PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Satyr Paragon (3 level, racial paragon class)

Zaydos
2016-09-22, 01:07 AM
Satyr Paragon (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqZgZWnH_p4)

Fay beings tied to the Olympian Glades of Arborea, satyr are creatures of hedonism and passion, beings in whom power was born. Still a satyr paragon is a being who pushes beyond their inborn power, who take that wellspring of strength and pull forth its waters not by adding those of another source but by mastering those within.

Adventures: Satyr paragons tend toward happy go lucky adventurers. Life is a thing of pleasure, and if there is no pleasure in an act why perform it? As such satyr paragon adventurers are often adrenaline junkies, eager to test their might against the world.

Characteristics: Satyr paragons are skilled woodsmen, and have an able and capable tongue and wit. Most importantly, however, is the mystical powers of their pipes able to emulate even the songs of the bards.

Alignment: Satyr paragons are born of wild things, and tend to be as wild as the woods themselves. Most Satyr Paragons are Chaotic. Their hedonism means most are Chaotic Neutral, but they are more likely to lean towards Good than Evil, taking a pleasure in performing deeds of kindness and gentleness.

Religion: Satyr paragons often revere gods of music and pleasure, if not those of the woods themselves. That said devotion is not a requirement of a satyr paragon and they range from sworn and true in their loyalty to a divinity to as irreverent as any Athar.

Background: Satyr paragons spring from any background a satyr might. They are simply those satyr that have in some way risen above the others, have mastered the songs of the pipes, and the revels of their kind. Most Satyr Paragon adventurers have grown bored of the life of a satyr and seek something new and exciting.

Races: Satyr paragons enjoy those races which know how to party, as well as those which share their connection to the woods. Halflings with their feasts, gnomes with their illusion fueled festivals, and elves with their skill at making the best wines of the humanoid races are all good friends of the satyr paragon. Dwarves, despite sharing a respectable love of alcohol, tend to be too staid and stoic for a satyr paragon's taste. Goblinoids tend to be too masochistic and brutal on the other hand.

Game Rule Information:
Satyr Paragons have the following game statistics.
Ability Scores: Charisma fuels those Satyr Paragon abilities which rely upon any ability score. That said they still need ability scores to fuel their chosen role as well.
Alignment: Any.
Hit Dice: d8.
Starting Wealth: As barbarian.
Starting Age: As barbarian.

Class Skills:
The satyr paragon's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Speak Language (n/a), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points at First Level: (6 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier

SATYR PARAGON

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special

1st

+0

+0

+2

+2
Bardic Music, Charming Personality, Ingested Poison Immunity, Revelry

2nd

+1

+0

+3

+3
Frightful Presence, Melodious Pipes, Woodland Stride

3rd

+2

+1

+3

+3
Creature of the Woods, Improved Bardic Music, Masterful Pipes

The following are all class features of the Satyr Paragon:

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A satyr paragon is proficient in simple weapons, light melee martial weapons and any ranged martial weapon. In addition they are proficient in light and medium armor.

Bardic Music: A Satyr Paragon may perform much as a bard would. They gain Bardic Music as a bard of their class level, if they have Bard levels their Satyr Paragon levels stack with their Bard levels for uses per day, save DCs, Bardic Music abilities available, and the power of their bardic performances.

Charming Personality (Ex): A Satyr Paragon has the wit and charm for which the goat-folk are (in)famous for, able to gain a creature's trust and friendship with only a little interaction. A Satyr Paragon adds their Charisma modifier as a competence bonus to all Bluff, Diplomacy, and Gather Information checks made to interact with creatures they have talked to for at least one minute at the completion of the check or with whom they have shared alcohol; this is in addition to their normal Charisma modifier to such checks. This bonus is increased by +4 when dealing with other creatures with the Fey type. Should I make this untyped?

Ingested Poison Immunity (Ex): A Satyr Paragon develops their hedonistic ways. They are immune to ingested poisons, and the harmful effects of alcohol, unless they choose to allow it to affect them.

Revelry (Su): A Satyr Paragon is the life of the party, their mere presence and participation able to drive a festivity to new heights. Once per day by engaging in a meal, with drinks, and live entertainment which takes at least 1 hour a Satyr Paragon may grant themselves and up to 15 creatures per Satyr Paragon class level with whom the meal was shared (they must partake of the meal, and drinks, and watch the entertainment, spending the full hour) various benefits based upon their Satyr Paragon level. The participants heal (hp and ability damage) as if they had 8 hours of rest, are cured of exhaustion and fatigue, and may immediately make a saving throw against any diseases they possess (a Heal check cannot be used for this save) if they succeed this save it counts as a successful save for curing the disease, but if they fail it does not cause damage or reset their cumulative saves. If the Satyr Paragon is 2nd level they heal as if they had 24 hours of complete bed rest instead of 8 hours of rest, and gain a morale bonus equal to your Charisma modifier to saves against Disease and Poison for 6 hours this bonus applies to the immediate saving throw received as well. If the Satyr Paragon is 3rd level they heal as if they had 24 hours of complete bed rest with long-term care, and the morale bonus to saves applies to all saves against mind-affecting effects as well.

Frightful Presence (Ex): A Satyr Paragon with clamor and violence can strike fear into the heart of creatures despite their relatively small size. Beginning at 2nd level a Satyr Paragon gains frightful presence. When the satyr paragon attacks, charges, or releases a horrible, animalistic shout each enemy within 30 ft with less hit dice than the satyr paragon must make a Will save (DC 12 + satyr paragon level + 1/2 other class levels + Charisma modifier) or be Shaken for 5d6 rounds. A creature with less than 1/3rd the Satyr Paragon's hit dice are frightened instead. A creature which successfully saves against this ability is immune to the Satyr Paragon's frightful presence for 24 hours.

Melodious Pipes (Su): A Satyr Paragon's skill with their pipes cannot be matched by even most satyrs and they learn how to influence other creatures with their music than would normally be affected. At 2nd level a Satyr Paragon may select one creature type from list A or two creature types from list B (both below). If they select a creature type from list A they may affect creatures of that type with their fear and sleep effects of their pipes regardless of type based immunity to mind-affecting effects or the mindless quality (type based immunity to sleep, charm, or fear still applies, so an undead or construct still can't be put to sleep), and may affect creatures of that type with their Charm Person pipes ability as if they were humanoid as long as the target is not mindless. If they select creature types from list B they may affect them with their Charm Person pipes as if they were humanoids.

List A:
Construct
Ooze
Plant
Undead
Vermin

List B:
All other creature types (each chosen individually).

Woodland Stride (Ex): A Satyr Paragon is a fay, a creature of the woods, and moves through them with all the ease of a druid. At 2nd level a Satyr Paragon gains Woodland Stride as the druid ability of the same name.

Creature of the Woods (Ex): Within their native terrain a Satyr Paragon is practically a phantom or a ghost. Beginning at 3rd level while in a wooded area a Satyr Paragon may hide while being observed (although they still need cover or concealment), gain a +2 bonus to Hide and Move Silently checks, and suffer no penalty to Move Silently checks due to underbrush.

Improved Bardic Music: A satyr is a musician and a Satyr Paragon develops that natural talent to the utmost. Beginning at 3rd level a Satyr Paragon adds their racial hit dice (normally 5) to their effective level for Bardic Music (including bardic music abilities obtained).

Masterful Pipes: A Satyr Paragon can coax melodies from their pipes that other satyrs only dream of. Beginning at 3rd level a Satyr Paragon may 1/day + 1/day per 3 character levels derived from classes (as opposed to racial hit dice) enhance their pipes ability. If used when using their pipes for Charm Person they may choose a single creature within range to be affected regardless of creature type (type derived immunity to mind-affecting effects still apply). If used when using their pipes for fear they may affect creatures immune to mind-affecting effects (but not to fear effects in specific). If used when using their pipes for sleep they may affect creatures regardless of their hit dice. In addition when they use this ability to enhance their pipes ability the caster level of the effect is increased by their character levels derived from classes, and the save DC is 10 + your level in Satyr Paragon + 1/2 your character level derived from other sources + your Charisma modifier (or to put it another way it's 11.5 + 1/2 your character level + your Charisma modifier).

Think they shape up for being Level 8-10 and you know having +2 BAB from level 1-7? Think I could give them a single warlock invocation of choice at some point as a nod to Feylocks? Should they be full BAB to help make up for it? Is it worth playing a Satyr/Satyr Paragon 3?

PapaQuackers
2016-09-22, 09:50 AM
I like this quite a bit, I definitely think the Revelry ability is pretty inspired.

I would have liked an ability called Panic though :P.

Zaydos
2016-09-23, 01:41 AM
Frightful Presence does allow you to cause panic in commoners by shouting at least. In all seriousness I tried to work a Panic ability in, it's just the mythical one was already covered by Frightful Presence, and where it wasn't covered by Frightful Presence a balanced version would look just like the pipes' fear ability except without playing the pipes. So I went with the option that carried over functionality over a cutesy naming reference, despite my love of cutesy naming references.

Revelry on the other hand is what took me 3 days to post the thing, because I couldn't think of an ability and it felt lacking. Then there was a eureka moment in which I thought up Revelry and went 'I could give them Bardic Music for their racial hit dice and it'd probably be balanced'. At the very least it gave them an interestingly unique ability, and a role other than 'mind-affecting AoE 1/encounter' (in that Bardic Music as a bard 2 levels lower is still usable for group buffing even if the lack of Inspirational Boost hurts).

Come to think of it, I ought to note that Masterful Pipes gives a save DC boost (as a workaround the inconsistency on whether class levels increase racial ability DCs or only racial hit dice*). Also if I was to build a Satyr Paragon I'd go Bard 1/Virtuoso 9 afterwards (2/10 with LA buyoff)... or Ur-Priest. I don't know what I'd do with Ur-Priest but it just sounds fun.

*I seriously don't know if there's a RAW answer to this. Thri-Kreen poison explicitly does not as of XPH, but I'd swear I've seen examples where they did, and class levels still increase your Hit Dice and very few things actually specify racial hit dice in the save formula. I tend to play where it does, but as it's a huge power balance factor for Satyr and the paragon is pretty much unplayable if the DC of Pipes is stuck at 12 + Charisma permanently I'm going to make a work around so at least it's usable 2-5/6 times per day even if the DM decides to go 'nope just racial hit dice'.