PDA

View Full Version : Epic Level Handbook: worth it?

LotharBot
2007-07-03, 04:28 PM
I just DM'ed a party (http://rubblerousers.blogspot.com/) all the way from level 1 to level 20. We'll be taking a break for another campaign, but I suspect we'll be back to this one at some point.

I have access to the online SRD, which contains a fairly extensive epic section, so I'm wondering... does the Epic Level Handbook give me anything that would make it worth the trouble of finding? (It's on amazon.com for close to $40, which is way too much for a 3.0 book IMO.) Should I just stick with what I have in the SRD and the monsters I have access to from MM/fiend folio/BoVD/etc?

Emperor Tippy
2007-07-03, 04:48 PM
Yeah, most of the crunch in the ELH is in the SRD. Although Union is fairly nice and as far as I know the fluff for that only shows up in the ELH.

TheLogman
2007-07-03, 04:49 PM
Unless you want to include Epic Spellcasting, (The specifics for seeds are not in the SRD I don't think) or need a paper weight, I don't think you'll need it, especially since you have the Epic section in the SRD, with all the monsters in it.

Douglas
2007-07-03, 04:55 PM
The specifics for seeds are not in the SRD I don't think
Epic Spells and Psionic Powers (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/epicSpells.htm) includes the Epic Seeds.

To answer the original post, I don't think there's much, if anything, of significance in the Epic Level Handbook that is not in the SRD.

puppyavenger
2007-07-03, 05:00 PM
Qell the SRD for some reason doesn't have epic Slaad.

brian c
2007-07-03, 05:10 PM
Qell the SRD for some reason doesn't have epic Slaad.

The SRD doesn't have non-epic Slaad either. It's like illithids and beholders, the name is considered WotC property and not part of OGL.

Jack Mann
2007-07-03, 05:16 PM
I'll pay money for epic D&D rules when they come up with a system that works.

Emperor Tippy
2007-07-03, 05:24 PM
I'll pay money for epic D&D rules when they come up with a system that works.

Same .

nerulean
2007-07-03, 07:19 PM
I certainly played epic without trouble using the SRD. I wouldn't fancy DMing with it, but that's more because of the flaws with epic than the question of if there's anything missing from the ELH.

I guess a consideration is how annoying would it be to use a computerised sourcebook? If you use a computer for DMing normally then it's no problem, but if you don't it can be an annoyance not to have a hard copy of the book to flip through and bring to the gaming table. You just have to work out if it's $40 worth of annoyance.

Damionte
2007-07-03, 08:01 PM
If you're in a 3.0 campaign and plan on going to epic levels yes indeed it's priceless.

If you're in a 3.5 campagin you can go without it. The infomration you need is spread about in the other books.