PDA

View Full Version : 1-18-08

prongs43
2007-07-09, 03:43 PM
This is for discussion about the two websites, not the trailer. In case you don't know, there are two official websites released: 1-18-08 (http://www.1-18-08.com), and Ethan Haas Was Right (http://www.ethanhaaswasright.com). Apparently, there are puzzles on these 2 sites for viewers to solve. So far the only thing I've noticed is on the Ethan Haas site, it says Look To The Stars, or something similar, and so I looked at the white dots that appear. There's nine. Then i went to the other site, and noticed this creepy girl in the background of one of the pictures has a nine on her shirt. Anyone else have any ideas?

Mr Croup
2007-07-09, 03:56 PM
If you haven't yet, you might want to take a look at this site. (http://ethanhaaswaswrong.blogspot.com/)

It's one of the first pages that Google turns up when you search "Ethan Haas." Looks to be a pretty standard ARG (alternate reality game), mixed in with some web based puzzle games. I'm not much for ARG's personally, as I don't really have the desire to put the effort required to piece it all together.

Siric
2007-07-09, 04:24 PM
So far the only thing I've noticed is on the Ethan Haas site, it says Look To The Stars, or something similar, and so I looked at the white dots that appear.

I see nothing of the Sort.

All it says "Ethan Haas was right" and there's a puzzle. Solved the Puzzle, saw a video about the prophet Ethan Haas or something, and was given another Puzzle.

Hefty Lefty
2007-07-09, 04:38 PM
I didn't get much from the site in the second post, but on the site "ethanhaaswasright", nine stars encircled a circle, but then appeared a weird polygonal figure with weird puzzle pieces on it. When you click one, a bunch of other pop up in weird orders. The pieces have symbols on them different from those in the article mrcgroup showed us. The music is a thunderstorm (strangly, a thunderstorm began at my house when the page loaded up, I'm not kidding you). A city is shown in the background (I'm assuming NYC, though I can't recognize any landmarks). Lastly, sorry to possibly ruin prongs43's theory, but there's only 2 stars here.

Sewer_Bandito
2007-07-09, 05:08 PM
If you click the star on the far left, an e-mail thing pops up,

and it has an e-mail adress: [email protected] <[email protected]>

and the subject is "I'm one of you...help me!"

:smallconfused:

Arang
2007-07-09, 06:34 PM
If you click on the right star in the second link, a list of the symbols on the "ball" pops up, with an "A" under the far left one and a "Z" under the far right. I take that to mean that there is one symbol for each letter of the alphabet, and that the blocks that pop out spell something.

I do not have the time or smarts to figure out what, though. Any help?

Dr._Weird
2007-07-09, 07:18 PM
Alright, Gitp! We should solve this together.

So, doing a bit of detective work, I looked at the source code for the page (I'm a notpr0n veteran, it was the first thing that came to mind), and got the normal stuff, but also these few interesting tidbits:

<!-- /helpme/ -->

<p style='font-size:14px;'>...war came, no longer from the elemental nor from the star's rain of fire. The world was again remade, and the glow was as the coming of the sun upon the Earth. The children of the gods were again too few, scattered and divided and among them walked the ancients and those whose thoughts were not as to the towers and the marvels, but to the End and the destruction of the Earth and to the fires from which nothing could escape.</p>

<noscript>...war came, no longer from the elemental nor from the star's rain of fire. The world was again remade, and the glow was as the coming of the sun upon the Earth. The children of the gods were again too few, scattered and divided and among them walked the ancients and those whose thoughts were not as to the towers and the marvels, but to the End and the destruction of the Earth and to the fires from which nothing could escape.</noscript>

Yes, the last two are things we've seen before, but I thought it interesting that it reappeared hidden in this page... twice. The help me line is interesting though.

I also took it upon myself to do a (Rather sloppy) translation of the alien alphabet, assuming it goes in order at the top. If someone else would be willing to find out which letters pop out of the ball, I think we could get somewhere.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p225/The_Doctor_06/alphabet.jpg

Hefty Lefty
2007-07-09, 08:47 PM
People already beat us to it, guys.

This next part should be in that fun "Spoiler" box, but I don't know how to make that, so just don't read it if you don't want it ruined. Also, if someone could tell me how to make that box, that'd be awesome.:smallbiggrin:

Type "Ethan Haas was right" into Wikipedia and you'll find that people have already solved that whole site and disected it to bits on youtube. Tune back in August 1 for the next clue, it says.

prongs43
2007-07-09, 08:51 PM
Okay, my computer was being dumb :(, so that polygon thing never came up. So that's why I only saw the 9 stars that appear when it's loading up. I solved the puzzle too, and saw the video.

Belteshazzar
2007-07-09, 10:11 PM
I unfortunately did not see the previews but upon following some leads it would appear that the Mezin are active on Wikipedia. Search for Ethan Haas and you will see what I mean.

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-07-09, 10:12 PM
If this is another godawful Godzilla movie I'm gonna scream.

Dr._Weird
2007-07-09, 11:32 PM
People already beat us to it, guys.

This next part should be in that fun "Spoiler" box, but I don't know how to make that, so just don't read it if you don't want it ruined. Also, if someone could tell me how to make that box, that'd be awesome.:smallbiggrin:

The spoiler box is made like this:

Spoilers!

Leto
2007-07-10, 07:40 AM
http://slusho.jp/

You can't drink just six!

FishEyedBob
2007-07-10, 08:11 AM
According to AICN (from an e-mail from JJ Abrams) the Ethan Haas sites are not connected to the 1-18-08 trailer or website.

Someone on the talk backs raised an interesting (though probably meaningless coincident) point in the fact that 18th January is also the birthday of Robert Anton Wilson, author of the splendid Illumantus! Trilogy...the book that launched a million conspiracy theories and has a strong Lovecraft presence in it.

Jibar
2007-07-10, 12:58 PM
Well... what is this for?
Almost all ARG are for something, some bizarre purpose, and we need to work it out.
I won't actually do all the puzzles, ARGs freak me out, but I'll keep up with it.

So far it seems to be a war between religious groups waged on the internet...
It's rather ineteresting.

Leto
2007-07-10, 04:05 PM
http://slusho.jp/

You can't drink just six!

Ahem.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y132/WildWestPB/SlushoShirt.jpg

Sereneprophet
2007-07-10, 04:45 PM
Ok all this stuff is weird...but oh so very interesting. I saw the trailer for 1-18-08 when I saw transformers, and we were all like wtf?

Must look more into this.

Also weird Slusho site thing.

prongs43
2007-07-10, 04:55 PM
I heard that Slusho was also a Codename the movie was working under, like Cloverfield. Apparently it's a drink from Alias, I think.

Hefty Lefty
2007-07-12, 08:27 AM
All this talk of wars and rebellions and such seems way too complex to just be another monster movie. If it's a Godzilla remake, I'll scream, too.