PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next [Artifact Set Help] The Kaldra Relics

Amechra
2016-07-21, 12:50 AM
OK, so M:tG has an old set of three artifacts, the Helm of Kaldra, Shield of Kaldra, and Sword of Kaldra. The Helm grants unsurpassed battle awareness (gives the equipped creature Haste, Trample, and First Strike), the Shield makes you invulnerable (gives Indestructible, as do all the equipment pieces), and the Sword slays all it touches (gives +5/+5 and any creature the equipped creature damages gets exiled.)

If you have all the pieces, you can summon a 4/4 Avatar named Kaldra and attach all the pieces to it for free.

=---=

What I want is a set of "artifacts" (they could just be common magic items) that pull off the above (helm that gives you battle awareness, sword that slays without fault, shield that brings invulnerability), with the catch that Attuning to all three summons up Kaldra (not sure what kind of monster to use here).

Any help?

JNAProductions
2016-07-21, 12:52 AM
The Helm could grant the Alert Feat, or act as a Weapon of Warning.

The Shield could be a mix between a +3 shield and a holy avenger (advantage on saves against magic).

The sword could just be Vorpal.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-07-21, 05:49 AM
The Helm could grant the Alert Feat, or act as a Weapon of Warning.

The Shield could be a mix between a +3 shield and a holy avenger (advantage on saves against magic).

The sword could just be Vorpal.

That's kind of boring, when we have the opportunity to create a set of three artifacts (and a monster, but I don't know MtG, so I'll leave that for others).

Let's see here...

Helm of Kaldra
Wondrous item, artifact (requires attunement)

Magic Helm. The Helm of Kaldra is a fully enclosed helmet that precludes the wearing of any other helmet or headpiece. While you are wearing it, any critical hit against you becomes a normal hit. It also functions as a pair of Eyes of the Eagle.

Random Properties. The Helm of Kaldra has the following randomly determined properties:

1 major beneficial property
2 minor beneficial properties
2 minor detrimental properties
Battlefield Awareness. When you wear this helm in combat, no creature can be hidden from you; you are aware of their presence even if they have total concealment take the Hide action.

At the Speed of Thought. While wearing the Helm of Kadra, you are constantly under the influence of a Haste spell, which cannot be dispelled or removed in any way. It is, however, suppressed for 1 minute by Dispel Magic, Slow and similar effects - this does trigger the standard 'lethargy' clause. Furthermore, you always have advantage on initiative rolls.

Destroying the Helm. ???
Shield of Kaldra
Armour (shield), artifact (requires attunement)

Magic Shield. The Shield of Kaldra is a magic shield that grants a +3 bonus to AC that also functions as a Spellguard Shield.

Random Properties. The Shield of Kaldra has the following randomly determined properties:

2 minor detrimental properties
Indestructible. If you would be subjected to a spell or effect that would kill you without dealing damage while wielding this shield, you are protected from that effect. Additionally, once per day, if you are reduced to 0 hit points by damage, you may instead remain on 1 hit point.

Feature. Some other feature?

Destroying the Shield. ???
Sword of Kaldra
Weapon (longsword), artifact (requires attunement)

Magic Weapon. The Sword of Kaldra is a magic weapon that grants a +3 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with it. It also functions as a Vicious Weapon and has the finesse property.

Random Properties. The Sword of Kaldra has the following randomly determined properties:

1 minor detrimental property
1 major detrimental property
Banishment. Any target hit by this sword must make a DC 17 Charisma saving throw or be subject to the effects of a Banishment spell. You do not need to concentrate on this spell; it can only be interrupted by destroying the sword.

Slay Target. Once per day, you may use the Sword of Kaldra to cast Power Word: Kill.

Avatar of Kaldra. If you draw this sword while wearing the Helm and Shield of Kaldra, an Avatar of Kaldra is summoned to your presence. The DM has the Avatar's statistics.

Destroying the Sword. ???
I don't know enough about the lore to know what would be appropriate conditions for destroying the items (temporarily or permanently). Also, I feel like the shield needs another feature to reach par for an artifact, but it already makes you almost indestructible (and is too powerful for the legendary class), so I'm not sure what else to add. But it's a start!

khadgar567
2016-07-21, 06:02 AM
prawn its not start its near to conculusion we just need jna to pop its monster self and its done

JNAProductions
2016-07-21, 11:13 AM
prawn its not start its near to conculusion we just need jna to pop its monster self and its done

Unfortunately, I have no clue what kind of monster Kaldra would be.

For the last shield feature, perhaps resistance to non-magical damage?

Morcleon
2016-07-24, 10:53 PM
Unfortunately, I have no clue what kind of monster Kaldra would be.

Kaldra is a humanoid with roughly twice the offensive and defensive prowess of a bear. (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=129586)

JNAProductions
2016-07-24, 10:55 PM
Kaldra is a humanoid with roughly twice the offensive and defensive prowess of a bear. (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=129586)

That's it?

Really? You could just use Gladiator stats for that!

Morcleon
2016-07-24, 11:33 PM

That's it?

Really? You could just use Gladiator stats for that!

Well, by MtG stats, a bear is 2/2, while Kaldra is 4/4 (not including the weapons and armor). I'd assume she'd be closer to an Angel from a D&D stat standpoint though.

Gr7mm Bobb
2016-07-25, 08:40 AM
Don't forget that Kadlra was also a construct. It was that specific detail that let the main baddie of that story (Memnarch) take over the mirrans beloved champion. They then had to turn the focused power of the newly discover green sun (1/5 the collective power of the plane for the non MtG savvy) on kaldra to annihilated it, killing it would not suffice.

Honestly, I'd look at the stats of the death card's creature (from the deck of many things) if you want a baseline to set this construct at. Remember, most angels are 4/4 in the MTG cardbase.

My opinion though, don't give it hp. seriously this was the ancient collective champion of mirroden. If your plucky group of adventurers want to defeat this, they should do it in story and skill, not numbers.

i dont think the helm should be able to prevent hiding, but the train of thought is good. I do think that taking select things from the Alert feat and the weapon of warning would be good. maybe for that first strike feeling the initiative fixers from those could be good, but also maybe a reaction ability to AoO when someone attempts something within your reach.
To get that trample feeling, maybe offer up something like the Great Weapon Master's second bullet.

The weilder of the shield could be subject to a death ward spell that has a recharge of 5-6. That way it can be gotten through, but it could still be realy annoyingly persistant.

As far as the sword goes, Its really a +5 longsword that removes those struck from that existence. But that is really powerful and honestly boring. I do really enjoy what Ninja presented for their rendition of the sword. Another thing to look at is the LN angel guys from the MM, their weapons deal force damage to represent that raw power.

Writing this from my phone, so yoh all have my apologies if this feels half baked.

To the original poster, if you'd like Ive drawn up the vulshok as a race that i would love to get some outsider playtesting on if you're interested.