PDA

View Full Version : Contest Base Class Challenge XXXIV Voting Thread

Temotei
2016-07-24, 03:08 AM
Welcome to the voting thread for Base Class Challenge XXXIV, All You Can Treat (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?490388-Base-Class-Contest-XXXIV-All-You-Can-Treat)! Voting will consist of each voter giving a first, second, and third place vote for three separate base classes. Anyone can vote, and in fact, entrants must vote to qualify for victory. Participants need not vote in this voting thread since the result would be 5 points for both. Feel free to comment, though!

A first place vote is worth three points, a second place vote is worth two points, and a third place vote is worth one point. You may not vote for your own class. This time, vote for one class. Each vote counts as one point.

You are encouraged to include reason with your votes, though this is not absolutely required.

The class that ends up with the most points wins the challenge contest. Voting starts now and will continue until 23:59 (Central Standard Time USA/Canada; GMT-6) on August 7th.

Base Class
Author
Votes

Candy Man (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20873851&postcount=3)
sengmeng

Saccharine Slayer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20876079&postcount=4)
Jormengand

Unfortunately, the sucromancer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20885511&postcount=5) is ineligible for voting.

dragonjek
2016-07-27, 09:21 AM
Saccharine Slayer

It just overall feels more refined than the Candy Man, and it feels more like a base class. The Candy Man seems to me to be more like an item-creation focused PrC. Of course, the prompt this time was rather... difficult... to make something serious out of, but I think the Saccharine Slayer came out nicely.

khadgar567
2016-07-27, 09:29 AM
No vote I feel like we can make better than just creating puns as class

Temotei
2016-07-27, 03:34 PM
Vote tallied.

No vote I feel like we can make better than just creating puns as class

Harsh, dawg.

sengmeng
2016-07-29, 07:34 AM
Not a vote, but... if I were picking one of these, I would pick the Saccharine Slayer, yes even over my own class. That doesn't mean I have no criticisms of it, however. One, it doesn't have any restrictions on creature types that can be affected by the kiss of blood and related abilities (obviously, undead can't be killed, and constructs can't take negative levels anyway, but does that true damage really affect golems the same way it affects humans?) And the kiss of blood, kiss of death, kiss of the void, kiss of draining, etc, is really putting all your eggs in one basket. It's like, either you can grapple or trick them and proc 4 really nasty effects, or nothing, and they don't have much that can make them better grapplers. Still, it would be a very role-playing intensive character with lots of mechanical backing for that role-playing, and I like that. I do think it's fairly balanced, but against certain enemies it would have lots of trouble (lots of beastly creatures would be difficult to grapple, and wouldn't be able or interested in speaking with you). It reminds me of my own Metabolist from the previous contest: either his main attack works and OHKO's them, or he punches his way out with a 3/4 BAB. Meh. I was fine with my own class, so I guess I'm fine with this one operating that way, but some others did not find it to be palatable. <--Pun?

As for the Candy Man... I think he's balanced, I think he would be fun, he would need to coordinate closely with his party, and the Candy Addiction would be an interesting role-playing opportunity, but I really didn't put a lot of work into the crunch and that doesn't sit very well with me and I don't expect others to be much more forgiving.

Jormengand
2016-07-30, 11:03 AM
I feel that the reason that I made it so that making out with golems and vampires and sentient shrubberies had the same effect as on humans was that I hate the fact that those three things have already had their fair share of messing up the sneaky type.

Although, if you can't grapple-kiss something, you know Polymorph from 10th level. Before then you have to make do with your other spells, some of which can be useful, and medium BAB.

BelGareth
2016-08-01, 10:39 AM
+1 vote for Saccharine Slayer.

It feels much more solid, and more adventurey than the other class. Plus Alliteration.