PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Catfolk- A race

Black Socks
2016-09-18, 02:23 PM
My take on catfolk, a race of.... catlike humanoids? Anthromorphic cats?

Catfolk are humanoids, yet their feline blood is evident. They have yellow or black eyes, fur, and a long tail that, although not prehensile, tends to flick around when they get nervous. They have claws on their hands and when they smile, one can see pointed teeth. Their short, pointed ears come out of the top of their heads, and their hair tends to be the same colour as their fur.
Despite all this, they are not descended from actual cats, but rather humans who, through the magic of Carresshea the Feline Mother (goddess of felines), were infused with the essence of cats.
Catfolk are restless by nature, longing to climb, to trailblaze, to explore. As such, many live as nomads. When they do form a community, it is usually in the forest or plains. They welcome travelers, anxious to hear tales of adventures and exotic sites, but are always prepared for hostile reactions. Hostile visitors might find themselves pounced upon, tied up, and awakening in the middle of a deserted area.
Catfolk have little use for treasures, but they do love shiny things. Since they travel so much, anything you can't carry on your person or in a bag is not very useful to them. So, their favourite trinkets are small gemstones, particularly if it is small enough to carry in a pocket or locket.
On the whole, catfolk favour simple clothing that allows for freedom of movement. Apart from the aforementioned shinies, they do not care for jewelry. Their weapons are simple, most combat being done with the claws.
There are two subraces of catfolk: Wild catfolk, and city catfolk.
Wild catfolk could be said to be the equivalent of the 'big cats'. They are more nomadic and more likely to live in the wilderness. They have sharpened senses and are very perceptive.
City catfolk, on the other hand, could be said to be the equivalent of housecats. This does not mean they are less formidable or 'soft', as some wild catfolk believe. Rather, it has effect on their personality and traits. City catfolk are more likely to settle down, and they interact more with other races. They have developed more social skills than their wild brethren; this is not unrelated to the fact that cats are the cutest creatures in the multiverse.

Ability Score Increase: +2 Dexterity

Darkvision: Cats can see in the dark very well, and so can you. You have darkvision out to a range of 60 ft.

Skill Proficiency: You have proficiency in Acrobatics.

Claws: Your unarmed strike can deal 1d4 slashing damage. It can have the finesse and light properties.

Speed: 35 ft.

Size: Medium

Alignment: Catfolk have a wild, independent nature. As such, they tend towards chaotic alignments.

Languages: You can read, write and speak Common and Catfolk. Catfolk sounds a lot like cat noises, with lots of soft r's (purrrr), soft s's (hissss), mews, and growls.

Age: Catfolk grow very quickly. They reach maturity at age 10, and can live to be 60.

Ability score increase: +1 Wisdom

Cats always land on their feet: You have resistance to falling damage, and you do not land prone after a fall. You must not be restrained or incapacitated to gain this benefit.

Ability score increase: +1 Charisma

Nimbleness: You can move through the space of any creature that is of a size larger than yours.

Ability score increase: +2 Dexterity, +1 any other two ability scores of your choice.

Darkvision: Thanks to your catfolk blood, you have darkvison out to a range of 60 ft.

Speed: 30 ft.

Claws: Your unarmed strike deals slashing damage instead of bludgeoning, and has the finesse and light properties.

Skill Proficiency: You have proficiency in Acrobatics.

Alignment: Like the catfolk, you have an independent and wild nature, and as such you tend towards chaos.

Languages: You can read, write, and speak Common, Catfolk, and one other language of your choice.

Age: You live longer than catfolk, but not as long as humans. You reach maturity at 15, and can live to be 80.

Size: Medium

Comments, feedback, and suggestions are welcome.
Also, if anyone can find a good image of a catfolk, it would be much appreciated.

JeenLeen
2016-09-19, 01:41 PM
My only suggestion is to say that the Claws can do 1d4 slashing damage. I think it's good to let the player have the option of still attacking with a fist, but then it reverts to the base rules.

Also, this way a catfolk monk doesn't have to figure out if the racial trait trumps the class feature.

eleazzaar
2016-09-19, 03:01 PM
I'd consider "Lucky" a much better feature than "Cats always land on their feet"

"Natural Agility" is also a very powerful ability.

I'd consider the "City Catfolk" to be overpowered. I'd recomend one of two things:

1) replacing "lucky" with a lesser ability, or

2) Dropping "Natural Agility", and giving the "Wild Catfolk" some other feature to make them equal with the City cats.

Even then it wouldn't be a weak race.

Rerem115
2016-09-19, 03:12 PM
ASIs are fine

Darkvision is fine

Skill proficiencies are odd; you should probably pick one and stick with it; giving versatility in choice bumps up the power of this significantly.

Walking speed makes sense, but makes this race fairly strong.

Claws makes sense; it's mostly flavor anyway.

Natural Agility is insanely powerful. No race grants proficiency in saving throws; that's the sole domain of classes. In addition, nothing grants Expertise in saving throws, especially not a race, considering that you can use that bonus in any class.

Wild catfolk are fine; you're pretty much a refluffed (heh!) Wood Elf.

City catfolk are much stronger; you've got the best part of a halfling mixed with the better parts of a Wood Elf.

Overall, I'd call this race overtuned. I'd give one set proficiency, get rid of Natural Agility, and exchange Lucky for something else.

Black Socks
2016-09-19, 06:02 PM
Suggestions noted and adjustments made.

eleazzaar
2016-09-19, 06:33 PM
I see no problems with Catfolk. Half-Catfolk however is pretty much an inferior version, you get all the same stuff-- just a bit less of it.

though it is still probably in the range of PHB races.

But I would remove the acrobatics or cat fall, and give them a second ASI of their choice.

Pivotal
2016-09-20, 06:27 PM
Wow, I really like this. Very nice features and in no way OP. The only thing I might change is the nimbleness feature. On a medium character it is simply very rare to be of any use.

Tosscobobble
2019-02-28, 11:00 AM
Would Catfolk be able to speak with feline creatures?
How about if a druid wildshapes into a cattype? Would they be able to communicate?
(i love the stuff my group comes up with!)

JNAProductions
2019-02-28, 12:01 PM
Once a thread has been dead for 45 days, it's against the forum rules to post in it without getting a Mod's permission to resurrect the thread.

If you do want to talk about an older thread, the usual procedure is to make a new one, and link the old thread so it can be referenced.