View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class A Blood Magus rework [PEACH]

Exocist
2016-09-28, 12:23 AM
https://wrathofzombie.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/blood-mage-1.jpg

Requirements:

Skills: Concentration 8 ranks, Spellcraft 8 Ranks
Base Will Save: +4
Special: Arcane Caster Level 5th

Features: 1/2 BAB, Strong Fort, Poor Ref, Strong Will, 8/10 Casting, d8 Hit Dice

New "Words"

- Health Burn - Functions as ability burn (can only be healed naturally) except for hit points instead.

Author's note: I kinda liked the idea of using Blood to power spells (like the Tainted Sorcerer used blood for components), the problem is that it's way too easy to get Fast Healing or something similar to completely negate the downside. Hence, using a feature similar to the psionics' Ability Burn should make the downside more palpable.

Abilities:

Spellcasting (Ex): Every level except 4 and 7.

Living Blood (Ex): The Blood Magus gains the ability to animate a limited amount of blood as a special familiar for himself. To create this familiar, the Blood Magus must spend 10 minutes performing a ritual, after which he can take any amount of Health burn, to a limit of 10x his HD, as he draws blood to create the familiar. After which, he gains a familiar. Treat this familiar as a Black Pudding, except where noted here:

- The familiar's hit points are equal to the amount of hit points spent when creating the familiar, and it's Hit Dice are equal to it's hit points divided by 10 (Rounded down).
- It's size is based on it's Hit Dice
- 1 to 5 - Small
- 6 to 10 - Medium
- 11 to 15 - Large
- 16 to 19 - Huge
- 20 to 29 - Gargantuan
- 30+ - Colossal
- It loses the Split ability, but gains the Amorphous ability.
- The Ooze is under the control of the Blood Magus.
- At 4th Level, the Ooze becomes more solid, and the Blood Magus can choose for the ooze to deal Crushing damage instead of Acid damage any time the ooze would deal Acid damage.
- At 7th Level, the Ooze gains the Split ability.

Author's Note: I like the idea of having what is essentially an animated pool of blood as your familiar. I'm not entirely sure how powerful an Ooze familiar would be, but you can't deny the rule of cool.

Blood Magic (Su): Grants 3 Abilities

Blood Aura - At 1st level, the Blood Magus becomes attuned to the flow of vital fluids in creatures. He gains an aura that extends out to 5ft times his Blood Magus levels. This aura allows the Blood Magus to determine whether creatures in the range as Alive, Dead, Undead or neither alive nor dead (Such as constructs). The Blood Magus also knows the exact hit points of every creature within range of the Blood Aura.

Author's note: In case HP is a meta concept, this helps you not kill yourself or your allies accidentally. Some minor utility bonuses with the Power Word: X line of spells.

Blood Transfer - At 4th Level, the Blood Magus gains the ability to, as an immediate action, transfer hit points between 2 willing targets (Self included) in the range of his Blood Aura. The Blood Magus can deal any amount of health burn to the first willing target to give an equal amount of hit points to the second willing target. Hitpoints gained by use of this ability are considered to be natural healing.

Any excess hitpoints gained by use of this ability are stored within a "Blood Pool", that can hold up to 50x the Blood Magus' hit dice in excess hitpoints. These hitpoints cannot be used for any purpose other than powering the Blood Magus' class features.

Author's Note: If you're the BBEG, you can drain out your insane fanatical followers to power your Blood Components, as well as some last-second healing. If you're a PC, you can use it to save yourself or allies at the last second, but it probably isn't going to bide too well with your friends if you keep draining out their HP to use your spells.

Forced Blood Transfer - At 7th level, the Blood Magus gains the ability to use his blood transfer even on Non-Willing targets. The targets must succeed on a Fortitude Save (10 + Blood Magus Levels + Constitution Modifier) or they become treated as willing for purposes of his Blood Transfer ability. This Ability cannot affect targets that have more Hit Dice than 1/4 the Blood Magus' hit dice.

Author's Note: You can drain out entire villages of commoners now. Be careful of the [Evil] Tag you'll probably get.

Blood Components (Su): At 1st level, the Blood Magus gains the ability to use his own blood in place of Material Costs. He can replace material components worth 1gp or less by taking 1 point of Health Burn.

At 4th Level, the Blood Magus gains the ability to replace any amount of GP in material components by 1/50th the GP cost in Health Burn (Rounded up).

At 7th Level, the Blood Magus also gains the ability to replace XP costs, by taking 1/50th the XP cost in Health Burn. He can also replace any Focus required by taking 1 point of Health Burn.

Author's note: I liked this ability from the Tainted Sorcerer, the problem was with the hardcap of 23 HP. With this change, you can still use it to power Animate Dead or other relatively inexpensive spells, but once you start going into True Resurrection and Ice Assassin, it costs 500HP on each casting. Who actually has that much HP?

Blood Stanch (Ex): At 2nd Level, the Blood Magus gains Diehard as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites. He also automatically stabilises when his HP drops below 0, but remains greater than -10.

At 5th Level, this ability also applies to any friendly creatures within the radius of the Blood Magus' Blood Aura.

At 8th level, the Blood Magus can also choose to apply either or both of these effects to any creature he drops below 0 hit points. These effects last until the target has at least 1 hit point.

Author's Note: Might be kind of pointless. You can now drain all the way to -9 and not suffer any drawbacks aside from dying to a stiff breeze.

Blood Potions (EX): At 3rd level, the Blood Magus learns to brew potions using his own blood. He gains the Brew Potion feat, and can his his Blood Components feature to replace the GP and XP costs of creating potions. In addition, the Blood Magus can choose to store the potions within his own body, from where they can be consumed by the Blood Magus as a standard action (per potion) that provokes attacks of opportunity, or by an ally adjacent to the Blood Magus, as a full-round action, by drinking from any open wound (The Blood Magus can create an open wound by taking 1 point of damage).

Potions stored within the Blood Magus' own body never risk being destroyed, unless the Blood Magus himself dies, in which case all the potions are immediately destroyed.

Author's Note: I thought this ability from the original Blood Magus, called Scarification because it also included Scribe Scroll, was pretty cool. Don't think you can get too crazy with brew potion, unlike with scribe scroll.

Thickened Blood (EX): At 5th level, the Blood Magus gains a fine-tuned measure of control over his own blood and his blood becomes thicker. He gains immunity to all poisons and disease, as well as gaining a +2 bonus to Constitution.

At 10th level, the Blood Magus can use blood to control his own body, even when his muscles no longer work. He gains immunity to sleep and paralysis as well as a further +2 Bonus to Constitution.

Author's Note: +4 Total CON is nice. Might as well add something else in.

Blood-Empowered Spells (Su): At 6th level, the Blood Magus gains the ability to use Blood-Empowered spells. Whenever he casts a spell that affects hit points (Deals damage or restores HP), he can choose to take any amount of Constitution burn as an additional cost. For each dice of damage/healing that spell deals/heals, the Blood Magus adds an additional 1d6 for every point of constitution burn.

For example, if the Blood Magus of 11th caster level casts a Fireball and takes 1 point of Constitution burn, then the spell would deal an additional 10d6 damage, as it deals 10 dice of damage. If the same Blood Magus instead chose to cast Cure Light Wounds and took 3 points of Constitution burn, then the spell would heal an additional 3d6 hit points, as it only heals 1 dice of damage.

Author's Note: Well, now a class feature that's actually quite strong. It might be a bit too strong, but ability damage doesn't heal that quickly. So if you decide to go 'Nova' then you'll probably be out of commission for a week or more.

Blood Metamagic (Su): At 8th level, the Blood Magus can use his Constitution to power Metamagic feats. Whenever he applies a Metamagic feat to a spell, he can choose to take any amount of Constitution Burn to lower the cost increase of the Metamagic by 1 for each point of Constitution Burn he took. This cannot lower the cost of the Metamagic below 0.

For example, a Blood Magus wishes to apply Maximise Spell to his Fireball, normally making it a 6th level spell. He could choose to take 1 point of constitution burn to lower it to a 5th level spell, 2 points to a 4th or 3 points to a 3rd. He cannot lower it any further as that would reduce the cost of the Metamagic feat below 0.

Author's Note: Did I ever mention how I like to backload? Well, here's your DMM, except it's not as good because CON burn is more noticeable than lost turning attempts. Again, same problem as Blood-Empowering with taking too much CON burn.

Bloody Hand of Kas (Spell-Like): At 9th level, the Blood Magus gains the ability to use the Bloody Hand of Kas once a day as a spell-like ability.

Level: Blood Magus 9 (7th level Spell)
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Blood Aura (5ft per Blood Magus level)
Target: One Target
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude Partial, see text
Spell Resistance: No

Blood calls to blood and indeed, your blood calls to your foe's. As you raise your left hand and finish the incantation, your foe's blood quite literally flies out of his body, all at once, and goes into yours as your foe collapses, a mere withered husk of what was once a great enemy.

A living creature that fails it's Fortitude Save (10 + Blood Magus Levels + Constitution Modifier) against this spell is instantly slain. This is not a death effect.

A Non-living creature, or living creature that succeeds it's fortitude save, instead takes 10d10 points of Health Burn.

Regardless of the outcome, the Blood Magus gains hit points equal to the damage dealt (Creature's hit points +10 if it was slain). This healing is treated as natural.

------

This ability is also added to your spells known, as a 7th-level spell.

Author's note: I figure everything that you want to kill at this level has a high fort save anyway, so it's really just a save-or-die (but not a death effect), with the ability to deal a bit of damage if they save. If you maximise it you get PW:K 2.0 I guess.

Blood Disincorporation (Ex): At 10th level, the Blood Magus gains the ability to, as an immediate action, turn into blood. Use of this ability gives the Blood Magus the Ooze type, with the following exceptions.

- The Blood Magus is not Mindless, and retains all of his own ability scores, BAB, saves, etc.
- Retains all extraordinary and supernatural abilities gained from class levels, however the Blood Magus loses any ability gains from limbs, such as Flight gained from wings.
- Loses the ability to speak or make somatic gestures.
- As an immediate action, the Blood Magus can assume his normal form again.
- Gains the Split and Amorphous abilities, and can, as a full-round action, choose to split self. In this case, declare a number of hit dice for both parts, but the total HD of all parts can not exceed the Blood Magus' maximum HD.
- All parts share actions, but you can move the parts separately. The total amount moved in this way cannot exceed your move speed.
- Any part ending on a square occupied by another creature means that creature must succeed on a Reflex save (10 + 1/2 Ooze part HD + Constitution modifier) or the ooze is absorbed into that creature's form, where it can only be harmed if the creature takes damage. Exiting the creature and appearing in any adjacent square is a free action.
- Gain the ability to recorporate as a full-round action.
- All ooze parts within Blood Aura radius of a centralised point immediately rush to that point, choosing the shortest path to do so. Any creature that an ooze moves through during this takes 1d6 damage per hit dice of the ooze part, with a reflex (10 + 1/2 ooze part HD + con mod) for half damage. Creatures that ooze parts have been absorbed into do not get a save.
- Your ooze familiar also gains this ability.

Author's note: Really long ability. Probably just DM Fiat on what you can actually do, considering you just turn yourself into an animated puddle of blood. Note that you can still cast spells, they just need to be silent-stilled.

Fuze Ooze (ex): At 10th Level, while in his Ooze form, the Blood Magus gains the ability to fuze with his ooze familiar. In this case:

- Maximum hit points are equal to the Maximum HP total of both forms. Current Hit Points are equal to the combined current HP of both forms. Hit Dice are equal to the Blood Magus' hit dice.
- For all other statistics (BAB, Base Save, etc.) compare the statistic of both forms and use which ever is higher.
- Become treated as one creature.
- Gain all extraordinary and supernatural abilities of both forms.
- Rules for Blood Magus being an ooze are detailed under "Blood Disincorporation" above.

Author's note: My brother was the one that suggested this. Nothing like being a Gargantuan Ooze who can also cast (silent-stilled) spells I guess.

-------------------

Just ask for any clarification on anything, I know my wording is not the best and it might be confusing.

Otherwise, thoughts? Too strong?

Hydrattler
2016-10-01, 10:24 AM
Maybe I'm just blind, but what's the HD of the homebrew, D6 like the original?

andreichekov
2016-10-01, 02:27 PM
I noticed only 2 things that I think are problems, and 1 thing that you could add.

So, this is an arcane caster, getting a will save of 4, AND caster level of 5. Thats silly, because it is quite hard to get a caster level of 5 without having a will save of 4.

The thing where you can use blood for spell components is painful. To cast one spell that way, you expend 1 hp... so to prepare all your spells that way, say a wiz 5/blood 1 will have ~ 25 hp, making it almost half their hp to even use that ability.

A thing you could do, is allow using metamagic by having your con decreased until the spell is cast. So, extend spell, used on mage armour, or whatever and you have -1 con which you get back when you cast it. OOOORRR, when you next prepare spells you get it back, so people don't just abuse persist with that.

Exocist
2016-10-02, 05:00 AM
Maybe I'm just blind, but what's the HD of the homebrew, D6 like the original?

Whoops, must have forgotten that. Written down on my original sheet I have d8, considering Consitution and Hit points is the main theme of the class. It might be a bit much for a caster though.

What would you suggest?

I noticed only 2 things that I think are problems, and 1 thing that you could add.

So, this is an arcane caster, getting a will save of 4, AND caster level of 5. Thats silly, because it is quite hard to get a caster level of 5 without having a will save of 4.

The thing where you can use blood for spell components is painful. To cast one spell that way, you expend 1 hp... so to prepare all your spells that way, say a wiz 5/blood 1 will have ~ 25 hp, making it almost half their hp to even use that ability.

A thing you could do, is allow using metamagic by having your con decreased until the spell is cast. So, extend spell, used on mage armour, or whatever and you have -1 con which you get back when you cast it. OOOORRR, when you next prepare spells you get it back, so people don't just abuse persist with that.

In regards to 1) I suppose you're right. If you wanted to gain early entry via Item Familiar or whatever, 1 caster level isn't going to stop you. Remove the Base Will Save prereq

I guess that means you can now enter as a Martial class with some cheese getting a ACS of 5 (by level 5). Don't know why you'd want to though...

2) In Regards to blood components - In case I worded it badly, you don't HAVE to use the ability, and anyway not even spell has a material component anyway. If you have 12 spells prepared, what are the odds that all of them have a material cost associated with them, and even those that do you can just use the actual material components if you don't want to take the damage.

3) In regards to 3: It's mostly because of the blasting potential that I don't want to do this. If it's a trick you only use once a day for 2 CON burn, then you're completely fine. The Heal skill (DC 15 roll) will get you both points back via long term care. If you suddenly decide that you want to completely annihilate the BBEG by casting Max/Empower/Twin/Split/Repeating Epic Spell of Doom or whatever, then you'll continue to suffer the effects of that for days to come. Making it wear off at the end of a long rest (I.e. when you get your spell slots back/next prepare spells), seems like too little of a cost to me, considering how much power is packed in that spell.