PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Exotic Elementals

Ninja_Prawn
2016-07-09, 04:08 PM
Hey, y'all. I've been trying to put together some new elemental monsters, with a more abstract theme. The CR 6 ones (truth, beauty, charm and strange) are meant for use with this spell (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20969156&postcount=135). Let me know what you think!

Beauty Elemental
Medium elemental, neutral
Armour Class 15
Hit Points 105 (14d8 + 42)
Speed 50 ft.

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA

10 (+0)
20 (+5)
17 (+3)
6 (-2)
10 (+0)
14 (+2)

Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities exhausted, paralysed, petrified, poisoned, unconscious
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages Primordial
Challenge 6 (2,300 XP)

Evasion. If the elemental is subjected to an effect that allows it to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, the elemental instead takes no damage if it succeeds on the saving throw, and only half damage if it fails.

Graceful Attacks. All melee weapon attacks made by the elemental are considered to be finesse weapons.

Actions
Multiattack. The elemental uses its Beautiful Visage then makes two melee weapon attacks.

Strike. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d6+5) bludgeoning damage.

Beautiful Visage. The elemental turns its visage upon one creature within 120 feet that can see it. That creature must make a DC 13 Wisdom saving throw or be blinded for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on a success. If the creature's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, that creature is immune to the elemental's Beautiful Visage for the next 24 hours.

Sympathy Dance. The elemental performs a dance that is keyed to a specific type of creature, such as red dragons, goblins or vampires. Any creature of the specified type that can see the elemental must make a DC 13 Wisdom saving throw or be compelled to move closer to the elemental. It must use all of its movement on its turns to move closer to the elemental, and cannot willingly move further away. Affected creatures may make attempt the save again at the end of each of their turns, as well as whenever the elemental damages or otherwise harms them.

http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/venetian-mask-in-blue-leonardo-ruggieri.jpg
Charm Elemental
Armour Class 16
Hit Points 105 (14d8 + 42)
Speed 40 ft.

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA

12 (+1)
17 (+3)
16 (+3)
6 (-2)
12 (+1)
16 (+3)

Damage Immunities poison
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 11
Languages Common, Elvish, Primordial, Sylvan
Challenge 6 (2,300 XP)

Charismatic Defense. The elemental calculates its armour class as 10 + Dexterity modifier + Charisma modifier

Innate Spellcasting. The elemental's innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 14). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

At will: Friends
1/day each: Animal Friendship, Command, Calm Emotions

Actions
Draining Touch. The elemental touches a creature. The target must make a DC 14 Constitution saving throw against this attack, taking 36 (6d10 + 3) psychic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The target's hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the damage taken. This reduction lasts until the target finishes a long rest. The target dies if this effect reduces its hit point maximum to 0.

Charm. One humanoid the elemental can see within 30 feet of it must succeed on a DC 14 Wisdom saving throw or be magically charmed for 1 day. The charmed target obeys the elemental's verbal commands. If the target suffers any harm or receives a suicidal command, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on a success. If the target successfully saves against the effect, or if the effect on it ends, the target is immune to this elemental's Charm for the next 24 hours.
The elemental can have only one target charmed at a time. If it charms another, the effect on the previous target ends.

I couldn't find a good one. :smallfrown:
Strange Elemental
Large elemental (shapechanger), chaotic neutral
Armour Class 16 (natural armour)
Hit Points 119 (14d8 + 56)
Speed 50 ft., swim 30 ft., burrow 30 ft.

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA

18 (+4)
13 (+1)
18 (+4)
5 (-3)
10 (+0)
8 (-1)

Damage Resistances cold, fire, lightning, bludgeoning, piercing and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities poison
Languages Primordial
Challenge 6 (2,300 XP)

Shapechanger. The elemental can use a bonus action to polymorph into a weird monster, made up of a composite assotment of limbs, claws, tails and jaws. The elemental's statistics do not change, but if it is restrained or grappled when it uses this ability, that effect is ended immediately.

Actions
Multiattack. The elemental makes three melee attacks. It must use three different types of attack.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d8+4) piercing damage.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (2d4+4) slashing damage.

Stinger. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6+4) poison damage.

Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (1d10+4) bludgeoning damage.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40k/images/6/6d/937084-tzeentchspawn.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20111021201940
Time Elemental
Armour Class 17 (natural armour)
Hit Points 144 (16d8 + 64)
Speed 50 ft.

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA

18 (+4)
15 (+2)
19 (+4)
10 (+0)
10 (+0)
8 (-1)

Damage Immunities poison
Languages Modron, Primordial
Challenge 8 (3,900 XP)

Axiomatic Body. The elemental is immune to the Haste and Slow spells, and is not frozen in time if another creature casts Time Stop.

Axiomatic Mind. The elemental cannot be compelled to act in a manner contrary to its nature or instructions.

Innate Spellcasting. The elemental's innate spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 11). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

At will: Mage Hand, Shocking Grasp
1/day each: Haste, Hold Person, Levitate, Slow, Telekinesis

Actions
Multiattack. The elemental makes three slam attacks.

Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6+4) bludgeoning damage plus 3 (1d6) lightning damage.

Jolt. Ranged Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, range 60 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d8+4) lightning damage.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-TsGMDFr0LXQ/Tqo3tTUFQMI/AAAAAAAABGQ/q31jpxulvcI/s1600/Orianna_OriginalSkin_Ch.jpg
Truth Elemental
Large elemental, lawful neutral
Armour Class 15 (natural armour)
Hit Points 91 (14d8 + 28)
Speed 50 ft., fly 60 ft.

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA

17 (+3)
14 (+2)
15 (+2)
6 (-2)
16 (+3)
10 (+0)

Skills Insight +9, Perception +9
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities exhausted, grappled, paralysed, petrified, poisoned, prone, restrained, unconscious
Senses truesight 60 ft., passive Perception 19
Languages Celestial, Primordial, Telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 6 (2,300 XP)

Incorporeal Movement. The elemental can move through other creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain. It takes 5 (1d10) force damage if it ends its turn inside an object.

Master of Truth. The elemental knows when it hears a lie.

Actions
Multiattack. The elemental makes two slam attacks.

Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8+3) radiant damage.

Searing Truth (Recharge 6). The elemental speaks a fragment of the universal truth. All creatures within 120 feet that can hear must make a DC 14 Constitution saving throw, taking 55 (10d10) psychic damage on a failure, or half as much on a success. In addition, creatures that fail their save are deafened for one round.

http://pre12.deviantart.net/108a/th/pre/f/2010/180/b/e/anima__arcangel_by_wen_m.jpg

But without the weapons. Any maybe without the wings?

Regitnui
2016-07-10, 02:55 AM
The beauty elemental can be refluffed for a nymph, right?

Otherwise, looks like fun.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-07-10, 03:55 AM
The beauty elemental can be refluffed for a nymph, right?

Otherwise, looks like fun.

You could but personally, I wouldn't. Nymphs are fey creatures - the dryad from the MM confirms that.

When I get around to it, I will be adding the other types of nymph to my fey folio; I will be aiming for CR 2 when I do so.

JackPhoenix
2016-11-05, 02:09 PM
When I saw Charm and Strange elemental, my thought was "where are Up and Down elementals?". Is Beauty currently called Bottom elemental, and Truth Top elemental?

King539
2016-11-05, 07:08 PM
Why does the Time Elemental have Haste, when it it is explicitly immune to the spell?

Ninja_Prawn
2016-11-05, 07:15 PM
Is Beauty currently called Bottom elemental, and Truth Top elemental?

Only by gnomes. Other wizards, especially elves, cling on to the traditional names because they are "more romantic".

Why does the Time Elemental have Haste, when it it is explicitly immune to the spell?

Watson: because it has mastery over time.
Doyle: so that it can support its allies (most likely its summoner).

Sicarius Victis
2016-11-06, 12:19 AM
Watson: because it has mastery over time.
Doyle: so that it can support its allies (most likely its summoner).

You really do like to do that "Watson/Doyle" thing, don't you? I must admit, I'm getting curious to what it actually means. Is there any chance that you'd be able to explain it to me?

Also, I really do like these ideas. I feel that they perfectly capture the pure weirdness that is elemental magic. Though the "Truth" and "Time" ones feel a bit more suited to Celestials and Inevitables/Modrons/Etc., as elementals tend to be a bit more chaotic than that.

Also, I can only assume that the actual appearance of a Time elemental would be basically a clockwork elemental, or something like that.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-11-06, 04:10 AM
You really do like to do that "Watson/Doyle" thing, don't you? I must admit, I'm getting curious to what it actually means. Is there any chance that you'd be able to explain it to me?

That's like the second time I've said it in my whole life. The full explanation is here (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WatsonianVersusDoylist) (warning: TVTropes link), but the short answer is that Dr. Watson was the narrator of the Sherlock Holmes stories, who explained thing using in-universe logic, while Arthur Conan Doyle was the author, who had an out-of-universe perspective.

So essentially, I'm giving both an in-character justification and a metagame reason for the design choice.

Sicarius Victis
2016-11-06, 10:59 AM
That's like the second time I've said it in my whole life.

Really? Huh. Now I feel somewhat stupid. I'd seen you use it here, and in another thread recently, and (incorrectly, clearly) thought that I'd seen you use it in other threads recently then as well. My apologies for making the assumption.

So essentially, I'm giving both an in-character justification and a metagame reason for the design choice.

That's actually a rather interesting method of doing that. I might have to try it out myself some time.