PDA

View Full Version : Banner Advertisement in Signatures?

Shadic
2007-07-10, 02:13 AM
I was just wondering, because it never really says anything for or against banner ads in signatures.

If it isn't a link to a for-profit site, and it fits within the size limits for signatures, is it okay to make a linking signature for a site, say... A gaming blog?

Roland St. Jude
2007-07-10, 09:04 AM
The rules applying to posts applies also to signatures:

Advertising/Linking
As noted above, commercial (for-profit) advertising is not allowed on GiantITP.com. However, you ARE permitted to start threads advertising non-profit websites; either charity events or merely amateur/fan sites that don't sell anything. Please be sure to observe the rules governing Spam and multiple-thread cross-posting, however, and make sure your plug is in the most appropriate forum (usually Friendly Banter).

You may always advertise or link to works of art online, such as other webcomics, fiction sites, music sites, or anything else that generates original artistic content—even if that site also makes a profit off of that work. We don't want the rules against advertising to prevent people from discovering new creative works that they will love, and don't want to penalize artists for trying to make a living off of their work. However, if a site only resells creative work and does not have any of that work available online, then it is primarily a commercial site and cannot be advertised here.

Shadic
2007-07-10, 09:59 AM
Yeah, I had read that section, but for some reason, my interpretation of it seemed like I was walking on a thin line. The site will perhaps have the standard Google Advertisements, but nothing past that.

SPoD
2007-07-11, 09:06 AM
I'm not a mod, but it seems to me that you are advertising the website, and the website itself is advertising other for-profit businesses. You aren't directly advertising the for-profit businesses, so I think you're in the clear.

Shadic
2007-07-13, 09:49 AM
Hrmm, I guess I wasn't quite specific enough in my description of the site..

Anyways, the site is more of a blog of a person (myself) playing through the games, an idea that I've been before, but it hasn't been so overdone as to be dull for most people... At least I hope.

And as I mentioned before, the site may have a Google Ad or two, but nothing over the top.

Samiam303
2007-07-13, 05:22 PM
Well as Rawhide posted, here's from the official rules...

you ARE permitted to start threads advertising non-profit websites; either charity events or merely amateur/fan sites that don't sell anything.

I don't think anyone cares about a couple of ads on the site, just so long as you're not advertising your own business.