PDA

View Full Version : Question About D20 Combat and Combining Various Rules

BlackRazor
2016-09-15, 02:02 PM
Hey All,

I'm tinkering, as many of us do, and I'm trying to wrap my head around combining some things that I really love into one Combat "Mod" for Pathfinder.

Here is what I'm currently tinkering with and would like some feedback on.

1) I'm borrowing/using the following variants/homebrew rules/and flat out stealing from from other systems.

Replacing Initiative with the Elective Action System from the Marvel RPG.
ponderingsongames dot com /2012/03/02/marvelous-initiative/

Using the 3.5 D&D Unearthed Arcana (NOT Arcana Unearthed) variant Injury System which replaces using HP instead with whether or not you were inured when you were hit
alcyius dot com /USRD/srd/variant/unearthedInjury.html#unconscious

Instead of just "you hit the bad guy", I intend to use the Hit Location Chart for humanoids. I haven't figured out quite how to make that work for quadrapeds/abberations/etc.
i142 dot photobucket dot com /albums/r105/SilverSlyk/gameutils/hitlocation-1 dot jpg

Using "exploding dice" for damage (because I believe that ANYTHING can potentially become a weapon and I want to emphasize that. I am however, limiting the exploding dice to a one time thing per hit. It's not over and over again.
https forum dot rpg dot net /archive/index.php/t-543107 dot html

I'm utilizing a heavy amount of tactics in combat while trying to maintain a quick flow and pace. In doing that I'm recommending my players use material found in the recent series of Pathfinder books for Ranged/Magic/Melee/Dirty combat tactics. I'm also utilizing the concept of Team Manuevers from D&D 3.5 DMII (me thinks that may be the PHBII instead, but, meh). I will be using a hex based map, as I believe squares are stupid. Hexes make life easier most of the time.

I want my magic users to feel like that they have a lot of flexibility in how they use their magic. So, I'm looking into mechanics that utilize things like Enlarge Spell, or charging a magical attack each turn, etc. I'm also looking into a Word of Power System. I also want them to be able to choose the origin of their magic giving them a lot of grit and crunch to their play style. Examples, a) Druid drawing power from the earth directly vs a totem vs a companion animal, b)Sorcerer Bloodlines, c)academic study, d) simple magic scrolls, etc etc etc. Too many things here to list the all. If you've seen a 3.5 or PFRPG supplement or something like it with a system of magic it would probably be acceptable to use in my game world once I reviewed it to see where it would affect things negatively.
www dot d20pfsrd dot com /magic/variant-magic-rules/words-of-power

...and a couple of other noteworthy things

My world is a persistent, organic, open-sandbox
I run my game with just enough planning of high-level detail to maintain the illusion of freedom to explore while using enough low-level detail to make players feel like they have agency.
I DO allow characters to wander off apart from the party. I use vignettes frequently to keep things interesting.
I utilize a somewhat unique and abstract technique called "distributed GM'ing" in which members of the group share some of the responsibilities.

A few examples)

Scribe: Keeps notes specifically of All location names, people the party meets or new characters I introduce or even mention in game. They also keep track of other kinds of bits and bobs of info, which allows me to focus on running the game, really getting into character, and improvising on the spot.
Referee: Is responsible for maintaining the social balance and fun of the group by watching for player frustrations, too much table talk, not enough participation, etc,
Mechanic: A positive use of your "rules lawyer". Instead of allowinga rules lawyers way of thinking to be a detriment, this role keeps rules consistent. Anytime I make a call on the fly which differs from previoulsy established rules both official, homebrew, house rules, and (importantly) unofficial (think "expected but not outright spoken) they make a note and we discuss afterwards. They are also responsible for keeping an eye out for things that bog the game down mechanically, because at my table, it's about roleplaying. Combat IS roleplaying. Diplomacy IS roleplaying. The whole damn point of playing an RPG at my table is co-operative group storytelling.

Oh, I'm rambling. Time to quit. Lemme hear it, please. Thanks.

BlackRazor
2016-09-15, 02:03 PM
My apologies for the screwed up web links, but I just joined and the damn thing wouldn't let me post links. You guys are all smart enough to figure out how to patch them to working links.