PDA

View Full Version : Scientific Term for C'thulhu

Hawkflight
2016-09-14, 12:32 AM
Okay, so I have a bit of an odd question to outsource to y'all. In a superhero game I'm in, we're dealing with some of the Great Old Ones(TM), and I was wondering - okay, so biology is the study of organisms on Earth, astrobiology is the study of the biology of alien organisms, and xenobiology is the study of synthetic organisms, right? So, what would be the scientific term for the study of the biology of Great Old Ones(TM)?

Kami2awa
2016-09-14, 12:42 AM
Paleoastrobiology - because they're alien, and ancient.

Cosmobiology - astronomy/astrophysics is the study of stars, cosmology of the whole universe. Cosmobiology is astrobiology similarly scaled up.

P'nakotology - because the very concept can't be expressed fully in human language.

Trellobiology - from trellos in Greek, meaning mad (this may be wrong, apologies to any Greek speakers).

oudeis
2016-09-14, 12:50 AM
Kakistobiology?

kieza
2016-09-14, 12:53 AM
Necrosomnobiology, as in "dead, sleeping," as in "that is not dead which can eternal lie." Bonus points if you refer to that kind of entity as "necrosomnolent."

Magnigerontobiology, from the roots magni-, great, and geront-, old.

Inscrutabiology

Incomprehensibiology

JAL_1138
2016-09-14, 12:54 AM
The scientific term for the study of the Great Old Ones would probabP͚̩̠̥̊ͨH̜͔ͬ̊'̯̗̰͚̙͚̞̄N̗̜̹͉̖ͭͮ͝G͇̯̟̻ͨ͛̀̂ͨ̈L̐̇ ̘̦̰͚̙̠̗̌ͬU͈͎͕̫̤̠̇̍ͬ̅ͯ͌̋Í͓̟̳̻ͨ͋ͪ̔ͅ ̨͌̆͑ͧ̏̃M̧̨͚̘̀̎̅̚͟G̷͎̻̺̖͖̩͆̽̚L̸̩̯̠̫̽ͨ͗̆͆̈͢ͅW̽͂̋͋̾ͬ̀ ̢̇҉̗̙̖'̖̙͓̫̠̩̺̯̦ͭ͐ͨ́ͦͯ̉͠N̳̰̻̮̼̫̳̺̽͛ͣͨ͆̆A̼͔͑̐ͤ̀͝F̓ͥ ̨̘̥̠̩ͨ̍̏̃̚͜H̨͉̗̟͓̘̳͉͙̔̅ͬČ͛ͬ̄ͭͯͩ͆҉̧̧̞̲͇̯T̈ͫͥ̔͗͌̀̔̒ ̸̼̣͖͔͕̜̮͚̜̭̏͋̾̑͋̐ͪ́͢͡H̸̨̞̠̰̹̺͎̯̪̭̯̱̗͌̆̽ͬͮ̄̈͊ͩ͗͐̍̈́͟ ͎̯̪̹̞͓U͎͖̩͙̤̞̰̤̯̖̪̤̺͚͂͑̉̍͆̌̈͛ͧ̈͐̌͐͛ͯͧ̎͘̕͢͜͞L͋ͪ̉ͬ͗ͪ ̡̟̩̺̬͉͛ͩ̋ͫͧ̌́̎̓͂͢H̸̳͓̺̘͔̩̻͓͕̪̗̯̬͒̏̆ͩ̒̀͟U̷͂̓̌̇͐̋ͦ̊̚ ̵̱̟̩̱͔̜͖̘̯͓̣̪͖̟͇͘͟͝ ̶̯͖̮͕͈̀ͧ̀̄̈́̀̚̕͟R̶̼̯̠͔̲͔̜̻̞̬̻̰̠̭̲̩̜ͥ̈ͪ̋̈́̅̾ͫ̐ͤ͊̓ͪ͟͜͠ '̨͑̍͊̐̒͜͠҉̖̘͇̫͓̞͓̪̠͉͢ͅĻ̫̞̱̬̍̉̊̆ͣ̋ͦͫ͜Ỷͮ̐͗ͭ̎̋̑̃̍͒̚ ̶̢̗͙̠͎̘̞̩̣̼͠͞Ë̡̬̘̗̹̬̫͉͚̟̘̹̥̳͙̦͚́ͣ̾̓̎ͬͫͤ̂͑ͫ͛̈́̂̒̓̇͟ͅ Ḫ̵̢̞̮̭̱̺̠̿̌̿ͭ̌̐ͤͦ̉͌͛̀ͩ́̀ ̛͚̯͉̙̫̪̬̣̖̩̟̞͙̫͎͌̎̍́̽ͯẄ́ͭͨ͆҉͏̰͔̘̫̪̙͍̞Ḡ̷̤̣͓͕̮͇ͯ̂̃͠ ̺̣͕͎̫̳͓̩̫A͗̔̓̉̐ͬ̄̎̆̓ͯ̏̓̑͒͞҉̦̟͇͔͉̯͇̹͙̳̜̰͍ͅHͥ̅ͦ͂͊̒̔̅ ̸͖̞̞̘͚̠̙̞̦̼̠̳̳͔̘͉̣͡ͅͅ'̣̤̞̠̤̼͇͎̮̉̿͊͐̂̋ͯͥ́̓̀̑͆̔̾͊͠͞ͅ ͔̮̰̠͇̺̫̫̯N̶̴̛͎͖̩̗͎̽͑̅̓̉͐͌̉ͨ͆̊̆́Ä́̅ͥͮͫͮͤͣ̉̎͋ͯ̓̾̉̓̅̚ ̨̛̳͎̖͖̬͇̲̳̜̫̘̥̭͙̣͑͘G̵̜̜̗͔̺̘̺̜̲̗̪͍̩̠̃̅̊͛ͧ̈́͝͠ͅL̈́ͭͣ̏͂ ̸̴͎̪̪̥̪̫͉͙̭̮͔̄͆̈́̈ͤͦ̾̾ͮ̓̏͞ ̸̸̨̥̙̫͚̻̰͔̜̗̱̻͛̈́͑̐̑͢F̼̘̔͊̎̈̑̿ͦͪͧ́̚͜ͅH͆ͬ͆̂̎̾̆̎̈́̉͒̽͢ ̷̷̫̜̱͙͙̻͖̼͓͉̩̟͜T̸̊͐̎̐̈́̐̔ͪ͋̽̄҉҉̸̻͖̞̣͔̣̞̼͍͎͈̻̀Aͦͭ̿͆̉ ̧̻͇͈̯̗͎̓̒͗̾̐̏̋̃̈̀͠G̲̯͙͉͎̻̩ͯ̈́̀̔ͫͭ̽̅ͣ̒̈́̏̊̾͒̅ͩ̾̍͝N̎͗̚ ̸̨̰͓̻̳̬͕̕ͅ A̖̝̗̩͎͓̝͙̬̗͒̓͆ͯ̓̑͑͐ͫ͘͝Ḧ̬͉̫͔͕́̉ͤͭ̄ͬ͛͑̇̈́͋̾̑̀Á̵͊̋͑́͂ ̤̳͖͇͘͟H̢ͥ̄̌͒͑ͧ͐͊̀̑ͦ̐ͤ̎̈͡҉̛̟̜̥̰̥̺͉̹͔͙̻͙Ä́ͦ͗ͧ̽ͥ͛̚҉͝͠ ̗̥̱̩͕̕̕H̬̟̜̟̩͚̩̲̫̱̜͕̰͉͚͒̈̊ͫ̈́ͤͯͫ̅͂̃͌̆ͤͤ́͢͝ͅAͥ̽ͯ̈͋͋̓ ̷̡̡̤̘͓͉̠̝̞͍̭̱͓̏͐̐̆̆͒̐ͥ̎ͬ̀͗̀͜ͅH̴̗͈̥͍͈̣̓ͭͪ͒̽͘͜͠͡À̔̐ ̢͚̤͈̥̥̻̠̪͗ͮͨ̓ͭ̐ͨ̍͒̋H̶̷̶͙̹̯͈̻̬̭̟̭̞̤̾͛ͦͪͤͭͧͧ̋̇̄̆̈́ͤͧͦ ͚͇͖̜̫̣̻̬A̮͉̩̺̱̫͓̤̱͉̖̙̯̫͔̤̜͕̭̋̃͐̔̔ͪ̌ͭ͢Hͥ͌͐̑̀ͩ̾ͦ̍̍̽̀ ̢̼̗̪̯̟̠͚̘͚̬̟̠͈̟̥̫͈̖ͪ͒͟͞ͅA̖͚̽̉̃͑͂ͦ̀ͭ̽̒̾ͪ̀̓̔̒͞͝ͅḦͧ̌ ̧̢͕̰̜̠̤̭̜̻̘̞̺̹̹̦̗̽Ả̢̠̖͇̜̜͖̭̪̙͒ͪͭͦ̌ͦͦͯͨ͘Ḧ͗̂ͮ̒̐̌͢͟ ̥͎̺̹́͝Ḫ̸̞͚̳̗̱͖̺̹̳̞̞̘ͤͫ͌ͮ̈̐͆ͩ̌̏͂̐̏ͣͫ̐ͬ̀͘͞R̍̈ͯ̎ͥͯ̈́́ ̧͔̥̫̞̺͍͇̭̼͎̲̱̊ͬ̄Hͣ̏͌̏̔̊ͩ̄̎ͯ̀͛ͧͬ҉̵̦̩̖͎͕̼̠̱͇̹̜̖̰̹̯͞ͅ ̟̰R̰̞̞̱̞̹̞̿ͦ͊͗̔ͦ̔ͣ̎͐̄͐̀͘͢Ḩ͍̠̺̞̝̻̭ͣ̓͐ͪ̐̋͑̈̐̒ͮ͡ͅG͐̈́ ̴͈̯͖͇̩͓̳̝͚̤̟̮͚ͧ̎̏̓̌̀́ͧͯ̕͟L̵̷͖͈̝͙͍͚̞͂͛͒̇̈͛ͥ̏ͬ̈ͤ̔̌̊͐ ͈͎̳Ȑ̸̶̡̺̥͈͈̞̘̰̬̩͎̹̤̤̻̜͕̥̳ͥ̾̿ͦͮͬͤͣ͒ͫ͌̽ͦ̄̄͛͐B̧̿̂̃ͤ̚ ͈̥̜̬̗̼̺͖͔̥̹̩̕L̶̹̝̟̯̦̠͎̙͎̩̱̠̥̝̩̺̇ͬͫ̄̌́ͩͧͣ̂ͥ̄̕R̸͐̅͐̂ ̩̜̟̳̘͎̭̀B̵̨͉͉͍̫̠̂̇̔̎͊ͭͯ̈͒ͥ̓ͤ̌̈́̑ͦ͢Ĺ͌͊ͫͥ̄ͬ̇̇ͪͦͫ͋̓͐̄ ̢͔̦̳͉̻̭̫̀͐͜͟͠͡Ṟ̵͎̦̗̘̱̫̜̗̤͆ͨ̍͛ͥ̓̌̓̄̆̚G͗ͦ̌͌ͧ͋́̎͗̇ͥ̾ ͢͞͏̯͚̹̫͇̤̬͇͇ͅR̼͚̫̳̭͔͚͇̻͖̙͇̍̈́͗̆̏͛̒́̚̚͝Ř̸̰̞̱̉͂̂̎̈́̌̔ ̖͎̹Ä̝̬̲̳̳̥̩͇̪̥͍̟̝̯̯̖̺́ͣͭ͛̽̈̀A̷̶͇̘̯̠̣̳̞ͨ̍̇̂̈́̆ͭ̍̄̆͢͠ ͕̝̲̣Ḧ̞̠̖̗̝̜̀͊̊̏ͬ̂̒̕͜R̵̨̛̯̣͉̪̬͇̹̣̖̲̝͆͂͊̔͊ͣ̊͂̌̌͟Gͯ́ ̸̢̡̨̗̦͉̖̝̩̯̗͚̰͈͇̝̼̻̤͆̾ͭͧͪ̀̂̾̓̇ͬ͊ͭ͠L̵̮͆ͦͣͪͩ̾ͧͫ̿̊̃̾͟ ̺̪͓̱̫̰̲̼̝̳̲̗̬̞̟̝͚ͅB̷̷̄̆̿͊͛͑ͤͨ̒̾̍̑̔̇̉͊̑͑͏̝̤̘͈̟̣̟̬͜͟ ̼͖͓L̷̨͎̫̖̖̣̮̖͂ͭ̊̈́͋̇͐ͣ̾ͫ̀̔ͫ̇̏̚̚̕͝Ḇ̴̷̢̛̠͚̗ͩͦͭ͐̉ͭ̃̀ͅ ̣͕̻̫̩͓͓͚̜̦̟̱̭̯Ĺ͉̭̭͇̦̱̯̱͇͉̱̫̙͚̬̹͕̃̓̿͒ͣ̀̕ͅR̡ͨ̒̄̓ͫ͘͜ ̜͖͔̫̯̝̘̠͓̫̞̫̹͚͚̤B̶̡͍̝̘̹͙̯̘͇̯̺̙͊ͩ͛̔̾̎̌ͬ̿̿̒̀ͪ̒͆͒͗͢͞ͅ ̳̫̲̖Ṟ̢̛̭̗͚̟̹̞͍̜̰̙̠͔͇̥ͥ̊̔͋̉͞Ļ̡̌̊̄͊̇͐̌ͭ͋͊ͣ̎̀ͯ̽ͣ̚͢͝ ̵̹̠͉̖̩̣̺͕͕̗̯̺̠̤͉͎

C̼̭̙̀̍͐͑̂͐̃̍̑ͬ̈̚͜T̢̯̘̫̯̫̥̝̰͖̞͆̾ͣͧ̓ͭ̄ͫ͗̃̒͛̄ͧ̀̅ͭͨ͘͞͝ ͈̭̺̦̯̲̪ͅH̢̋̀̉̂̍͐ͦ̒ͨ́ͮ̃̚͏̘̻͚͔̦͔͓͔̭͉̱̤̲̭̳̜Ů̍ͯ̀ͭ̈́̋̋̚ ̨͎̯̭̱͈̰̮̥̜̠̖̱̲̳̪͑̂͛̀ͯ̅̕͡͞ͅL̢̇̓͒̄ͪ̇̏̓̔͏͘͏̞̜͈̻̦̫̼̠̱ͅ ̩͙̫̻H̡̦͍̠̝̪̞̬̟͖̠̙̻͙̼ͯ̀͊̂́͊ͤͥ͆̐͗͂̔ͭ̽̂̌̿̕͞Û͐̃ͨͪ̓̈̉̌ ̴̡̨̹̥̖͔͙̞̱̣̠̆̐ͮ͐̾ͨ̇͞ ̶̟͎̣̳͓̬͙͚̔ͯ͐̋́̀ͩͤ̌͐̾ͪͩ̊͑̇͋̕͟F̛̳͙͙͕͎̣̭͖̓ͬ̍͋͂ͫͥ̿̉ͮͤͅ ̥̘͎̘͕̝̺̦ͅH̨̧̛̹̮̯̰̥̭̣̦̜̗̺̰̤̗̤ͤͧͫ̀̑͒̓T̵̢ͣ̈͋͋̒͐ͯ͌͗̉ͨ͜ ̰͉̻͇͇̬̩̪ͅĄ̶̯̘̞̣̬̖̬̪̫̲̟̪͇̬̲̥̈ͬ̆ͯͮ̉ͦ̈͠G̨̝̟̥͎͉̅́ͯ̒̀̀ ̻͔͙͍͉͙̼͎͕Ṋ̸̛̟̩͔̊̇͆ͨ̆̐̆̆̊͢͡͞

Hawkflight
2016-09-14, 12:56 AM
The scientific term for the study of the Great Old Ones would probabP͚̩̠̥̊ͨH̜͔ͬ̊'̯̗̰͚̙͚̞̄N̗̜̹͉̖ͭͮ͝G͇̯̟̻ͨ͛̀̂ͨ̈L̐̇ ̘̦̰͚̙̠̗̌ͬU͈͎͕̫̤̠̇̍ͬ̅ͯ͌̋Í͓̟̳̻ͨ͋ͪ̔ͅ ̨͌̆͑ͧ̏̃M̧̨͚̘̀̎̅̚͟G̷͎̻̺̖͖̩͆̽̚L̸̩̯̠̫̽ͨ͗̆͆̈͢ͅW̽͂̋͋̾ͬ̀ ̢̇҉̗̙̖'̖̙͓̫̠̩̺̯̦ͭ͐ͨ́ͦͯ̉͠N̳̰̻̮̼̫̳̺̽͛ͣͨ͆̆A̼͔͑̐ͤ̀͝F̓ͥ ̨̘̥̠̩ͨ̍̏̃̚͜H̨͉̗̟͓̘̳͉͙̔̅ͬČ͛ͬ̄ͭͯͩ͆҉̧̧̞̲͇̯T̈ͫͥ̔͗͌̀̔̒ ̸̼̣͖͔͕̜̮͚̜̭̏͋̾̑͋̐ͪ́͢͡H̸̨̞̠̰̹̺͎̯̪̭̯̱̗͌̆̽ͬͮ̄̈͊ͩ͗͐̍̈́͟ ͎̯̪̹̞͓U͎͖̩͙̤̞̰̤̯̖̪̤̺͚͂͑̉̍͆̌̈͛ͧ̈͐̌͐͛ͯͧ̎͘̕͢͜͞L͋ͪ̉ͬ͗ͪ ̡̟̩̺̬͉͛ͩ̋ͫͧ̌́̎̓͂͢H̸̳͓̺̘͔̩̻͓͕̪̗̯̬͒̏̆ͩ̒̀͟U̷͂̓̌̇͐̋ͦ̊̚ ̵̱̟̩̱͔̜͖̘̯͓̣̪͖̟͇͘͟͝ ̶̯͖̮͕͈̀ͧ̀̄̈́̀̚̕͟R̶̼̯̠͔̲͔̜̻̞̬̻̰̠̭̲̩̜ͥ̈ͪ̋̈́̅̾ͫ̐ͤ͊̓ͪ͟͜͠ '̨͑̍͊̐̒͜͠҉̖̘͇̫͓̞͓̪̠͉͢ͅĻ̫̞̱̬̍̉̊̆ͣ̋ͦͫ͜Ỷͮ̐͗ͭ̎̋̑̃̍͒̚ ̶̢̗͙̠͎̘̞̩̣̼͠͞Ë̡̬̘̗̹̬̫͉͚̟̘̹̥̳͙̦͚́ͣ̾̓̎ͬͫͤ̂͑ͫ͛̈́̂̒̓̇͟ͅ Ḫ̵̢̞̮̭̱̺̠̿̌̿ͭ̌̐ͤͦ̉͌͛̀ͩ́̀ ̛͚̯͉̙̫̪̬̣̖̩̟̞͙̫͎͌̎̍́̽ͯẄ́ͭͨ͆҉͏̰͔̘̫̪̙͍̞Ḡ̷̤̣͓͕̮͇ͯ̂̃͠ ̺̣͕͎̫̳͓̩̫A͗̔̓̉̐ͬ̄̎̆̓ͯ̏̓̑͒͞҉̦̟͇͔͉̯͇̹͙̳̜̰͍ͅHͥ̅ͦ͂͊̒̔̅ ̸͖̞̞̘͚̠̙̞̦̼̠̳̳͔̘͉̣͡ͅͅ'̣̤̞̠̤̼͇͎̮̉̿͊͐̂̋ͯͥ́̓̀̑͆̔̾͊͠͞ͅ ͔̮̰̠͇̺̫̫̯N̶̴̛͎͖̩̗͎̽͑̅̓̉͐͌̉ͨ͆̊̆́Ä́̅ͥͮͫͮͤͣ̉̎͋ͯ̓̾̉̓̅̚ ̨̛̳͎̖͖̬͇̲̳̜̫̘̥̭͙̣͑͘G̵̜̜̗͔̺̘̺̜̲̗̪͍̩̠̃̅̊͛ͧ̈́͝͠ͅL̈́ͭͣ̏͂ ̸̴͎̪̪̥̪̫͉͙̭̮͔̄͆̈́̈ͤͦ̾̾ͮ̓̏͞ ̸̸̨̥̙̫͚̻̰͔̜̗̱̻͛̈́͑̐̑͢F̼̘̔͊̎̈̑̿ͦͪͧ́̚͜ͅH͆ͬ͆̂̎̾̆̎̈́̉͒̽͢ ̷̷̫̜̱͙͙̻͖̼͓͉̩̟͜T̸̊͐̎̐̈́̐̔ͪ͋̽̄҉҉̸̻͖̞̣͔̣̞̼͍͎͈̻̀Aͦͭ̿͆̉ ̧̻͇͈̯̗͎̓̒͗̾̐̏̋̃̈̀͠G̲̯͙͉͎̻̩ͯ̈́̀̔ͫͭ̽̅ͣ̒̈́̏̊̾͒̅ͩ̾̍͝N̎͗̚ ̸̨̰͓̻̳̬͕̕ͅ A̖̝̗̩͎͓̝͙̬̗͒̓͆ͯ̓̑͑͐ͫ͘͝Ḧ̬͉̫͔͕́̉ͤͭ̄ͬ͛͑̇̈́͋̾̑̀Á̵͊̋͑́͂ ̤̳͖͇͘͟H̢ͥ̄̌͒͑ͧ͐͊̀̑ͦ̐ͤ̎̈͡҉̛̟̜̥̰̥̺͉̹͔͙̻͙Ä́ͦ͗ͧ̽ͥ͛̚҉͝͠ ̗̥̱̩͕̕̕H̬̟̜̟̩͚̩̲̫̱̜͕̰͉͚͒̈̊ͫ̈́ͤͯͫ̅͂̃͌̆ͤͤ́͢͝ͅAͥ̽ͯ̈͋͋̓ ̷̡̡̤̘͓͉̠̝̞͍̭̱͓̏͐̐̆̆͒̐ͥ̎ͬ̀͗̀͜ͅH̴̗͈̥͍͈̣̓ͭͪ͒̽͘͜͠͡À̔̐ ̢͚̤͈̥̥̻̠̪͗ͮͨ̓ͭ̐ͨ̍͒̋H̶̷̶͙̹̯͈̻̬̭̟̭̞̤̾͛ͦͪͤͭͧͧ̋̇̄̆̈́ͤͧͦ ͚͇͖̜̫̣̻̬A̮͉̩̺̱̫͓̤̱͉̖̙̯̫͔̤̜͕̭̋̃͐̔̔ͪ̌ͭ͢Hͥ͌͐̑̀ͩ̾ͦ̍̍̽̀ ̢̼̗̪̯̟̠͚̘͚̬̟̠͈̟̥̫͈̖ͪ͒͟͞ͅA̖͚̽̉̃͑͂ͦ̀ͭ̽̒̾ͪ̀̓̔̒͞͝ͅḦͧ̌ ̧̢͕̰̜̠̤̭̜̻̘̞̺̹̹̦̗̽Ả̢̠̖͇̜̜͖̭̪̙͒ͪͭͦ̌ͦͦͯͨ͘Ḧ͗̂ͮ̒̐̌͢͟ ̥͎̺̹́͝Ḫ̸̞͚̳̗̱͖̺̹̳̞̞̘ͤͫ͌ͮ̈̐͆ͩ̌̏͂̐̏ͣͫ̐ͬ̀͘͞R̍̈ͯ̎ͥͯ̈́́ ̧͔̥̫̞̺͍͇̭̼͎̲̱̊ͬ̄Hͣ̏͌̏̔̊ͩ̄̎ͯ̀͛ͧͬ҉̵̦̩̖͎͕̼̠̱͇̹̜̖̰̹̯͞ͅ ̟̰R̰̞̞̱̞̹̞̿ͦ͊͗̔ͦ̔ͣ̎͐̄͐̀͘͢Ḩ͍̠̺̞̝̻̭ͣ̓͐ͪ̐̋͑̈̐̒ͮ͡ͅG͐̈́ ̴͈̯͖͇̩͓̳̝͚̤̟̮͚ͧ̎̏̓̌̀́ͧͯ̕͟L̵̷͖͈̝͙͍͚̞͂͛͒̇̈͛ͥ̏ͬ̈ͤ̔̌̊͐ ͈͎̳Ȑ̸̶̡̺̥͈͈̞̘̰̬̩͎̹̤̤̻̜͕̥̳ͥ̾̿ͦͮͬͤͣ͒ͫ͌̽ͦ̄̄͛͐B̧̿̂̃ͤ̚ ͈̥̜̬̗̼̺͖͔̥̹̩̕L̶̹̝̟̯̦̠͎̙͎̩̱̠̥̝̩̺̇ͬͫ̄̌́ͩͧͣ̂ͥ̄̕R̸͐̅͐̂ ̩̜̟̳̘͎̭̀B̵̨͉͉͍̫̠̂̇̔̎͊ͭͯ̈͒ͥ̓ͤ̌̈́̑ͦ͢Ĺ͌͊ͫͥ̄ͬ̇̇ͪͦͫ͋̓͐̄ ̢͔̦̳͉̻̭̫̀͐͜͟͠͡Ṟ̵͎̦̗̘̱̫̜̗̤͆ͨ̍͛ͥ̓̌̓̄̆̚G͗ͦ̌͌ͧ͋́̎͗̇ͥ̾ ͢͞͏̯͚̹̫͇̤̬͇͇ͅR̼͚̫̳̭͔͚͇̻͖̙͇̍̈́͗̆̏͛̒́̚̚͝Ř̸̰̞̱̉͂̂̎̈́̌̔ ̖͎̹Ä̝̬̲̳̳̥̩͇̪̥͍̟̝̯̯̖̺́ͣͭ͛̽̈̀A̷̶͇̘̯̠̣̳̞ͨ̍̇̂̈́̆ͭ̍̄̆͢͠ ͕̝̲̣Ḧ̞̠̖̗̝̜̀͊̊̏ͬ̂̒̕͜R̵̨̛̯̣͉̪̬͇̹̣̖̲̝͆͂͊̔͊ͣ̊͂̌̌͟Gͯ́ ̸̢̡̨̗̦͉̖̝̩̯̗͚̰͈͇̝̼̻̤͆̾ͭͧͪ̀̂̾̓̇ͬ͊ͭ͠L̵̮͆ͦͣͪͩ̾ͧͫ̿̊̃̾͟ ̺̪͓̱̫̰̲̼̝̳̲̗̬̞̟̝͚ͅB̷̷̄̆̿͊͛͑ͤͨ̒̾̍̑̔̇̉͊̑͑͏̝̤̘͈̟̣̟̬͜͟ ̼͖͓L̷̨͎̫̖̖̣̮̖͂ͭ̊̈́͋̇͐ͣ̾ͫ̀̔ͫ̇̏̚̚̕͝Ḇ̴̷̢̛̠͚̗ͩͦͭ͐̉ͭ̃̀ͅ ̣͕̻̫̩͓͓͚̜̦̟̱̭̯Ĺ͉̭̭͇̦̱̯̱͇͉̱̫̙͚̬̹͕̃̓̿͒ͣ̀̕ͅR̡ͨ̒̄̓ͫ͘͜ ̜͖͔̫̯̝̘̠͓̫̞̫̹͚͚̤B̶̡͍̝̘̹͙̯̘͇̯̺̙͊ͩ͛̔̾̎̌ͬ̿̿̒̀ͪ̒͆͒͗͢͞ͅ ̳̫̲̖Ṟ̢̛̭̗͚̟̹̞͍̜̰̙̠͔͇̥ͥ̊̔͋̉͞Ļ̡̌̊̄͊̇͐̌ͭ͋͊ͣ̎̀ͯ̽ͣ̚͢͝ ̵̹̠͉̖̩̣̺͕͕̗̯̺̠̤͉͎

C̼̭̙̀̍͐͑̂͐̃̍̑ͬ̈̚͜T̢̯̘̫̯̫̥̝̰͖̞͆̾ͣͧ̓ͭ̄ͫ͗̃̒͛̄ͧ̀̅ͭͨ͘͞͝ ͈̭̺̦̯̲̪ͅH̢̋̀̉̂̍͐ͦ̒ͨ́ͮ̃̚͏̘̻͚͔̦͔͓͔̭͉̱̤̲̭̳̜Ů̍ͯ̀ͭ̈́̋̋̚ ̨͎̯̭̱͈̰̮̥̜̠̖̱̲̳̪͑̂͛̀ͯ̅̕͡͞ͅL̢̇̓͒̄ͪ̇̏̓̔͏͘͏̞̜͈̻̦̫̼̠̱ͅ ̩͙̫̻H̡̦͍̠̝̪̞̬̟͖̠̙̻͙̼ͯ̀͊̂́͊ͤͥ͆̐͗͂̔ͭ̽̂̌̿̕͞Û͐̃ͨͪ̓̈̉̌ ̴̡̨̹̥̖͔͙̞̱̣̠̆̐ͮ͐̾ͨ̇͞ ̶̟͎̣̳͓̬͙͚̔ͯ͐̋́̀ͩͤ̌͐̾ͪͩ̊͑̇͋̕͟F̛̳͙͙͕͎̣̭͖̓ͬ̍͋͂ͫͥ̿̉ͮͤͅ ̥̘͎̘͕̝̺̦ͅH̨̧̛̹̮̯̰̥̭̣̦̜̗̺̰̤̗̤ͤͧͫ̀̑͒̓T̵̢ͣ̈͋͋̒͐ͯ͌͗̉ͨ͜ ̰͉̻͇͇̬̩̪ͅĄ̶̯̘̞̣̬̖̬̪̫̲̟̪͇̬̲̥̈ͬ̆ͯͮ̉ͦ̈͠G̨̝̟̥͎͉̅́ͯ̒̀̀ ̻͔͙͍͉͙̼͎͕Ṋ̸̛̟̩͔̊̇͆ͨ̆̐̆̆̊͢͡͞

Apparently Google Chrome thinks that this is Chinese. Which says a lot, if you think about it.

Zaydos
2016-09-14, 01:00 AM
Heterobiology: A defining thing about Cthulhu and the Outer Gods was that they were part of a different set of physics and laws of reality (Cthulhu was actually closer to ours than the Outer Gods).

Archeobiology: Study of Old Life.

Though technically it'd vary.

I mean Big C, the Migo, and the Color Out of Space are all Astrobiology. Shoggoths are Xenobiology. But then you have the nightgaunts and ghouls which would fall under Oneirobiology (as they're natives of the Dream Lands). Nodens and Nyarlathotep while being big in the dreamlands would fall under Theology... I mean Theobiology as they're literally gods. Yog-Sothoth and Shub-Niggurath are at least a step of god up from Nyarly but would still be Theobiology. Azathoth would be Cosmobiology in that Azathoth is the cosmos.

Dagon would either be Theobiology or just Marine Biology :smalltongue:

oudeis
2016-09-14, 01:05 AM
Teratobiology, from the greek word for monster (thanks google (http://wordinfo.info/unit/2114)).

Edit: Let's just go full Lovecraft on this: Blasphemology

JAL_1138
2016-09-14, 01:09 AM
Apparently Google Chrome thinks that this is Chinese. Which says a lot, if you think about it.

Could also be Japanese, given that my lunch at a sushi joint today consisted of flayed purple tentacles.

KillianHawkeye
2016-09-14, 01:50 AM
I would probably go with something like mythobiology, myself.

Fable Wright
2016-09-14, 02:12 AM
Xenobiology.

Literally speaking, it's the term for studying life not foreign to earth, not just synthetic organisms. Aliens like Azathoth, beings like Cthulhu that do not originate on earth, creatures native to the dreamlands—all fall under this category.

Though paleoastrobiology has a nice ring to it, if xenobiology is too mundane.

Cealocanth
2016-09-14, 08:53 AM
Since these creatures are by definition indescribable by human minds, to refer to their as a field of biology alone would probably be doing the Elder Ones a disservice. I would probably break it up into several disciplines.

Astrobiology - for when you are getting samples somehow and are studying their biological makeup.

Hypermathematics - for when you are studying their ability tovwarp space and time and alter our reality on maddening levels.

Eldrichology, Eldritch Anthropology, or Eldritch Psychology - for when you are studying their effects on humans and human society.

Eldritch Engineering - exactly what it sounds like.

Jay R
2016-09-14, 09:18 AM
Any word you use will be made up for the purpose. There is no actual scientific word for studying something that science says doesn't exist.

Beleriphon
2016-09-14, 09:18 AM
Okay, so I have a bit of an odd question to outsource to y'all. In a superhero game I'm in, we're dealing with some of the Great Old Ones(TM), and I was wondering - okay, so biology is the study of organisms on Earth, astrobiology is the study of the biology of alien organisms, and xenobiology is the study of synthetic organisms, right? So, what would be the scientific term for the study of the biology of Great Old Ones(TM)?

Technically astorbiology would be the study of organisms that come from earth that are transferred to outerspace, or other planents. For example how does our hamster Mr Fluffles deal with microgravity? Xenobiology would be the biology of non-Earth organisms. So xenobiology is a perfectly good term to deal with the biology of Cthulu.

Bohandas
2016-09-14, 09:23 AM

I think xenobiology is aliens too.

Anyway, has anybody said cryptozoology and parapsychology yet

EDIT:
also ectobiology

Berenger
2016-09-14, 10:02 AM
Any word you use will be made up for the purpose. There is no actual scientific word for studying something that science says doesn't exist.

I beg to differ. According to the german Wikipedia, cryptobiology (broken down into cryptozoology, cryptobotany, dracontology and hominology) are recognized words. Note that this doesn't imply that they are recognized fields of scientific study. Another example for "the study of something that science says doesn't exist" would be parapsychology. Craniometry is an example of a once legit and now 'discarded' field of study. As an aside, science generally refrains from stating the existence or non-existence of gods. There is just no credible way to falsify or validate their existence.

Vinyadan
2016-09-14, 10:22 AM
I like paleoastrobiology, because it expresses everything.

I think mystakodaktylology would also be nice, because he has tentacles as moustaches.

Arbane
2016-09-14, 11:32 AM
Incomprehensibiology

Just so you know, I will try to find somewhere to use this word. :smallbiggrin:

Kami2awa
2016-09-14, 03:26 PM

Cryptozoology?

King539
2016-09-14, 05:17 PM
Slap the keyboard a couple times, and then put "ology" on the end of it

Vinyadan
2016-09-14, 05:30 PM
Theresnotoiletpaperleftology
Thefansbeenhitology
Guesswhatwereswimminginology

Bohandas
2016-09-14, 05:30 PM

Cryptozoology, Ufology...

Lord Raziere
2016-09-14, 06:24 PM
Ok, lets assume that I'm a scientist, but not just any scientist. I'm a superhero scientist, who is studying the Old Ones, and somehow is immune to their madness aura or whatever. that I can actually know enough to actually classify and study these things without going mad from the revelation. Lets say I've been doing so for years to actually give this all a scientific term that I can confidently define them all by. And so on and so forth.

Lets say I acknowledge that these things are actually much much more advanced than us. Because they are.

Lets say I know that they consider us ants compared to their power. Because they do. That they have whatever makes them so much more powerful and advanced than us and blows us out of the water.

I wouldn't say anything like "cryptozoology" or "astrobiology"- no. That implies they are animals. That I'm studying them like I would study a hippo or a tiger.

No, my term for them.....is "Class V trans-sapient Civilization". Because they have beings capable of wiping us out with very little effort that control the cosmos. They have enhanced and upgraded themselves using things we don't even understand and use math and things would need enhancements to our brains to even start to figure out. My term for the study of them is "learning what we will someday become, assuming our civilization lives long enough." the scientific term for that being "reconnaissance/spying".

GAAD
2016-09-14, 07:12 PM
POLITE society refers to Cthulhu as "Euclideanally Challenged." "Extradimensional" is THEIR word.

Cluedrew
2016-09-14, 09:22 PM
Using a word from Atomic Robo: Evoversalbiolagy.

HappyElf
2016-09-14, 10:18 PM
I would suggest "Xenotheology" (Study of the alien gods) or "Cryptotheology" (with a bit of a linguistic stretch, study of the unknowable gods) myself, especially if there are more comprehensible and human gods to compare them to.

(Ok, fine, maybe they're not technically gods, but what else are you going to call the immortal, incomprehensible and near-omnipotent beings that control the universe?)

Anti-Eagle
2016-09-14, 10:50 PM
I think I know the word but apparently in English it can only be written in a non-euclidean manner.
Does anyone know how to make English non-euclidean?

You know what? That seems about right.

Slipperychicken
2016-09-14, 11:08 PM
I think I know the word but apparently in English it can only be written in a non-euclidean manner.

Well, I can't imagine that Euclid had much to say about the English language, being a mathematician living in Greece around the 3rd century BC.

KillianHawkeye
2016-09-14, 11:09 PM
We should probably consult an English to Non-Euclidean dictionary. :smallbiggrin:

Zaydos
2016-09-14, 11:16 PM
I feel an increasing need to point that you see non-Euclidean stuff since Euclidean geometry is specifically on a flat plane and the Earth isn't flat (Euclid even knew this, but the Earth is flat enough that for most purposes you can pretend it is). So if you want non-Euclidean English you just write it on a ball.

Slipperychicken
2016-09-14, 11:17 PM
We should probably consult an English to Non-Euclidean dictionary. :smallbiggrin:

In some Lovecraft, there were actually alternate spellings for certain words depending on the time period.

One story in particular, it's name escapes me, involved an antagonist looking up several different ways ancient worshipers had for spelling "Yog Sothoth" (including "Yogge Sothothe" among others) in order to get a better pronunciation for his rituals.

Vinyadan
2016-09-15, 02:07 AM

Trianglewhoseanglesgiveasumofmorethanonehundredeyg htydegreesology.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-09-15, 03:24 AM
Madness. The term for the study of the Great Old Ones is madness.

Storm_Of_Snow
2016-09-15, 07:02 AM
Biology is the study of all living organisms (not just terrestrial ones), while Xenos is greek for outsiders (and other meanings), so the specific sub field would be Xenobiology, and then subdivided again - the study of synthetic organisms could be Poibiology, for example (poiesis being the greek for manufacturing).

What about Parabiology for the specific study of extra-dimensional creatures?

Logosloki
2016-09-15, 07:40 AM
I think the Big C eldritch horror is still within the realms of xenobiology. any of the higher classifications would need some prefix to notate that they are a little bit beyond this small universe.

Bohandas
2016-09-15, 08:34 AM
Ok, lets assume that I'm a scientist, but not just any scientist. I'm a superhero scientist, who is studying the Old Ones, and somehow is immune to their madness aura or whatever. that I can actually know enough to actually classify and study these things without going mad from the revelation. Lets say I've been doing so for years to actually give this all a scientific term that I can confidently define them all by. And so on and so forth.

Lets say I acknowledge that these things are actually much much more advanced than us. Because they are.

Lets say I know that they consider us ants compared to their power. Because they do. That they have whatever makes them so much more powerful and advanced than us and blows us out of the water.

I wouldn't say anything like "cryptozoology" or "astrobiology"- no. That implies they are animals. That I'm studying them like I would study a hippo or a tiger.

No, my term for them.....is "Class V trans-sapient Civilization".

Agreed, it should sound like something that Egon Spengler would say.

Also, the old ones didn't have an insanity aura, just a penchant for doing the kind of things that give people PTSD/shell-shock (as well as the kind of things that when people recounted them everyone else assumed hey were tripping balls)

mikeejimbo
2016-09-15, 09:13 AM
Madness. The term for the study of the Great Old Ones is madness.

Darnit I was beaten to the punch.

Tanuki Tales
2016-09-15, 10:06 AM
Agreed, it should sound like something that Egon Spengler would say.

I just watched Collect Call of Cthulhu last night....what did he refer to it as...

Wait, what did he call Gozer? He did say Gozer was a small fry in comparison, so we could scale up from there.

KillianHawkeye
2016-09-15, 03:33 PM
In some Lovecraft, there were actually alternate spellings for certain words depending on the time period.

One story in particular, it's name escapes me, involved an antagonist looking up several different ways ancient worshipers had for spelling "Yog Sothoth" (including "Yogge Sothothe" among others) in order to get a better pronunciation for his rituals.

That's........ actually pretty legit realism. Language, including names, changes a lot from place to place and even more over long periods of time. For example, modern English is not pronounced anything like old English or medieval English. Another more relevant example could be that foreign words that enter a language will often have their pronunciation changed to suit the new language, and then the spelling in the new language gradually changes to more closely match the commonly used pronunciation.

Eldan
2016-09-15, 03:53 PM
Lovecraft likes that in general. Bits and pieces of the history of the Necronomicon are scattered here and there. It started out as an Arabic grimoire from the time of he Abassid caliphs called the Kitab al-Azif. Then it was translated to Greek, then to Latin, then to English by John Dee. From what is said it lost so much in the translation that even the Latin version has barely any working magic in it at all.

brainface
2016-09-15, 04:04 PM
I always loved A Colder War's description of them as "weakly godlike agencies"

http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/colderwar.htm

OctoberRaven
2016-09-15, 06:12 PM
TimetomakeaSANcheckology

Serious answer: Cryptobiology. The Old Ones would be considered cryptids by scientists, and the Greek root krypto means "hide". Contrast to cryptozoology, the real life term for monster hunters (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptozoology).

I feel an increasing need to point that you see non-Euclidean stuff since Euclidean geometry is specifically on a flat plane and the Earth isn't flat (Euclid even knew this, but the Earth is flat enough that for most purposes you can pretend it is). So if you want non-Euclidean English you just write it on a ball.

Once again proving that writers can't do math. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WritersCannotDoMath)

Cealocanth
2016-09-16, 08:56 AM
So instead of calling it Non-Euclidean Biology it would better be called Transcendental Biology?

nedz
2016-09-16, 05:26 PM
French

So instead of calling it Non-Euclidean Biology it would better be called Transcendental Biology?

Erm, the universe is actually non-euclidean — Minkowskian Asymptotically Flat — so biology already is.

Actually there are indications that certain low level biological processes exploit quantum mechanical effects (no surprise really) and quantum mechanics is Non-Euclidean — though no one is really sure about the geometry of quantum mechanic anyway.

Bohandas
2016-09-16, 11:44 PM
Wait, what did he call Gozer?

I know Gozer's manifestation as Mr.StayPuft was a "Class 7 Outsider Avatar"

Slayn82
2016-09-17, 06:07 AM
Those things pertaining the knowledge of things beyond the usual frames of human limited comprehension, like ancient beings, their biology, their social behaviors, have been collected in a corpus of Arcane Knowledge.

Thus, the specific part of Arcane that deals with biological studies can be called ArcanoBiology.