PDA

View Full Version : Silly/questionable magic items

TiaC
2016-09-23, 12:35 AM
While I had 3.5 in mind when I wrote these, they could be used in any system. They are not all fleshed out with cost, creation requirement and so on, but players won't be too likely to buy of make them so that's fine.

These are meant to be quirky pieces of treasure that will reward player creativity, but aren't too powerful.

Staff of Balance
This lesser version of a Immovable Rod does not hover in the air. Instead, it may be placed on any solid surface and given the order to balance, whereupon it will balance vertically on one end.

Bad Penny
This copper piece is "cursed". Once it has been picked up, the bearer cannot rid themselves of it. Whenever they take out any number of copper pieces, one of them will be the Bad Penny. (Varient: the Bad Penny is a poor forgery.)

Burning Earring
While wearing this earring, whenever someone within one mile of you speaks about you, you can hear their voice as if they stood next to you.

Featherbow
Whenever an arrow is fired from this bow, it turns into a bird. If fired more than 30', the bird turns aside to miss the target. Otherwise, the bird's impact deals half damage to both the target and the bird. Birds created by this item are permanent.

Seven-League Boots
Every step in these boots moves you exactly 21 miles in a straight line along the ground.
(If you step one way and try to step back the opposite way, being off by 1 degree puts you ~2000ft away from your start)

Amulet of Cat Mastery
While wearing this amulet, all cats (Animals only) will obey your commands. Due to their short attention span, they will forget any command after 1d6 rounds.

Ring of Presentation
While wearing this ring, provided that you have been wearing it for at least 24 hours, an Unseen Servant constantly follows you around, tidies your appearance and silently prods you to have perfect manners.

Scabbard of Stuff
Whenever you reach towards this scabbard, you may withdraw any weapon you are not proficient in. These weapons last until you cease holding them or become proficient. The scabbard may be enchanted as a weapon and bestows its enchantments on any weapon drawn from it.

Blindfold of Peek-a-boo
This item is a blindfold that must completely cover your eye to work. While worn, creatures who you cannot see cannot see you.

Psychoactive Skin of Freezing
When activated, this skin is frozen in time for 1d6 rounds, protecting you from all that would harm you. You may not move while the skin is frozen, although you retain the use of your senses. The skin blocks line of effect in this form as well as line of sight from the outside. If attacked, treat it as a wall of force.

Boots of Bouncing
You get +10 on jump checks. In addition, when an effect other than your own movement moves you, you may move an equal distance directly away from any solid surface adjacent to the space you were moved to.

Wands of Floating Disk/Mount/Animate Rope/... (deregulated)
When you activate this wand, 1d6x5 charges are expended and the spell is cast that many times.

Freeze-dried Gelatinous Cube
This is a crystalline cube, 1 foot on a side. When dropped in at least 7,500 gallons of water, it turns into a Gelatinous Cube. (Versions exist for advanced or even templated Cubes as well.)

Claymore Mine
When this metal disk is thrown on the ground, it creates an extradimensional pit 10' across and 30' deep. At the bottom of the pit are dozens of greatswords of various size. Treat these like spikes if fallen on. (I'm not sorry)

Tongue Stud of Prehensility
While your tongue is pierced with this stud, you may cause it to grow to be up to 4' long. In this form, you cannot speak, but it may grasp items, albeit with a -4 penalty on all d20 rolls.

Sheet of Ghostliness
While you wear this sheet over you, you and all observers must make a will save (DC ~) or believe you are incorporeal.

Seed of Furnishing
Upon command, this seed takes root and grows into a piece of furniture in one minute. If a second command is given, the furniture produces a flower that contains the seed before withering and collapsing.

Cloudwalk boots
You may treat all fogs, mists, clouds and steam as solid and able to support your weight if you choose to do so.

JeenLeen
2016-09-23, 09:28 AM
I can see some of these as fairly useful. Most are funny or harmless, though, and seem like nice treats in 5e.

A few comments on powerful/more-useful-than-seem ones:
Burning Earring -- awesome for political intrigue to hear of rumors about you, or for criminals who are avoiding the law.
Blindfold of Peek-a-boo - depending on the wording, would creatures who sense you via blindsight or tremorsense no longer sense you? I guess it wouldn't work that way, but an idea.
Boots of Bouncing - pretty much negates any push attacks against you, so decent.
Sheet of Ghostliness - would make a lot of folk not try to hit you with stuff. Useful.
Cloudwalk boots - pretty awesome for sneaking around. An arcane trickster with Fog Cloud would love this.

Funny note: with Featherbow, the antecedent of "it" is unclear, so you could read the first part of saying when a arrow is fired from the bow, the bow becomes a bird. The intent is pretty clear, but that struck me as funny.
Psychoactive Skin of Freezing reminds me of Clockblocker (could freeze people/things in time, making them immune to anything but also immobile) from the Worm webserial.