PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Spawn of the True Dragon(Dragonborn redo)

Amnoriath
2016-07-06, 10:22 AM
Dragonborn

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5c/32/42/5c3242a0475760273b27e5e075ad71bf.jpg

Ability Score Increase: Your increase your Strength score by 2

Age: Young dragonborn grow quickly. They walk hours after hatching, attain the size and development of a 10-year-old human child by the age of 3, and reach adulthood by 15. They live to be around 80.

Alignment: Dragonborn tend to extremes, making a conscious choice for one side or the other in the cosmic war between good and evil (represented by Bahamut and Tiamat, respectively). Most dragonborn are good, but those who side with Tiamat can be terrible villains.

Size: Dragonborn are taller and heavier than humans, standing well over 6 feet tall and averaging almost 250 pounds. Your size is Medium.

Speed: Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Darkvision: You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it w ere bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Draconic Resistance: You may select one kind of damage type to be resistant against as long as there is a dragon that is immune to it.

Wyrm Ancestry: The awe of the mighty dragon has filled you with great resolve. You have advantage on saves against being Frightened.

Aspect of the Drake: Dragonborn are bestowed a might gift from their draconic origins. These gifts are reflective of the great power of the dragons. Most of the time these gifts help bring solidarity in their culture, but sometimes they can lead to great fissures.

Heart

Ability Score Increase: You increase your Constitution score by 1

Breath Weapon: You can use your action to exhale destructive energy. The breath weapon may be a 15 foot cone or a 30 foot line chosen at the beginning of creation. When you use your breath weapon, each creature in the area of the exhalation must make a saving throw, the type of which is determined by your energy resistance. The DC for this saving throw equals 8 + your Constitution modifier + your proficiency bonus. A creature takes 1d8+con. modifier(minimum 1) damage on a failed save, and half as much damage on a successful one. The damage increases to 2d8 at 6th level, 3d8 at 11th level, and 4d8 at 17th level.
At level 13 the area increases to a 30 foot cone and a 60 foot line respectively. The line though uses d10's for damage instead.
After you use your breath weapon, you can’t use it again until you complete a short or long rest.

Mind

Ability Score Increase: You increase your Wisdom score by 1

Ancient Senses: When you would use the Search action your can use this feature to increase your Darkvision increase by 30 feet as well as to gain advantage on the ability check used. At levels 6, 11, and 17 your Darkvision increases by another 30 feet.
At level 13 when you would use this feature you need not take an action to use the Search action.
Once this is used you must complete a short or long rest to use it again.

Presence

Ability Score Increase: You increase your Charisma score by 1

Dominating Presence: As an action you can force 1 creature within 30 feet of yourself to make a Wisdom save equal to 8+proficiency bonus+cha. modifier or be frightened for 1 minute. If the creature fails they may roll the save again at the end of their turn. At levels 6, 11, and 17 you can target one more creature.
At level 13 you can choose for them to be charmed instead of frightened. Though the creatures remain charmed unless you or an ally would attack them in which they may roll the save again with advantage.
Once this is used you must complete a short or long rest to use it again.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-06, 10:46 AM
The way you have it formatted makes Ancestry, darkvision, and resistance seem part of Prescense.

You should put these features be for edge "sub race" features.

Also, I was really hoping that it would just take another race and Dragon-ish then like in 3e. :p

Amnoriath
2016-07-06, 11:40 AM
The way you have it formatted makes Ancestry, darkvision, and resistance seem part of Prescense.

You should put these features be for edge "sub race" features.

Also, I was really hoping that it would just take another race and Dragon-ish then like in 3e. :p

1. Ah, I can see that now. I usually try to go by an alphabetical order if things are on the same level. Changed
2. I don't think that would work for 5e. DoB's of 3.5 had stacking rules that would never fly here. The only way I see it could be done balance wise would be through feats but then they are Draconic feats.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-06, 12:52 PM
1. Ah, I can see that now. I usually try to go by an alphabetical order if things are on the same level. Changed
2. I don't think that would work for 5e. DoB's of 3.5 had stacking rules that would never fly here. The only way I see it could be done balance wise would be through feats but then they are Draconic feats.

5E already has the Revenant which I believe replaces your primarily racial ability bonus to +2 Con and you keep your secondary score bonus.

Edit

Here is the pdf of the Gothic Heroes UA

http://dnd.wizards.com/sites/default/files/media/upload/articles/UA%20Gothic%20Characters.pdf

The Revenant is a subrace that can be placed onto any other race (I was mixed up before). It is a bit weird with races that don't have subraces but that is typically rarer.

Note: I'm not saying you have to change yours to fit this idea of 3e Dragonborn or that it would make it better. I just happen to like the fluff/mechanics of how the Dragonborn worked pre-4e. :)

Amnoriath
2016-07-06, 01:40 PM
5E already has the Revenant which I believe replaces your primarily racial ability bonus to +2 Con and you keep your secondary score bonus.

Edit

Here is the pdf of the Gothic Heroes UA

http://dnd.wizards.com/sites/default/files/media/upload/articles/UA%20Gothic%20Characters.pdf

The Revenant is a subrace that can be placed onto any other race (I was mixed up before). It is a bit weird with races that don't have subraces but that is typically rarer.

Note: I'm not saying you have to change yours to fit this idea of 3e Dragonborn or that it would make it better. I just happen to like the fluff/mechanics of how the Dragonborn worked pre-4e. :)

1. It is a cool idea but that option isn't balanced at all nor does it even treat ones without subraces the same. In general trying to give dragon flavor justice isn't going to put in a neat swap out option on another race.
2. I do get why you like the flavor and would explain its uncommon origins, however when it comes to fixes I stay out of preface flavor. Not only do I usually try to make something more true to that text but sometimes specific flavor can rule itself out of certain campaigns or alter certain campaigns to where it doesn't make sense. It is something that I think really should be between the character and the DM here.