PDA

View Full Version : Summon Animal Helpers cantrip re-visioned

jleonardwv
2016-07-08, 04:10 PM
My idea is that Druids ought to have a cadre of critters around you who might help in small ways but would be not useful in combat. After lots of feedback, I've re-tooled it. Let me know what you think.

Summon Animal Friends
Enchantment cantrip
Casting time: 1 action
Range: 300 feet
Components: V,S
Duration: 10 minutes

You summon one beast of CR 1/8 or CR 0 that arrives within 1 minute using its normal mode of travel. The beast will be of a type appropriate for the natural environment within the spell’s range, in consultation with the DM. The spell will not summon or affect animals trained as guards or for similar purposes. The beast regards you and those you designate as friends. If you talk to the beast, it understands simple concepts. You may use an action to coax the beast to do simple tasks. A beast summoned by this spell cannot be coaxed to attack and if it is threatened with harm, the spell ends and it goes back to the natural environment. Otherwise, the beast will remain within 60 feet of you for 10 minutes.

If you fall unconscious or are incapacitated, the spell ends and the beasts go back to the natural environment. If a beast is reduced to zero HP, it dies.

The spell can summon more animals when you reach higher levels: up to two beasts at 5th level, up to four beasts at 11th level, up to eight beasts at 17th level.

Vogonjeltz
2016-07-08, 04:17 PM
So it's Cinderella or Snow White power? Seems ok with all the restrictions.

Hrugner
2016-07-08, 04:57 PM
I'd try to line it's parameters up with mage hand a bit more.

Flashy
2016-07-08, 05:11 PM
I'd try to line it's parameters up with mage hand a bit more.

Tbh just refluffing Mage Hand is almost certainly the best option.

JNAProductions
2016-07-08, 07:05 PM
My idea is that Druids ought to have a cadre of critters around you who might help in small ways but would be not useful in combat. After lots of feedback, I've re-tooled it. Let me know what you think.

Summon Animal Friends
Enchantment cantrip
Casting time: 1 action
Range: 300 feet
Components: V,S
Duration: 10 minutes

You summon one beast of CR 1/8 or CR 0 that arrives within 1 minute using its normal mode of travel. The beast will be of a type appropriate for the natural environment within the spell’s range, in consultation with the DM. The spell will not summon or affect animals trained as guards or for similar purposes. The beast regards you and those you designate as friends. If you talk to the beast, it understands simple concepts. You may use an action to coax the beast to do simple tasks. A beast summoned by this spell cannot be coaxed to attack and if it is threatened with harm, the spell ends and it goes back to the natural environment. Otherwise, the beast will remain within 60 feet of you for 10 minutes.

If you fall unconscious or are incapacitated, the spell ends and the beasts go back to the natural environment. If a beast is reduced to zero HP, it dies.

The spell can summon more animals when you reach higher levels: up to two beasts at 5th level, up to four beasts at 11th level, up to eight beasts at 17th level.

Seems nicely balanced.