PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Warlock Fiend Patron - Alternate Expanded Spell Lists

Devcon1
2016-08-16, 06:49 PM
One of my favorite classes so far in 5e is the Warlock. However, looking upon the expanded spell list for the Fiend, I was somewhat disappointed. It's not that I dislike the expanded spell list, and I understand to put more than one expanded spell list in would be unnecessary, but I feel it doesn't fit some of the major fiends you would forge a pact with. So, I have taken it upon myself to make some alternative expanded spell lists for the Fiend patron, to better fit some of the powerful fiends you may be selling your soul to.

FIEND PATRON: ALTERNATE EXPANDED SPELL LISTS

When choosing the Fiend Patron, a Warlock may either choose the normal Fiend expanded spell list, or choose one of the ones below.

1st Level: Heroism, Hunter's Mark
2nd Level: Alter Self, Darkvision
3rd Level: Conjure Animals, Haste
4th Level: Dominate Beast, Stone Shape
5th Level: Passwall, Wall of Stone

1st Level: Command, Create or Destroy Water
2nd Level: Alter Self, Protection from Poison
3rd Level: Conjure Animals, Tidal Wave
4th Level: Confusion, Evard's Black Tentacles
5th Level: Dominate Person, Maelstrom

1st Level: Disguise Self, Silent Image
2nd Level: Alter Self, Phantasmal Force
3rd Level: Feign Death, Nondetection
4th Level: Confusion, Phantasmal Killer
5th Level: Mislead, Seaming

1st Level: Command, Sanctuary
2nd Level: Calm Emotions, Enthrall
3rd Level: Counterspell, Sending
4th Level: Compulsion, Greater Invisibility
5th Level: Dominate Person, Telekinesis

1st Level: Chromatic Orb, Ray of Sickness
2nd Level: Melf's Acid Arrow, Protection from Poison
3rd Level: Slow, Stinking Cloud
4th Level: Blight, Vitriolic Sphere
5th Level: Cloudkill, Contagion

1st Level: Animal Friendship, Hunter's Mark
2nd Level: Beast Sense, Spiritual Weapon
3rd Level: Conjure Animals, Haste
4th Level: Dominate Beast, Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound
5th Level: Awaken*, Wall of Stone
*May only be used on animals

1st Level: Entangle, Ray of Sickness
2nd Level: Detect Thoughts, Protection from Poison
3rd Level: Speak with Plants, Stinking Cloud
4th Level: Confusion, Grasping Vine
5th Level: Cloudkill, Contagion

The Zoat
2016-08-18, 02:33 AM
These are pretty cool, and it seems pretty much impossible to really break balance by adding only these few spells, so I would definitely allow these almost out of hand.

Gastronomie
2016-08-20, 07:27 AM
Creating new spell lists for respective Patrons is a fun concept (if not one I've seen multiple times), but the difficult part about them is that certain spells go nuts when given to a Warlock.

For instance, you should be cautious with giving the warlocks most minionmancy spells.

Conjure Animals becomes broken when you can cast them multiple times per short rest as a 5th-level spell. You should probably neg that from the list, add in something else, and instead homebrew an Eldritch Invocation (Pre-requiste: Your patron is Baphomet or Yeenoghu or some other patron related to beasts) that allows you to cast Conjure Animals once per day.

Also, isn't Counterspell already in the generic Warlock spell list? I don't think it has any meaning to include it in the expanded list.

Devcon1
2016-08-20, 06:58 PM
Oh, alright. I wasn't thinking of how crazy it could get. I'll try and replace those and counterspell. Many thanks for pointing those things out!