this is the d&d version of a warhammer 40000 super-heavy unit.

Fun fact: Imperial knights are about the biggest thing you can bring to a tabletop game, but in 40k lore the Imperium actually has things that are much, much bigger and nastier.

JNAProductions
2016-07-06, 11:48 AM

No, CR 30 is the highest official. And yes, it is HIGHLY excessive. But it's based on 40k-excessive fits.

Zman
2016-07-06, 05:04 PM
Well a handful of Warlocks with Cubes of Force could do it. Only spell effects pass through, sling lots of magic and whittle it down, you've got 20 minutes to do it with just a single cube of force.

JNAProductions
2016-07-06, 08:40 PM
Well a handful of Warlocks with Cubes of Force could do it. Only spell effects pass through, sling lots of magic and whittle it down, you've got 20 minutes to do it with just a single cube of force.

Do you have any way to stop it from walking away?

Coidzor
2016-07-06, 09:09 PM
Lawful Good? A servant of the Omnissiah?

I think you were looking for Lawful Neutral. :smalltongue:

JNAProductions
2016-07-06, 09:13 PM
Knights are Lawful Good. They're strong believers in chivalry and the knightly code.

Coidzor
2016-07-07, 02:40 AM
Knights are Lawful Good. They're strong believers in chivalry and the knightly code.

No, they're mecha with rudimentary machine spirits because of the ban on AI. And anything connected with the mechanicus shouldn't have Good anywhere near its alignment, without an asterisk indicating you're using Imperium-subjective morality. :smallconfused:

Amechra
2016-07-07, 09:25 AM
Lawful Good? A servant of the Omnissiah?

I think you were looking for Lawful Neutral. :smalltongue:

Last time I checked, that wasn't how you spell Lawful Evil.

We are talking about the same Imperium of Man here, right?

Brother Oni
2016-07-07, 09:48 AM

Yes, but the Imperial Knights are part of the Adeptus Mechanicus, which while part of the Imperium of Man, enjoys considerable independence and freedom to operate, not least because the Emperor and by extension, the Imperium, would cease functioning if they withheld their services.

While their goals are generally aligned with the Imperium's, they much prefer to be left alone to research, tinker, discover and bring home lost tech and jealously guard it so that the heathens don't break their shiny new machines wisely disseminate their newfound knowledge with the rest of the Imperium.

Final Hyena
2016-07-07, 09:51 AM
We're losing sight on what's important here! What alignment is the toaster?

Amechra
2016-07-07, 10:11 AM
We're losing sight on what's important here! What alignment is the toaster?

Lawful Good. Where else but in the celestial toast forges would the Butter Paladin get her toast mount?

http://img05.deviantart.net/7276/i/2006/161/e/0/butter_knight_by_johnsu.jpg

=][=

More on topic: I don't really see this as a very useful monster. How do you see this being used?

Final Hyena
2016-07-07, 10:18 AM
Lawful Good. Where else but in the celestial toast forges would the Butter Paladin get her toast mount?
http://cdn.foodbeast.com/content/uploads/2014/04/Darth-Vader-Toaster.png

More on topic: I don't really see this as a very useful monster. How do you see this being used?
Can't the players use it? Or maybe they're just that beefy.

JNAProductions
2016-07-07, 01:19 PM

Not entirely sure. I felt like making it, though, and I'm sure someone somewhere will find use for it.

2016-07-07, 01:32 PM
Not entirely sure. I felt like making it, though, and I'm sure someone somewhere will find use for it.

Hell, I've already found a use for it! Granted, as we've discussed, it's probably a terrible idea, but it's a idea for a possible use nevertheless.

Spore
2016-07-07, 01:38 PM
How is a construct aligned again?

Coidzor
2016-07-07, 01:39 PM

Mechanicus types run the gamut from LN to CE. Though that last one tends to be short lived as they sprout tentacles and have to leave or get purged.

Vehicles themselves, though...

JNAProductions
2016-07-07, 01:39 PM
How is a construct aligned again?

There's a little dude inside, controlling the whole thing.

Gastronomie
2016-07-07, 11:55 PM
There's a little dude inside, controlling the whole thing.Suddenly it seems real easy to kill this thing.

Say, Meteor Swarm on the construct. It might not destroy the construct itself, but whoever's inside will be roasted to a crisp with the heat.

…If the DM says the cockpit is a really cozy, heatproof room complete with a bathroom, shower, bed, and food and water enough to last several centuries, we have no choice besides worshipping this new god, the "Little Dude in the Cockpit".

JNAProductions
2016-07-07, 11:59 PM
It is designed to be basically impenetrable. You'd have to kill the Knight to kill the pilot.

That being said, he can't last forever in there. There are no food stores or anything. So, given time, it'd be a matter of ambushing the pilot. (Note that, due to how Knights are controlled, no one else can actually pilot it.)

khadgar567
2016-07-08, 12:05 AM
Aka pixie rouge can f the guy by going juglar vein with good poison so here is kill number one

Gastronomie
2016-07-08, 01:34 AM
Unless the guy in the cockpit is a lich or someone with Create Food and Water, the matter is now solved.

Unlike Tiamat or Tarrasque, this thing can't supply itself on its own. If we were to fight it for some reason, it wouldn't be about digging at its HP - it'd be about keeping the destruction done to the cities etc. to a minimum while waiting for the pilot to come wriggling out.

theMycon
2016-07-08, 10:12 AM
Or to withdraw. He has to come out eventually, but 150' move speed is hard to match for long. How long can your (horse, flight spell, other method of pursuit) hold out?

Gastronomie
2016-07-08, 10:48 AM
I didn't see that moving speed till just now.

Well, it's really rediculous, both as a monster and as a humanoid giant robot (with emphasis on giant), and to be honest I don't like its design - in terms of physics, it would make more sense for it to be really slow. I mean, even taking the dash action, horses can't catch up with it. That seems just stupid.

Well, re-phrased, this thing moves at approx. 30 kilometers an hour. Pegasuses and other special mounts may be faster if they dash (errrrrrr, I mean, fly really well), which is one option. The other option is to set up a teleport/scrying/whatever spell system that spans the entire land like a sprawling web. Whenever the robot comes smashing into an area, this system alerts the cities nearby and tries to do something. TBH I don't know what they can actually do, they just, do something. It's the only way to go.

Grim Portent
2016-07-09, 10:52 AM
I didn't see that moving speed till just now.

Well, it's really rediculous, both as a monster and as a humanoid giant robot (with emphasis on giant), and to be honest I don't like its design - in terms of physics, it would make more sense for it to be really slow. I mean, even taking the dash action, horses can't catch up with it. That seems just stupid.

In the setting Imperial Knights are from they're one of the fastest titan-scale walkers available to mankind, and are mostly used for flanking attacks and supporting mechanised infantry and tank assaults or as part of the vanguard of the larger slower titans.

I can't find any official stats for their speed, but they easily keep pace with/outpace mounted units and APCs in the games they're in.

They're basically the giant cannon toting version of scout cavalry in 40k, being as fast as or faster than horses is normal for them.