PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Eilistraee Cleric and Sunlight Sensitivity

Vrikolaka
2016-07-08, 12:44 AM
Hello! How are you doing?

Probably someone already asked this, but I'm attempting to make a Cleric of Eilistraee, and Idk how to build it. Especially what Domain I would pick for her, what domain would fit her. And, is there any way to mitigate the Sunlight Sensitivity? Not sure about the Background, the Stats and such, but I know i'll try to build a support character, bad fighter, excelent healer/supporter.

Rusvul
2016-07-08, 12:55 AM
Some DMs will let you wear "sundark goggles" or some similar device to negate Sunlight Sensitivity. Check and see if your DM will allow that. If not, your best bet is to use spells and abilities that rely on saving throws rather than attack rolls. Sacred Flame is good for this.

I'm not very familiar with Elistraee, however Light and Nature seem like they might be fitting.

Herobizkit
2016-07-08, 07:08 AM
Seconded on Light and Nature as domain choices. Since Eilistraee's all about the Moon, maybe see if your DM will allow you to re-flavor your Light spells as moonlight.

Eilistraee's creed is kind of somewhere between Bard and Ranger in theme. Her favored weapon in earlier editions was the Bastard sword which is basically the Longsword now.

You can mitigate the Sun Sensitivity by not being in direct sunlight. Or be a Half-Elf. ;) But seriously, there is something in the DMG that allows for trading out the Sun Sensitivity by also losing your bonus Drow magic. Whether that's worth it to you or not, there's that.

Irennan
2016-07-08, 09:59 AM
The official 5e domains for Eilistraee are indeed Light and Nature (see the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide). If you want to build a supportive character, they're not really the best IMO, but I'd go with Light, due to Warding Flare, which can help you mitigate some damage. Plus, with Light, you could become a very good offensive caster, if needed. Nature has Dampen Elements, which only works against elemental damage, but can be used at will. They're both valid choices, it ultimately depends on the kind of flavor that you want for your character (if you pick Light, you could ask your DM to swap one of the 2nd level domain spells for Moonbeam, and--as already pointed out--to refluff light/fire spells to appear like silvery radiance/flames).

As a cleric, you'll obviously want to max out WIS. But for the rest, since you're mostly going to heal, I suggest that you prioritize whatever stats fit your concept. Priestesses of Eilistraee usually try to spread joy and laughter wherever they go, and they must be graceful dancers, good singers, and be able to play at least one musical instrument; they also usually are good acrobats. So, CHA and DEX come to mind (the Entertainer background could work, to gain proficiency in Performance and Acrobatics). A decent CON is needed as well (HP and concentration checks).

As for sunlight sensitivity, you could ask your DM to trade improved darkvision for sunlight adaptation. But I think that if you're going to be a supportive character, then sunlight sensitivity won't be that much of an impairment.

Vrikolaka
2016-07-08, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the help guys!
@Rusvul: Sunlight Goggles? That's an option. I will try to talk about this with my DM.
@Herobizkit: Half-Elf was an option, really. Still considering it, tho. I was thinking about multiclassing it, too, with a level or two of bard, but I will start level 6, and the help of the new Domain ability would really help (see below).
@Irennan/Others: Nature and Light? That's a Shame. I was thinking about Life, because on her lore, they talk about her being the "adoptive mom" of the Drow, being the caretaker, but that's ok, I can deal with that. Light Domain I really disliked, because I dislike blasters in general, especially when I'm in a support mindset. This group in specific, already had to deal with a "big stupid blaster". No, not a tank-blaster, a blaster that was REALLY stupid. Then be a pseudo-blaster and a Drow would not help much to me to be less treated in a hostile manner in the group. But Nature Cleric, well, we already have a Druid, so I will kinda of be redundant on the group (this was a DM suggestion, though, because the group is very nature-themed). But, whatever. In between Light and Nature, I prefer to be a Nature one.

I'm building right now a Nature cleric, a supportive/utility one, with Wis-Dex-Cha as my primary focus. Not really feeling Shilelagh, because then, literally all of my Dex points would go in the drain (and the Drow race would be literally pointless), so I'm thinking Druidcraft or Thorn Whip as my Druid Cantrip.

*Level and Alignment*: I'm level 6, entering in the game after the first epic segment. Neutral Good, more caretaker-like char.
*Stats*: My stats are (I used the Elite): Str 8/Dex 16/Con 10/Int 12/Wis 17/Cha 14, no feat (but thinking about getting a feat instead if +2 wis, and get +1 wis instead, to make the wis 16, open to suggestions...).
*Skills*: I didn't choose yet my Background, but it's looking like this:
Animal Handling, Insight, Perception, Persuasion (Animal Handling from Nature, Perception from Elf, Insight and Persuasion from Cleric).
*Background*: I'm thinking about Urchin, Hermit and Noble (the three would fit the char in mind, and the noble would give more connection with her city - but she is a "rebel noble" from Menzoberranzan, so my conections would not be much, but yeah). But leaning to Noble, right now.
*Spells*: I'm trying to help as much as I can the group, but I'm not that happy with the spells, so If you have a supportive option
Cantrip: Sacred Flame, Guidance, Spare the Dying, Mending, Druidcraft/Thorn Whip
1st: Bless, Healing Word, Sanctuary, Command, ANimal Friendship*, Speak with Animals*
2nd: Prayer of Healing, Lesser Restoration, <Insert Another Cleric Spell>, Barkskin*, Spike Growth*
3rd: Revivify, Mass Healing Word, <Insert Another Cleric spell>, Plant Growth*, Wind Wall*
*Nature Cleric spells

vincegetorix
2016-07-08, 06:57 PM
Well, just a suggestion, but maybe if you switched your character around: go bard and pick some cleric spells with your Magical Secret. With the Acolyte background, you get to play a support character (Inspirations, Bard/cleric spells, song of rest, expertise) with a religious past and with abilities that actualy fit with the lore of Eilistraee.

From Wiki: ''Eilistraee has the ability to dance and sing to elicit emotions in her allies and foes, or to inspire courage and enhance her allies' skills: such is the beauty and power of her art that even creatures normally immune to such effects can't resist'' and ''her portfolios are song, dance, swordwork, hunting, moonlight and beauty.''

The three Orders of Eilistraee are:
Sword Dancers of Eilistraee: Cleric/Bladesinger

Darksong Knights: Paladin of Vengeance/Bard

Silverhair Knights: Ancient Paladin/Bard

Vrikolaka
2016-07-08, 07:20 PM
@Vincegetorix: Thank you for the input! I don't want to be Acolyte Bard, though. Acolyte it's the most lame background, IMO, and certainly don't fit the background character (well, on Menzoberranzan, there is not a single Eilistraee Church, because in case there is a church, the Lolth cultists will imediately come, crush them to oblivion and sacrifice everyone to their deity). And, I don't want to remake the character idea to fit my character sheet. This is a thing that I REALLY hate when I see someone doing it, throwing off their ideas because "there is something better". That's why I'm not gonna change the character to Bard and picking Acolyte. It just don't fit the idea, that I'm a cleric of her. I would feel that "i'm a fake cleric", and this would make me not enjoy my character that much. Would be more effective, sure, but the "enjoyment" to be a real cleric (hint hint: cleric is my favorite class, period), i wouldn't have, because, well, i'm a bard, not a cleric :smalltongue:

Oh, the orders... Unfortunately, the three orders are strictly about "grabbing a sword and going to kill someone", which I don't wanna make, because we already have a Moon Druid and a Ranger/Fighter. I would be totally pointless on the group, because I would do something they already do, and do worse.

Irennan
2016-07-08, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the help guys!
@Irennan/Others: Nature and Light? That's a Shame. I was thinking about Life, because on her lore, they talk about her being the "adoptive mom" of the Drow, being the caretaker, but that's ok, I can deal with that. Light Domain I really disliked, because I dislike blasters in general, especially when I'm in a support mindset. This group in specific, already had to deal with a "big stupid blaster". No, not a tank-blaster, a blaster that was REALLY stupid. Then be a pseudo-blaster and a Drow would not help much to me to be less treated in a hostile manner in the group. But Nature Cleric, well, we already have a Druid, so I will kinda of be redundant on the group (this was a DM suggestion, though, because the group is very nature-themed). But, whatever. In between Light and Nature, I prefer to be a Nature one.

I know, right? Eilistraee is also defined by her deep bond with, and ''mothering'' of, the drow, which make her a really cool deity, strongly connected to her people. If it was up to me, I'd give her Light and Life domains, that fit the guidance and protection/nurturing themes. I really don't know why they gave her nature, it's a weak tie, only based on the fact that her followers tend to live in forest and that she's a huntress (but she's mainly a bard and caretaker, according to Ed Greenwood's vision).

Maybe you could convince your DM to houserule that Eilistraee also grants the Life domain. If you're playing in AL, IIRC you have the possibility to pick the Life domain regardless of your deity.

As for a feat, Inspiring Leader sounds good for your concept. Skilled would allow you to pick performance, acrobatics, a musical instrument, or cooking, if you want to play the part of Eilistraee's teachings about promoting joy.

Temperjoke
2016-07-08, 08:46 PM
How out of place are you? Is this an Underdark campaign? If you're a drow living above ground, you could consider the Far Traveler background from SCAG, highlights that you're far away from home, and the attention such a foreign person would attract.

DivisibleByZero
2016-07-08, 08:46 PM
Nature and Light are just the most common domains for her clergy.
If you want to make her a priestess with the Life domain, nothing prevents you from doing so.

Vrikolaka
2016-07-08, 10:19 PM
Thank you for all of your inputs!
@Irennan and @DivisibleByZero: Right?! This is kinda of stupid, tbh, but whatever. It is what it is. Oh, not playing on AL. And, for the Divisible, my DM already told that my character would fit better as a Nature Cleric.

@Temperjoke: It's outside. Is there any place that I can see, outside the SCAG himself? I don't have this book :(

Temperjoke
2016-07-08, 10:35 PM
Thank you for all of your inputs!
@Irennan and @DivisibleByZero: Right?! This is kinda of stupid, tbh, but whatever. It is what it is. Oh, not playing on AL. And, for the Divisible, my DM already told that my character would fit better as a Nature Cleric.

@Temperjoke: It's outside. Is there any place that I can see, outside the SCAG himself? I don't have this book :(

Almost all of the common people and other folk that one
might encounter along the Sword Coast or in the North
have one thing in common: they live out their lives without
ever traveling more than a few miles from where
they were born.

You aren't one of those folk.

You are from a distant place, one so remote that few
of the common folk in the North realize that it exists,
and chances are good that even if some people you meet
have heard of your homeland, they know merely the
name and perhaps a few outrageous stories. You have
come to this part of Faerun for your own reasons, which
you might or might not choose to share.

Although you will undoubtedly find some of this land's
ways to be strange and discomfiting, you can also be
sure that some things its people take for granted will be
to you new wonders that you've never laid eyes on before.
By the same token, you're a person of interest, for
good or ill, to those around you almost anywhere you go.

Skill Proficiencies: Insight, Perception

Tool Proficiencies: Any one musical instrument or
gaming set of your choice, likely something native to
your homeland

Languages: Any one of your choice

Equipment: One set of traveler's clothes, any one
musical instrument or gaming set you are proficient
with, poorly wrought maps from your homeland that
depict where you are in Faerun, a small piece of
jewelry worth 10 gp in the style of your homeland's
craftsmanship, and a pouch containing 5 gp

WHY ARE You HERE?
A far traveler might have set out on a journey for one
of a number of reasons, and the departure from his or
her homeland could have been voluntary or involuntary.
To determine why you are so far from home, roll on the
table below or choose from the options provided. The
following section, discussing possible homelands, includes
some suggested reasons that are appropriate for
each location.

WHY ARE You HERE?
d6 Reason
1. Emissary
2. Exile
3. Fugitive
4. Pilgrim
5. Sightseer
6. Wanderer

WHERE ARE You FROM?
The most important decision in creating a far traveler
background is determining your homeland. The places
discussed here are all sufficiently distant from the
North and the Sword Coast to justify the use of this
background.

The Underdark. Though your home is physically
closer to the Sword Coast than the other locations discussed
here, it is far more unnatural. You hail from one
of the settlements in the Underdark, each of which has its
own strange customs and laws. If you are a native of one
of the great subterranean cities or settlements, you are
probably a member of the race that occupies the place but
you might also have grown up there after being captured
and brought below when you were a child.
If you are a true Underdark native, you might have
come to the surface as an emissary of your people, or
perhaps to escape accusations of criminal behavior
(whether warranted or not). If you aren't a native, your
reason for leaving "home" probably has something to do
with getting away from a bad situation.

FEATURE: ALL EYES ON You
Your accent, mannerisms, figures of speech, and perhaps
even your appearance all mark you as foreign.
Curious glances are directed your way wherever you go,
which can be a nuisance, but you also gain the friendly
interest of scholars and others intrigued by far-off lands,
to say nothing of everyday folk who are eager to hear
stories of your homeland.
You can parley this attention into access to people
and places you might not otherwise have, for you and
your traveling companions. Noble lords, scholars, and
merchant princes, to name a few, might be interested in
hearing about your distant homeland and people.

That's the main part of it from the SCAG :)

Vrikolaka
2016-07-09, 12:39 AM
@Temperjoke Thank you very much! This is an awesome background, and I'm highly thinking about picking it. I am, now, thinking about becaming a Hermit, a Noble or a Far Traveler.

Hermit, because, she fled the city, because she worships Eilistraee. So, she withdrew, fled from the city, and started to go to the Surface alone.
Noble, because, one of my ideas were she being a High Noble Priestess, "corrupted". Then she fled.
Far Traveler, well, she fled from the Underdark, and it's now on the surface. She have some traits about Underdark, in her personality.

Really don't know. Medicine and Religion is nice thematically (Hermit). Persuasion are nice, but History I'm not a fan, but whatever (Noble). And Insight and Perception, well, I have both already.

Dimolyth
2016-07-09, 05:18 AM
Well, I tried to make a priest of Eilistraee long before SCAG was published.
By picking the Trickery domain + Entertainer Background.

Here I was surprised that nobody mentioned Trickery Domain at all. Eilistraee church is a secret organization among drow society, and the powers fit nicely. Plus, the domain grants interesting support options, which fit your particulary concept...

Temperjoke
2016-07-09, 10:01 AM
@Temperjoke Thank you very much! This is an awesome background, and I'm highly thinking about picking it. I am, now, thinking about becaming a Hermit, a Noble or a Far Traveler.

Hermit, because, she fled the city, because she worships Eilistraee. So, she withdrew, fled from the city, and started to go to the Surface alone.
Noble, because, one of my ideas were she being a High Noble Priestess, "corrupted". Then she fled.
Far Traveler, well, she fled from the Underdark, and it's now on the surface. She have some traits about Underdark, in her personality.

Really don't know. Medicine and Religion is nice thematically (Hermit). Persuasion are nice, but History I'm not a fan, but whatever (Noble). And Insight and Perception, well, I have both already.

Well, the PHB does say (on page 125) that if a player would get a proficiency from two different sources, they could pick a different one for their background, kind of up to the DM though. With Insight from the background, that frees you up to take a different proficiency from your class, such as Medicine or Religion. And since you get Perception from your race, if it were me, I'd let you take either Medicine or Religion for your background instead of Perception, since they would make sense for your character.

DivisibleByZero
2016-07-09, 10:58 AM
Well, the PHB does say (on page 125) that if a player would get a proficiency from two different sources, they could pick a different one for their background, kind of up to the DM though. With Insight from the background, that frees you up to take a different proficiency from your class, such as Medicine or Religion.

The other one doesn't have to be from your class. It can be any proficiency of the same type (skill/tool).
I actually look for backgrounds that have matching proficiency with class that I want to take, as I can then get one skill that I want which isn't on the list if I want one like that.

Example: Playing a non-elf in a class that doesn't have perception, but want perception? Find a background that offers a matching proficiency from class that I planned on taking. BAM! I can take perception.

Choosing a particularly appropriate background/class combination has great fluff benefits. But it also has potential mechanical benefits as well, as it offers a way to take a proficiency which you would otherwise be barred from taking at creation.

Vrikolaka
2016-07-09, 03:08 PM
Thank you for the inputs! <3
@Dimolyth Trickery? ...This would be very specific, for an "Terrorist" character, that lives inside Menzoberranzan (and mimicking Lolth-followers, which have, too, Trickery, from de PHB). My character is not, though. She doesn't live there anymore. But thanks for the input!
@Temperjoke and @DivisibleByZero That's interesting! The Background gives a Musical Instrument, so I'm good there (Picked Flute, literally because I saw on the Wiki of Forgotten, that they export Musical Instruments (Flute), so yeah XD), and Thinking about getting Acrobatics/Religion or Acrobatics/Medicine.