PDA

View Full Version : Disguise Self: A camouflage spell?

FartHeartMaGart
2016-09-15, 03:37 AM
I had an epiphany. Alter self says you can make yourself look like whatever you like as long as it has the same basic stucture. So could you not camouflage yourself to look like stones or dirt, grass, trees and leaves??
I feel like this is an easy source of stealth advantage for a first level spell slot and has been overlooked because the spell SUGGESTS you disguise yourself to look like someone else.

Thoughts?

Gwendol
2016-09-15, 04:19 AM
Do you have the same structure as stone or grass?

Waffle_Iron
2016-09-15, 04:50 AM
The text of the spell requires the same basic arrangement of limbs, not "the same basic structure". It also specifically allows for the illusion to change your clothing/ apparent clothing. So, yeah, pretty easily allows for camouflage.

"I disguise my self as a person wearing camouflage clothing!"

You're going to run into a bunch of people on this forum who don't like fun, though, so expect arguments.

*pushes up glasses* "actually, unless the wizard casting the spell has an apropriate skill for designing camouflage, he could never actually do that."

Lolol

Asmotherion
2016-09-15, 05:17 AM
By RAW you can. You can go as far ar describe that you are wearing an armor, and it's texture looks like stone, or a custum made entirelly of leaves. You can even add a mask with the same texture, gloves, and pretty much all you want. You can go as far as make it appear as if it has caught fire.

Now, if the DM decides you can or not is entirelly up to him, and if it fits his campain. I have seen DMs managing a world of low magic, who were not confortable with people walking around on fire... I personally like to allow creative thinking, so, if you want a glove made of lightning and an indigo magical aura around you, by all means I allow it... It's not as if it's game changing. However be awear that doing so will have in game consequences (For example, someone going around with a magical aura will have a huge minus on bluff checks to lie about not being a spellcaster...)

Gwendol
2016-09-15, 07:29 AM
The text of the spell requires the same basic arrangement of limbs, not "the same basic structure". It also specifically allows for the illusion to change your clothing/ apparent clothing. So, yeah, pretty easily allows for camouflage.

You're going to run into a bunch of people on this forum who don't like fun, though, so expect arguments.

*pushes up glasses* "actually, unless the wizard casting the spell has an apropriate skill for designing camouflage, he could never actually do that."

Lolol

But that wasn't the OP's question. It was to use disguise self to look like a rock or grass.

If we're talking clothes then by all means go ahead.

Joe the Rat
2016-09-15, 07:54 AM
A rock or field of grass? no, unless you want to curl up or spread out, in which case you could have minor illusioned it.
As rock/grass camouflage or a ghillie suit? Probably
As a statue? :smallamused:

NNescio
2016-09-15, 07:57 AM
Well, strictly speaking, there is nothing stopping you from using Disguise Self to make you look like a guy in a ghillie suit. Whether you gain advantage on your hide attempt though, that's something that is up to your DM to decide.

(I would say yes though for the ghillie suit, as a DM, and maybe most similar applications outdoors like desert or snow camouflage, but certainly not to indoor ninja-style wall camouflage.)

Strill
2016-09-15, 08:02 AM
This can work, but only in a particular kind of terrain. In other words, make yourself look like a bunch of leaves and you'll get a stealth bonus hiding in the bushes, but not when you try to sneak into the bandit cave.

Hopeless
2016-09-15, 09:22 AM
Do you have the Deception skill?

Because at best that spell will give you a bonus to that check, but if you're unskilled you will be dependent on those paying attention being even worse with Perception checks!

Ideally the best way to hide is to not be in sight of anyone likely to not like you being there... so Disguise Self is very handy when there's plenty of people around and no one paying attention to you whilst you cast this.

In a previous edition would it have granted a +10 bonus or am I mixing it up with another actual magical item?

Maxilian
2016-09-15, 09:33 AM
This can work, but only in a particular kind of terrain. In other words, make yourself look like a bunch of leaves and you'll get a stealth bonus hiding in the bushes, but not when you try to sneak into the bandit cave.

Unless they have a bunch of leaves in the caves (Its possible, having in mind that those were used as a cheap way to get a "bed", even more by people like Bandits)

Ruslan
2016-09-15, 11:06 AM
I had an epiphany. Alter self says you can make yourself look like whatever you like as long as it has the same basic stucture. So could you not camouflage yourself to look like stones or dirt, grass, trees and leaves??

You can’t change your body type, so you must adopt a form that has the same basic arrangement of limbs
Only if stones, dirt, grass, trees and leaves have the same body type and basic arrangement of limbs as you. Which I severely doubt.

With something like that, I would allow Advantage of Stealth checks made to hide.

SillyPopeNachos
2016-09-15, 02:37 PM
I'd allow it, for advantage on a stealth check while staying still. Unless you are an illusionist with malleable illusion feature, though, it wouldn't grant advantage on stealth while moving.

CursedRhubarb
2016-09-15, 03:11 PM
I don't have the disguise self spell but I've been using my Glamoured Armor to blend in to surrounding terrain by matching patterns, color, and texture. My DM has granted advantage on stealth checks to hide for it.

I don't see why DS wouldn't work in a similar way if you change your color, pattern, texture to fit in. Changing your shape with it can be tricky, changes won't hold up to any physical contact so texture and shape differences will be noted if touched. You could likely make a convincing cacti if you stand still as no one would likely try and touch that but if you try a tree or rock, your humanoid-ness may still be notable.

Works great to look like different people though so if chased in town you can round a corner and suddenly look like someone else. Or make yourself look like just another corpse on the pile to be overlooked.