PDA

View Full Version : Modern Combat Specifics

ImpFireball
2007-07-03, 02:12 AM
How much does it hurt to be hit by a bullet, truly? Aimed shots to body parts (yes, including the groin)? Name every pistol this side of now? Automatic shotguns? Sniper rifles? Modified composite kevlar?

Tanks? Helicopters? Fighter jets? How many bullets can you truly dispense from a full automatic in a single round? Flamethrowers? Near future crap: ie., spider silk armor? Headshots? Do they actually exist to some effect?

Lame cheezey crap about nanites that we hear all too much?

Craft checks to design new things such as terrawatt lasers that can melt holes in mountains? Enthralling worlds? Economies?

Nuclear/robot warfare/alien invasion on a D20 level? Doom/hell invasion on a D20 'distant future' modern level?

What're your opinions? Can something be made from all this?

Roderick_BR
2007-07-03, 06:21 AM
I think the D20 Moderm books cover these things.

ImpFireball
2007-07-06, 10:19 PM
O rly? You really think so? How about an evil dead survival horror (but with ALOT of action... the 'horror' would kinda revolve around gore, sex, realism, and rock'n'roll :P) kinda game, except with even more zombies, ghouls, whacked-out zombies, even more whacked-out super zombies, and flesh composite abominations? Chainsaws too how about?

And the effects of a zombie while burning? And actual specifics on a chainsaw? How about rapidly reloading a shotgun to shoot like 10 shots a round? How about magic in the modern world (not the plain undirived crap that belongs in the middle ages with actual classes devoted to wizard mind you)? Modern magic such as the stuff you might find in eternal darkness, or getting possessed by a soul (like a deadite in evil dead, or getting posessed/reworked in the doom videogame)?

Anyone willing to cover all this? The more I think about this, it'd be a great idea for an evil-deadish campaign. :smallcool:

Certain things could be added, such as will-saves could benefit to help prevent your character from going insane. Actual homebrewed demons would be awesome too. :P

I'm pretty much looking at a fun and dirty game.

Neon Knight
2007-07-06, 10:51 PM
D20 Modern can do everything you've listed and more.

ImpFireball
2007-07-07, 12:12 AM
Yah I know dude, but I'm wondering if we can have a campaign around all this.

Neon Knight
2007-07-07, 12:19 AM
Oh.

You should probably look/advertise/plot in this forum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51) then.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-07-07, 03:21 PM
Tanks? Helicopters? Fighter jets?

d20 modern book.

How many bullets can you truly dispense from a full automatic in a single round?

In d20 modern, 40 rounds as long as you have a +16 base attack bonus. In the real world an M16 fires about 900 rounds a minute, so 90 rounds in 6 seconds.

Flamethrowers?

d20 modern book

Near future crap: ie., spider silk armor?

Spider silk really isn't that much better than Kevlar. Silk Armour has been around for 100 years.

Lame cheezey crap about nanites that we hear all too much?

d20 future has nanomachine colony rules.

Craft checks to design new things such as terrawatt lasers that can melt holes in mountains? Enthralling worlds? Economies?

Lasers aren't really worth it, but making a big laser doesn't require a hard DC at a progress level where lasers are easy to make.

And actual specifics on a chainsaw?

The d20 modern book has chainsaws, no special rules, but weapons don't need them.

How about rapidly reloading a shotgun to shoot like 10 shots a round?

A round is 6 seconds. You can't shoot a non-automatic weapon that fast.

How about magic in the modern world (not the plain undirived crap that belongs in the middle ages with actual classes devoted to wizard mind you)? Modern magic such as the stuff you might find in eternal darkness, or getting possessed by a soul (like a deadite in evil dead, or getting posessed/reworked in the doom videogame)?

Unearthed Arcana and the Urban Arcana d20 modern book both have incantations, which might be what you want.

Certain things could be added, such as will-saves could benefit to help prevent your character from going insane. Actual homebrewed demons would be awesome too. :P

Unearthed Arcana again.

TheThan
2007-07-07, 03:31 PM
To quote Neo from the matrix

“guns, lots of guns”

I strongly recommend D20 modern, weapons locker. Its got all the stats for just about any gun you’d want.

ImpFireball
2007-07-08, 01:38 AM
Except I did a little reading, and I only just realized that D20 modern is incredibly depressing in the way it comes about... and I guess the way I read it.

I can't imagine anyone could take on like 10 guys unless they have a weapon capable of blowing ten guys up; no matter what level you are, according to the 'rules'. Which is really quite depressing. Where's room for the crazy stuff? I think we could homebrew and overhaul alot of this stuff. Even the basic classes are depressing, considering they're based solely off the attributes, and then they expect you to become a soldier through an advanced class.

It's interesting really, because in reality, nearly every person you've ever met is 1st level and of 10 strength unless they do a ton of weight lifting, ie.

It's also frankly depressing that feats are required to say, squeeze a trigger twice. Feats shouldn't enable things. They should open things up. I've got nothing against feats that simply stack with bonuses, but feats that allow you to do crap should be really crazy feats, such the stuff you found in 3.5.

The whole future issue is also completely uncreative and I only wish it were possible to simply homebrew everything ourselves if we wanted a future setting. PL only applies to the DM anyway, and it helps with a backstory. I mean what the hell's gravity age? Do you honestly believe a historian will ever dub it that? 'Information age' is the only one that makes actual sense, considering it's already happening right now. Not to mention fusion technology has already been invented, along with probably most if not all cybernetics in the next 50 years, so it's all bogus uncreative really.

Don't even get me started with 'mecha' and starship combat. Not only did they steal all the concepts from starwars and gundam, but it's really uncreative and it must be depressing hell for the DMs. That's why I'd go with homebrew.

Then again, the 'futurish' setting I'm thinking of is rather unique, similair to that of Doom (you've probably already heard mention of it, a few several times :P). In order to be action intensive, every character will have to be soldier and fight in some creative way. Which will probably require alot of overhauling and homebrewing, sadly. Because otherwise, gunning down zombies and demons isn't worth it, if it becomes a Rez Evil fest. Of course, the whole idea here is that the weaker chars die faster. And I'd hardly call them 'heros', until they prove themselves. >_>