PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Forsaker as "Vow of Poverty"

Bobby M
2016-08-04, 02:21 PM
I like the idea of a character that refuses to use magic in 3.5 due to the impracticality of it, but the forsaker 3.0 prestige class leaves a lot to be desired (especially having to destroy magic items which would infuriate my party). So, I was considering making a feat called "Oath of the Forsaker", which would mechanically function identically to Vow of Poverty, only without the sacred oath prerequisite, changing the sacred bonus out for something more generic, and replacing the exalted bonus feats with fighter bonus feats. Just wanted to get a feel if this would be a balanced suggestion before I bring it to my DM. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Edit: Almost forgot: the most important change would be replacing the poverty requirement with the forsaker requirements, i.e. Can't cast spells or spell likes, must always attempt to resist magic even when beneficial, and cannot use any magical items.

Grand Arbiter
2016-08-04, 03:57 PM
While I unfortunately am unqualified to help with such a feat, I know something related to what you're looking for.

Jormengand made some base classes that are meant to function without magic items/spells/psionics/etc. and still be quite potent. They're in their Homebrewer's Extended Signature (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17189310&postcount=245) under "Hypermundanes Project".

Bobby M
2016-08-04, 10:16 PM
While I unfortunately am unqualified to help with such a feat, I know something related to what you're looking for.

Jormengand made some base classes that are meant to function without magic items/spells/psionics/etc. and still be quite potent. They're in their Homebrewer's Extended Signature (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17189310&postcount=245) under "Hypermundanes Project".

Thanks for the references! I'm not sure the likelyhood of my DM allowing fully homebrewed classes, but I'll see what happens.