PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other [3.5 Race] Elementians - Sugar, Spice, and the Fundamental Building Blocks of Reality

ShiningStarling
2016-08-24, 04:10 PM
So I wanted to play an elemental. But Elementals aren't exactly viable PC choices, Genasi are too... what's the word... fleshy, and the other homebrews I found were... uninspiring. So as the old saying goes, "If you want something done right, pay a professional to do it, but if that's not really an option then take a whack at it yourself and either call it good enough or decide it wasn't all that important to begin with." Or something like that. Let's go.

The Elementians
“...

good job.” -Grillby, an anthropomorphic Fire Elemental

Elementians are Elementals, just as much as their more barbaric relatives native to the Elemental Planes. However, these elementals are native to the Material Plane. They can come into existence in multiple ways. Sometimes they form when a soul on the Elemental Planes strives for the Material. Sometimes the magic of a rift to an Elemental Plane will form them spontaneously. Elementians also have their own methods of reproduction, likely more magical than biological in nature, though as might be natural, they tend not to disclose the methods to outsiders. Some mages have learned the secret to making Elementians from scratch. Some Extraplanar Elementals can become Elementians if they enjoy their time on the Material Plane, and strive to be more like the native inhabitants. Regardless of how they were created, Elementians are sentient, self-willed creatures, just as any human might be, and despite their appearance being considered monstrous by the common rabble of the other races, they are no more inclined to destruction than any other race.

Elementians come in as many sorts as there are Planes of Elemental energy, four. They all vary from one another in many ways.

Personality:
All Elementians share a deep sense of belonging when in their element, however it is here that their similarities end. While individual Elementians vary in disposition and behavior just as other sentient races of the Material Plane do, they are usually influenced by the nature of their element.

Air Elementians tend to have trouble settling down long term, as their element constantly shifts, they usually begin to feel uncomfortable if they stay in one area for very long.
Earth Elementians suffer the opposite problem, tending to prefer a more rooted existence, often resistant to changes.
Fire Elementians tend to be energetic and passionate, and their level of said passion affects the shade of their flame.
Water Elementians tend to lack firm decision making, usually very accepting of change, and quick to adapt.

Physical Description:
Elementians tend toward the average height and body shapes of humans, save that they generally have no gender differentiation in height, though the dichotomy in form remains. All Elementians are capable of wearing normal clothing for humanoids without damaging it, as their control of their form is good enough to do so. The bodies of all Elementians are tangible, though details of height and shape in the less solid Elementians can change with their state of mind and well being, while still retaining their original size category.

Air Elementians are nearly invisible, save for a few thicker air currents that consistently show, and as such rarely have anything that could be considered facial or distinguishing features. Their body shapes are most clear when they are wearing clothes, at which point one can usually see that their figures tend to be slimmer than humans.
Earth Elementians are the most solid of the bunch, and as such have clearly visible shape and features, as well as more consistency in size and shape. Their bodies are composed of minerals, soils, and stones from near their birthplace and sites of their formative years. Earth Elementians from forests will frequently be interspersed with plant matter as well.
Fire Elementians are more distinct than their air counterparts, and are not as hot as their flames may suggest, though they are still much hotter than any non-magical creature by a long shot. As such they cannot ignite, burn, or singe things simply through contact. Their fire does still rise as a normal fire might, coming out of the top of their head. Their body’s color can be any hue, though the more inward a part of their body is the brighter it's color will be, and their mood will determine how brightly they shine.
Water Elementians are quite like their air counterparts whilst in water, though on land are more distinct and defined, though still fully functional. Their colors can range from clear to blue to green, but often shift based on ambient light.

Relations:
Elementians generally have strained relations with other races of the Material Plane, and certainly with other types of Elementians, though as with all things, there are exceptions.

Air Elementians have decent relations with elves, but usually more so with half elves, and to a lesser extent half orcs, who share their lack of a sense of true belonging.
Earth Elementians get along well with dwarves, and many a gnome loves to be in their company, though many suspect that the gnomes have more of an aesthetic or analytic interest in them, for their unusual mineral patterning that makes up their bodies.
Fire Elementians usually do not live in places that other races do, but some of their desert abodes do border other races, mostly humans, and the Fire Elementians usually do not quarrel with them much, preferring to trade. On an individual basis, they have no real alliances with any other races in particular.
Water Elementians get along well with those they tend to live near underwater. Menfolk and aquatic elves in particular get along with them. While they have no particular reason to dislike Sahuagin, sometimes they are forced to defend themselves from Sahuaginese territory expansion, or to aid their Aquatic Elven allies against invasion.

Alignment:
Elementians tend toward neutrality, at least on the Good versus Evil axis. Air Elementians have more Chaotic leanings from their ever shifting natures, and Earth Elementians tend more toward Law due to their more stable nature.

Elementian Lands: Elementians can be in any sizeable population, primarily those of their greatest Racial relations, but to a lesser extent those of humans. They also generally claim lands around the points that are responsible for their initial creation, sometimes forming communities that can be as large as small cities, with the exception of Air Elementians, whose settlements tend to be much smaller. Settlements always include some sort of site where Elementians who have existed for a long time and weary of the world, where they go to rejoin the primal elemental force.

For Air Elementians, these are tall mountain tops, land held aloft by magic, and wide, windy plains.
For Earth Elementians, these are deep caverns, the roots of mountains, and the hearts of forests.
For Fire Elementians, these are lands surrounding volcanos, arid deserts, and sun baked mesas.
For Water Elementians, these are coral reefs, deep ocean trenches, and great inland seas.

Religion:
Elementians do not by necessity worship any deities in particular. Gods containing the element of an Elementian in their portfolio will see some worship, or gods of balance, but it is more common for Elementians to perform rituals that make them feel closers to their element, and hold views of trying to achieve self perfection. These rituals also tend to be part of an Elementian spellcaster’s spell preparation rituals. Worship of Gods primarily dealing with elements not of the Elementian’s type is taboo in almost all of their communities.

Air Elementians will perform exercises reminiscent of our Tai Chi. The precise movements they make are traditions passed on when an Air Elementian spends a lot of time with another, whether this be through being in the same community or simply spending time together in travels. Air Elementians might also worship gods of travel.
Earth Elementians will have sessions of meditation in groups and individually, either sitting or laying down. Their forms seem to meld slightly with the ground when they are doing so. Depending on the community, rhythmic pounding of the ground may be involved. Earth Elementians might also worship gods related to the well being of a home. Some monarch worship is not unheard of.
Fire Elementians will practice deep breathing exercises, which causes their bodies to swell and ebb. Depending on the community, various fire fuels may be involved, such as specific woods, charcoals, or oils, which are generally eaten, but sometimes burned in a lamp or braziers. Fire Elementians might also worship gods of change, or may worship their great leaders, past or present.
Water Elementians will go for long walks or swims, usually in a more leisurely than athletic manner, though some communities insist on various gymnastic endeavors, stricter communities often being synchronized affairs. Water Elementians might also worship gods of peace.

Language:
Elementians speak the language of their associated element, and most speak common as well. Terran for earth, Aquan for water, Ignan for fire, and Auran for air.

Adventurers:
Elementians make good adventurers, however they do not always do so. Air Elementians fall into the role more naturally, already being more of a wandering sort, while Earth Elementians take their homes and families more heavily into consideration, and so become adventurers less often. Elementian adventurers are not usually divine casters, and only the Earth ones have any particular proclivity for the more melee oriented classes, with Fire Elementians being a somewhat distant second in that regard. Arcane magic is somewhat of a favorite among many Elementian adventurers.

When they themselves are not the adventurers, Elementians often find themselves at odds with them, due to their general similarity with normal elementals, despite clothing and such. That being as it is, Elementians are often discriminated against by other adventurers , and often are forced to defend themselves.

Elementian Racial Traits
These traits are shared by all Elementians. However, they all also have different attributes based on their element, as described after this entry.
The Material subtype weakens the natural characteristics of the Elemental type as follows:

They do not require breathing, food, or sleep, but must perform their rituals daily to prevent suffering from fatigue.
They are not immune to poison, stunning, or paralysis, but have a +4 racial bonus to saves against them. They retain their immunity to sleep effects.
They can be brought back to life, but not by Raise Dead or Reincarnate.
They are immune to critical hits, but not to flanking.

In all other ways they retain the characteristics of the Elemental type. So they keep their Darkvision, but every other trait is at least somewhat different.
Elementians do not age, will never gains bonuses or penalties associated with aging, are immune to any magic that might affect age, and will never die of old age.

Type: Elemental [Material]
Size: Medium, no bonuses or penalties due to size are incurred
Movement: 30 ft. Base land speed
Skills: Knowledge (planes) +2 Racial bonus
Saves: +4 racial bonus against poison, stun, and paralysis, immune to sleep effects
Level Adjustment: +1

Air Elementian Racial Traits
Type: Air subtype
Abilities: +2 Dex, -2 Str
Movement: Ascend, 60 ft. Glide (perfect)
Special Qualities: Insubstantiality, One with Air

Earth Elementian Racial Traits
Type: Earth subtype
Abilities: +2 Con, -2 Dex
Armor Class: +2 Natural
Movement: 30 ft. Burrow (no tunnel left behind)
Special Qualities: One with Earth

Fire Elementian Racial Traits
Type: Fire subtype
Movement: Hover, 40 ft. Glide (Perfect)
Skills:
Special Qualities: Insubstantiality, Immunity to Fire, Vulnerability to Cold, One with Fire

Water Elementian Racial Traits
Type: Water subtype
Movement: 40 ft. Swim
Special Qualities: Insubstantiality, One with Water

Ascend (Movement type): This quality allows its possessor to move ascend 5 feet vertically as part of other movement.

Hover (Movement type): This quality allows its possessors to hover at roughly their current elevation and descend at up to 50 ft. per round, but not ascend. They ignore penalties for rough ground, caltrops, and other effects upon ground movement of a harmful nature. Holds, entangles, webs, and the like still function. They cannot take fall damage while conscious.

Glide (Movement type): This quality allows its possessors to move horizontally at the given speed per 5 feet of descent. This speed also relies on Maneuverability, as flight does.

Insubstantiality (Ex): Many Elementians possess this trait. When targeted by Non-magical Attacks, this quality imposes a 20% miss chance. This quality also bestows a +2 Racial bonus to Acrobatics and Escape Artist.

One with Element: Elementians can always act within their element unhindered.

Air Elementians are not affected by wind unless they want to be.
Earth Elementians can transition between burrowing and normal movement without penalty.
Fire Elementians are not retricted in movement through Lava.
Water Elementians can use non piercing weapons underwater.

In addition, when totally immersed in their element, Elementians gain Fast Healing 1, a +1 Dodge bonus to AC, and a +1 Racial bonus to all saving throws so long as they have performed their rituals within the last 24 hours. Being "totally immersed" means that Air Elementians must be airborne, Earth Elementians must be covered totally in Earth, Fires Elementians must be in a situation where they would be subject to persistant fire damage were they not immune to it, and Water Elementians must be underwater, and not on the floor of the body of water they are in.

KarlMarx
2016-08-24, 04:51 PM
Having a fly speed at ECL 2 is overpowered. Spellcasters can't get this until lvl 5, at which point Fly spells and the like become much more manageable and creatures can counter it more effectively.

Being able to fly over the goblins and rain death upon them isn't balanced.

ShiningStarling
2016-08-24, 05:59 PM
Having a fly speed at ECL 2 is overpowered. Spellcasters can't get this until lvl 5, at which point Fly spells and the like become much more manageable and creatures can counter it more effectively.

Yep. Sure isn't. Nothing else really ended up fitting without basically making them the same as the Fire ones without the immunity/vulnerability. My reasoning is that 30 ft. of flying is a lot more balanced than the standard 60 ft. Perhaps I should make it scale off Hit Dice instead, I don't know. Thoughts?

Zaydos
2016-08-24, 06:04 PM
Question on One with Earth: How does it interact with roots and places with plants such as grass? I mean depending upon that when in the wilderness you can pull all the earth glide tricks of you know only showing your face and arm to strike creatures and it gets much, much stronger than 2nd level burrow.

Question on Insubstantiability: How do Magic weapons work with this?

ShiningStarling
2016-08-24, 06:08 PM
Question on One with Earth: How does it interact with roots and places with plants such as grass? I mean depending upon that when in the wilderness you can pull all the earth glide tricks of you know only showing your face and arm to strike creatures and it gets much, much stronger than 2nd level burrow.

Question on Insubstantiability: How do Magic weapons work with this?
To question 1, it might work like that from how I have it written. Not sure if I want to fix that. May bump these guys up to LA 2, or maybe make paragon classes...

To question 2

A magical attack with a caster level less than the hit dice (or less than half hit dice in the case of magical weapons) of someone with this quality suffers a 20% miss chance

Zaydos
2016-08-24, 06:19 PM
To question 1, it might work like that from how I have it written. Not sure if I want to fix that. May bump these guys up to LA 2, or maybe make paragon classes...

To question 2

So magic weapons (as in a +1 sword) follow the rules for magic attacks (as in 20% miss chance because magic weapons have low CL) and not 50% damage? What about natural weapons of creatures with DR x/magic?

Also what about Supernatural special attacks? They aren't non-magical, but they lack CL.

ShiningStarling
2016-08-24, 08:26 PM
So magic weapons (as in a +1 sword) follow the rules for magic attacks (as in 20% miss chance because magic weapons have low CL) and not 50% damage? What about natural weapons of creatures with DR x/magic?

Also what about Supernatural special attacks? They aren't non-magical, but they lack CL.

Supernatural special Attacks and natural weapons with dr/magic I would say count as CL=HD (will clarify in OP)

As for your +1 sword, yes, you woukd be correct, but only when the caster level of the creator is half or lower than... you know, I think I may just take out the magic attack bit, it's kind of obtuse. I wanted to make the ability at least a bit meaningful in mid to late levels... I don't know. Don't suppose you mechanical mind has any suggestions there? I'll probably give it another go over when I get home, but still.

Zaydos
2016-08-24, 08:57 PM
Supernatural special Attacks and natural weapons with dr/magic I would say count as CL=HD (will clarify in OP)

As for your +1 sword, yes, you woukd be correct, but only when the caster level of the creator is half or lower than... you know, I think I may just take out the magic attack bit, it's kind of obtuse. I wanted to make the ability at least a bit meaningful in mid to late levels... I don't know. Don't suppose you mechanical mind has any suggestions there? I'll probably give it another go over when I get home, but still.

Without the magical attack bit it's just a little clunky weird DR X/magic. That said I like it without that if you take out the total immunity from One with Element as that makes Air Elementians invincible at low levels unless the DM designs encounters just to screw them which is just a bad design place to go. With the magical attack bit...

Is this PF or 3.5?

Is LA Buy-Off intended to be in play?

I can't say for PF. In 3.5 with LA Buy-Off in play I'd never allow them with it with the magical attack bit, I'd be hesitant without because...

At CR 13 (chosen because high enough "DR /magic is useless" and to fight as late as 20th and has over twice as many creatures as CR 14):

Beholder: Has CL 13, if you're fighting them beyond Lv 14 (i.e. when 2 are a challenge) you have 20% immunity.

Glabrezu: Has CL 14 and AoEs. That said most of their damage is their melee abilities which while they overcome DR as Evil do not overcome DR as magic. Flight is still massive.

Gelugon: Has 14 HD, its SLAs aren't too offensive, its main offense is its save or suck rider on its melee attack. Its melee attack is non-magic, however, which means you take half. Flight is massive.

Ghaele: Get around by not needing attack rolls for their magic. Their light rays are non magic and deal half damage.

Storm Giant: Main damage is non-magic weapons. Can do Chain Lightning once.

Iron Golem: Main damage is non-magic weapons. Breath weapon has a laugh off DC (19 at Lv 13 is not particularly high for not a save or lose, poor Fort fliers should never get into melee with them but that's more about their class).

Lich: It doesn't matter most of their stuff is non-attack roll based.

Death Slaad: Holy cow this thing has a 9th level daily SLA. Well ok this thing will SoD you. It's other offense is buffing in combat and then... non-magical melee attacks.

Unicorn (Celestial Charger): Doesn't use attack roll spells, has 15 HD, and with the 1/2 HD for magic weapons means a +3 weapon ignores insubstantiability whether you read its horn as having a +3 weapon's CL or its hit dice. Of course it's got 4th level spells and no way of melee-ing a flyer.

12-Headed Hydra Pyro/Cyro: Primary damage is ungodly breath weapon which is ungodly (36d6 damage if you're within 20 ft). Other than that it just has its full attack which is non-magic.

The three CR 13 dragons all have breath weapon but main damage is their nat weapons which count as magic... in many cases as of CR 13 (White Dragon counts as of CR 8, Gold doesn't until CR 14)

Final judgement:

From a gamist point of view: DR 1/magic + 1/4 (or 1/3, or 2 + 1/4 or 2 + 1/3) HD remains relevant and is more balanced and simpler despite the internet saying DR X/magic is useless beyond 5th level because except for humanoid foes and dragons things don't overcome it unless they circumvent DR entirely. These types of foes are also the most work to build and run, and typically circumvent it entirely in the humanoid foes case (as they typically get built if you are steamrolling things and people decide to throw casters at you). It also balances better against Earth (as is Earth is broken if it can pull the xorn/earth elemental/incorporeal trick of poke face out and smacky-smack while having improved cover and a 5 ft step from total cover, and weaker than the rest in any situation it can't). It's a little less damage reduction than 1/2 especially at low levels, so might even go 3 + 1/4, but I'd generally say that ECL 2 or lower DR should not reach higher than 2 (really max DR goes 2/5/10/if surpassable 15 though 15 pushes it to the 'I take 25% damage if they can't, I die if they can' range which is iffy).

From a I don't know which narrativist or simulationist point of view: I'd remove the ability entirely. Air elementals aren't insubstantial, though I can't fathom why, and it feels weird that ones which are partially (Prime) Material would. I might still give them all (including earth) DR X/magic but that's a different story.

gooddragon1
2016-08-24, 09:03 PM

On paper yes. In practice as a DM maybe.

I had a flying character at level 1. The DM just put us in a cave because the enemy wasn't dumb enough to give me a mobility advantage. It definitely helps, but a DM can just modify the encounters.

Giving them the ability to ignore wind effects while flying is definitely nice, but situational.

The real problem I'm having is this insubstantiality deal. It's not as strong as being incorporeal, but taking half damage from nonmagical attacks can really hurt a lot of strategies a DM might use. I would say making the 20% miss chance solid across the board for all attack types except ones with a certain elemental descriptor (for flavor purposes, electricity in the case of air (ripped from heroes of might and magic), cold in the case of water (ditto), fire for fire, acid in the case of earth (though you might want to go opposites or some other way)).

Imo, a 20% miss chance and the mobility would definitely make a race worth the +1 LA. Also, what's their aging look like (assuming immortal due to elemental type)? Nonstandard resurrection as well?

Zaydos
2016-08-24, 09:09 PM
If you make it a continuous blur (that blindsight doesn't negate) it does become more reasonable, but it's still unbalancing on +1 LA along with Flight. That's if you remove the increase to insubstantiability from being 10-ft away from non-air things.

Though one could make it 20% miss chance from non-magical attacks. It'd still take thematic cues from Incorporeal for the narrativist/simulationist side, while working a lot better from the gamist point of view.

Also just realized Elemental Assault isn't defined, and Feather Fall prevents fall damage by making your descent slow (50 ft/round instead of 300 ft/round) so the line in gliding is a little odd and probably should just reference flying and the ability to glide down at a slower speed if falling for some reason (like a fly speed allows).

Compared to PF races they might clock in at +1 LA (there you get into them having subpar instead of average ability mods which hurt a lot).

ShiningStarling
2016-08-25, 01:14 AM
Ok, jiggered a few things. Nerfed and simplified Insubstantiality. Air Elementians no longer Fly per se, they merely can ascend 5 feet when they make some other movement, and now glide and hover as well. Earth Elementians no longer attack through walls and such, they simply transition between burrowing and other movement without penalty. One with Element no longer makes insubstantiality better or more complicated. The Dodge bonuses to AC are now tied to One with Element rather than being constant. Earth Elementians have 1 less Natural Armor. One with Element now no longer has the whole "5-foot-bubble", since it lost the insubstantiality buff, it just requires that they not be touching any of the other elements (except fire, they just have to be on fire in some way other than their natural way).

Also added notes on aging. Elementian Lands now describes site where Old Elementians might go back to their primal forces, and the Elementian traits specifies their lack of aging.

Hopefully this balance run will help, cheers.

... wow I feel really inarticulate right now. Hope that didn't come through too much when I was trying to make things clear in the entry.