PDA

View Full Version : Shield Gargoyle (Unique Item)

kreytor
2007-07-09, 09:22 PM
I am looking for some help making sure this item/monster is correct. Had to mess with the numbers a bit so let me know what you think :smallsmile:

Shield of the Gargoyle : This +2 Large Shield with a gargoyle face can transform into a Shield Gargoyle once per day for one hour. If slain whild in gargoyle form the gargoyle reverts to a Masterwork Large Steel Shield for one week. At this time it regains its abilities.
Moderate transmutation: CL 11th; Craft Wondrous Item, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, animate objects and summon monster III; Price 20,670

Shield Gargoyle
Small Monstrous Humanoid (Earth)
Hit Dice: 3d8+15 (25 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft. 6 squares, fly 60 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 17 (+3 Dex, +3 Natural, +1 Size), touch 14, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/-1
Attacks: 2 claws +4 melee, bite +2 melee, gore +2 melee
Damage: claw d3, bite 1d4, gore 1d4
Face/Reach: 5ft. by 5ft.
Special Qualities: Damage reduction magic/5, darkvision 60 ft., freeze
Save: Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +3
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 7
Skills: Hide +12*, Listen +3, spot +3
Feats: Multiattack, Weapon Finesse
Challenge Rating: 3
Alignment: Neutral

Freeze (ex): A Shield Gargoyle can hold itself so still it appears to be a statue. DC 20 spot check to notice the Gargoyle is alive.

Skills: Shield Gargoyles recive +2 racial bonus on Hide, Listen and Spot Checks. *The hide bonus increase by +8 when a shield gargoyle is concealed against a background of stone.

Notes: Basically a +2 Shield mixed with a figurine of wondrous power. Not sure what the cost would be but I added the price of both items since it could not be used in both capacities at once.

Kyace
2007-07-09, 10:29 PM
I am looking for some help making sure this item/monster is correct. Had to mess with the numbers a bit so let me know what you think :smallsmile:

Shield of the Gargoyle : This +2 Large Shield with a gargoyle face can transform into a Shield Gargoyle once per day for one hour. If slain whild in gargoyle form the gargoyle reverts to a Masterwork Large Steel Shield for one week. At this time it regains its abilities.
Moderate transmutation: CL 11th; Craft Wondrous Item, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, animate objects and summon monster III; Price 20,670

Shield Gargoyle
Small Monstrous Humanoid (Earth)
Hit Dice: 3d8+15 (28 hp)
Initiative: +2 Dex bonus is +3
Speed: 30 ft. 6 squares, fly 60 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 17 (+3 Dex, +3 Natural, +1 Size), touch 13, flat-footed 13 Size bonus applies to both touch and flat-foot
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+3 Size modifier is -4 for grapple, ended up with a -1 for shield gargoyle
Attacks: 2 claws +4 melee, bite +2 melee, gore +2 melee
Damage: claw d3, bite 1d4, gore 1d4
Face/Reach: 5ft. by 5ft.
Special Qualities: Damage reduction magic/5, darkvision 60 ft., freeze
Save: Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +3 Fort is a poor save: +1 from 3 HD and +4 for 18 con should result in Fort +5
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 7
Skills: Hide +8*, Listen +3, spot +3 Small creatures get a +4 size bonus to hide, does this include that?
Feats: Multiattack, Toughness You might consider weapon finesse since its dex is so much higher than its str.
Challenge Rating: 3
Alignment: Neutral

SNIP...

Notes: Basically a +2 Shield mixed with a figurine of wondrous power. Not sure what the cost would be but I added the price of both items since it could not be used in both capacities at once.
Hmm, for 20,670 gp, one could buy a pair of golden lions figurines (16,500 gp) and a +2 shield. Basically, this turns a slotless item into a shield, which limits who can use it. Compared to other shields, such as the SRD's Lion's shield (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#lionsShield) for 9,170 gp, this seems to be under powered or over costed. Players are paying more than the price of a +4 shield, they might expect more bang for their buck. You might consider making it animated (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#animated) in shield form to free up a hand. A floating shield that turns into flying monster doesn't seem too out of theme, I would think.

kreytor
2007-07-10, 06:38 PM
Made the changes you suggested, but making the item a +2 Animated Shield which turns into a gargoyle seems like a waste of magic.

Hmm... a +1 animated shield costs about 9,170 gp and a pair of Golden Lions Figurines cost 16500, so a single would cost about 8,250, but making it a slotted item would reduce to cost to 4,125. So adding the two would make the item about 13,295gp. Would that be about right?

Kreytor