PDA

View Full Version : Character Help, Cansin

Purple_Diamond
2016-07-07, 12:48 PM
This is what information my online game gives me over the Cansin.

Cansin are descended from chaotic outsiders like slaadi or chaos beasts. Such instances are rare, and the fact that they happen at all highlights the nature of chaos itself. Sometimes a chaotic celestial (such as an eladrin) or chaotic fiend (such as a demon) spawns cansin descendants instead of, or in addition to, aasimar and tieflings.

As children of randomness and entropy, cansin are most often descended from the inhabitants of Limbo, the plane of chaos. Cansin generally appear disheveled and disorganized. Their clothing is mismatched, their hair is mussed, and their caps perch at odd angles. Cansin typically have at least one, but possibly several, minor physical traits that reflect their origins. Some have eyes that randomly change color (not necessarily in sync), others have slightly irregular features, and still others carry around an aura of randomness that causes strange things to happen in the cansin’s presence. This aura does not affect dice rolls in any way, but it can affect insignificant events like chance meetings, minor accidents, and strange but harmless occurrences. Naturally, most cansin are chaotic, but their very unpredictability makes neutral and even lawful cansin more common than good tieflings, evil aasimar, or chaotic axani.

I'd like some input from the population here. I want to play one on this game, but I'm not quite sure what a decent backstory/goals/plots/ideas would be, really. I had thought about something along the lines of... The Cansin I would be playing is a sorcerer, but she hates the fact that this is the way she has to be. She's already chaotic and unpredictable and she doesn't like the additional unpredictability that the sorcerery in her bloodline causes. So she... wants to somehow negate her bloodline? And she hunts those that are like her, for their unpredictability as well. I haven't thought this through too much, and this is the first place I've gone to for assistance in this matter.

So my questions are, I suppose.

How would you play a Cansin?
What do you think some appropriate goals for a Cansin are?

-Purple_Diamond

Lycanthrope13
2016-07-08, 06:04 PM
If it was me, I would take a scholarly approach to the chaos. Make a mathemetician, constantly devising algorithms to try and pull order out of randomness. Learn to predict the chaos (with a certain margin of error). To an outside observer, you seem mad; constantly muttering to yourself and ticking things off on your fingers. Among your belonings are countless notebooks and loose sheets of paper, scribbled with formulae and equations more intricate than the darkest arcane texts. As your studies progress, and your power grows, only one question remains...

Will you find the secret that allows you to bend chaos to your will, or will you slowly descend into madness?

BayardSPSR
2016-07-08, 09:49 PM
Will you find the secret that allows you to bend chaos to your will, or will you slowly descend into madness?

Given that prompt, it follows that you could combine that with rigorous opposition to hierarchical authority, or other beliefs and goals conventionally thought of as "chaotic." You might even strive to disprove one of the fundamental premises of a D&D (or D&D-inspired) setting: that one's nature is lawful or chaotic, good or evil, and that the the individual is consistent and predictable rather than a nuanced, conflicted being who contains multitudes.

Then again, you might want goals less philosophical and internal.