PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Barbarian Path (Path of the Slayer)

RATHSQUATCH
2016-07-12, 02:28 PM
I have created a Slayer, please help me balance this.

Path of the Slayer

Reveling in bloody slaughter isn't always the best thing, but to a slayer, the act of taking another life in lieu of their own excites them. These powerful barbarians can use powerful attacks to frighten those around them and deliver such powerful blows they can fell an opponent.

Bloody Slaughter

At 3rd level when you select this path, you can unleash a powerful blow upon your opponent that inspires those around you. During a rage, after hitting with a melee attack, but before rolling damage, you can instead choose to deal maximum damage with the blow. All allies within 30-ft who saw you deal the blow are inspired and have advantage to saving throws against fear effects until the end of their next turn.

You can use this feature once, then your requires a short or long rest before it can be used again.

Bloody Critical

At 6th level, while raging and you hit an opponent with a melee attack, you can decide to make that hit a bloody strike instead. A bloody strike doubles the number of weapon damage die rolled, it also applies the savage attacks and brutal critical features as if the attack was a crit. You can use this feature once, then require a long rest before it can be used again.

Savage Stubbornness

At 10th level, you are brave and stubborn, having advantage on checks to resist being frightened and intimidated. In addition, you are stubborn and can persevere through exhaustion. You have advantage on exhaustion checks when traveling or from lack of sleep.

Bloody Death

At 14th level, you can deliver such an outstanding blow, you have a chance to kill your foe outright. When you hit with an attack that deals maximum damage or a critical hit during a rage (but you cannot apply this feature after using Bloody Slaughter, or Bloody Critical), you force the target to make a Constitution saving throw (DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength modifier). If they fail the save and less hit points than half your hit point maximum, they drop to 0 hit points. If they have equal or more than half your hit point maximum, you can instead immediately make another attack against an adjacent foe as bonus action. You can use this feature once, then require a long rest before it can be used again.

EDIT: Adjust Bloody Critical to become Bloody Strike based on feedback.

JNAProductions
2016-07-12, 02:43 PM
Snip

Only issue I have is Bloody Critical. Way too abusable with a Rogue or Paladin multiclass.

RATHSQUATCH
2016-07-12, 02:50 PM
Only issue I have is Bloody Critical. Way too abusable with a Rogue or Paladin multiclass.

Guess I could always state critical with "weapon damage rolls". That could avoid that situation.

JNAProductions
2016-07-12, 02:51 PM
Guess I could always state critical with "weapon damage rolls". That could avoid that situation.

No, no it wouldn't. In addition, if you compare this to Totem Barbarian (which I think is fair) you'll find that at level 6, they mostly get fluff features. Maybe do that.

Final Hyena
2016-07-12, 02:55 PM
Indeed, perhaps altering it to;
Bloody Strike
At 6th level, while raging and you hit an opponent with a melee attack, you can decide to make that hit a bloody strike instead. A bloody strike doubles the number of weapon damage die rolled, it also applies the savage attacks and brutal critical features as if the attack was a crit. You can use this feature once, then require a long rest before it can be used again.

RATHSQUATCH
2016-07-13, 11:21 AM
Indeed, perhaps altering it to;
Bloody Strike

The wording makes sense, thanks. I thought it would seem more "long-winded" when typed out, but seems to flow well and restricts what it needs to.