PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Dùnaidh [3.5 Artifact]

Temotei
2016-09-17, 06:49 AM
Dùnaidh

Dùnaidh, or "Closing," is a longsword created by Thowynn Ervir, dwarven paladin belonging to the Lords of the Gloaming, a knightly organization devoted to closing gates to the lower planes. Legend has it that she used the blade to temporarily close the portal to Carceri in the gate town Curst on the Outlands, as well as many minor portals to the lower planes on her last expedition, which ended on Minethys in the Mausoleum of Pain. There, she was torn apart by the undead forces within. According to the stories, when the paladin fell and her blade hit the ground beneath her, it shattered and spread itself all over the outer planes, waiting for another worthy of wielding it to reforge it once more.

To reforge Dùnaidh, a character must make a DC 30 Craft (weaponsmithing) check and pay for the raw materials consisting of frystalline1 and solarian truesteel1, otherwise following the normal rules for the Craft skill (including time taken and the penalties for failure).

Once reforged, Dùnaidh is truly a sight to behold. A golden dwarven rune inscribed at the base of the blade shines brightly as a torch and roughly translates to "barrier" or "prevention." Etched deeply into the metal is the golden image of a boar. The hilt of Dùnaidh catches the light from the rune and seems to capture it within itself, glowing golden warmth. A single, perfect emerald is set into the pommel, gently releasing a golden-green aura of light. Two open-mouthed boars' heads decorate each side of the crossguard. The blade itself seems to be simultaneously gold and silver while only being one or the other at one time, oddly reflecting golden light while appearing silver and vice-versa. When the wielder is within 30 feet of an evil outsider, every swing leaves behind pale golden streaks for a few seconds. The fuller dives deep and contains sharp ridges resembling a boar's tusks and teeth every few inches. At the tip of the blade is another dwarven rune, this one roughly translating to "finality."

Dùnaidh is a +5 banishing2 evil outsiders bane longsword of a unique design--it is made of both frystalline and solarian truesteel, masterfully woven together to utilize both materials to their full strengths and more. For the purposes of hp and hardness, Dùnaidh is treated as being made of solarian truesteel. If Dùnaidh strikes and overcomes a creature's damage reduction due to its frystalline components, it ignores all damage reduction the creature might otherwise have and entirely removes its damage reduction until the beginning of the wielder's next turn. If Dùnaidh confirms a critical hit against an evil outsider, the wielder may activate Dùnaidh's banishing property regardless of the target's Hit Dice without using up a daily charge, and the saving throw DC increases by 4. Finally, if both of these additional properties trigger, the wielder may attempt to banish any other evil outsiders (regardless of Hit Dice) within 30 feet as an immediate action with the same DC to resist the banishing.

Dùnaidh's banishing property can also be used to close gates and portals to the lower planes. When doing so, the wielder uses a daily charge from the banishing property and slashes at the passageway, closing it permanently if it has a duration, or for 100 years if it is normally permanent.

Finally, Dùnaidh can permanently destroy an evil outsider's soul, utterly shredding its essence in a flash of golden light. Using this ability uses up a daily charge of Dùnaidh's banishing property for one year. During this time, Dùnaidh will not recover this daily charge. Thowynn Ervir considered this feature a last resort and reportedly never used it.

Strong abjuration and transmutation; CL 20th; Weight 4 lb.

1. Book of Exalted Deeds.
2. Magic Item Compendium.

Allnightmask
2016-09-17, 09:21 PM
Now that's awesome sounding artifact. I wasn't expecting a boar motif but it sounds right fearsome. The only thing throwing me off is the last resort measure's cooldown but it would lend itself to some sort of climatic end fight.
Great work like always. What muse got you started on this?

Temotei
2016-09-18, 09:59 PM
What muse got you started on this?

Actually, I just made it for this post. In a campaign I'm DMing, the party just came across the hilt (minus the crossguard). I made this because eventually I figured they would want to investigate this further and maybe even use it. It'll be a long time until then, but eh. I figured I'd just make it now.

So, nothing in particular. Just a brainchild. I'm glad you like it. :smallsmile:

remetagross
2016-09-20, 07:03 AM
The mechanics seem good for an artifact, as Dùnaidh is as potent an in-battle magical weapon as the most powerful items mortals can create, and at the same time possesses an ability that is replicated by nothing else a 20th-level PC could produce.

However, that would be great if you extended its story a little, I find it a bit too short to really catch on the eye as it is.

Temotei
2016-09-20, 07:25 PM
The mechanics seem good for an artifact, as Dùnaidh is as potent an in-battle magical weapon as the most powerful items mortals can create, and at the same time possesses an ability that is replicated by nothing else a 20th-level PC could produce.

However, that would be great if you extended its story a little, I find it a bit too short to really catch on the eye as it is.

I'm glad you want more. That's a good sign, I think. :smallsmile:

I'll see what I can do to extend the story, though I don't think it'll happen for a few days at least.

BelGareth
2016-09-22, 03:03 PM
This is awesome, theres one thing I always think thats missing a good amount of anything (brew, core, whatever) is artifacts.

And you did a great job with this.

*bookmarked*