PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Bardic College: The College of Juggling

PapaQuackers
2016-10-01, 09:01 PM
A Bard College based around juggling just for fun!

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkQsNNKC

PapaQuackers
2016-10-04, 11:50 AM
Made a few changes to the juggling dcs and damage. Feedback welcomed and appreciated

PapaQuackers
2016-10-10, 10:34 AM
Overhauled the juggling mechanics and made it into a nice pdf.

Feedback is still welcome.

Lalliman
2016-10-10, 12:27 PM
Unfortunately, the first two abilities are completely out of whack.
1. Adding twice your proficiency bonus to an attack roll is unheard of, and breaks the rule of bounded accuracy. I'd let it fly if it made sense thematically, but this class isn't even about accuracy. Why does it deserve to have a higher hit chance than literally everyone else?
2. Throwing daggers and throwing hammers don't exist. They're just daggers and light hammers.
3. Ambidextrous first says you can dual-wield thrown weapons, which is already possible by default. Then it says you can throw both weapons as part of a single Attack action, which is not how dual-wielding works. So what's the intended effect here?

My recommendation: The existing bard colleges grant two features at level 3, a passive one and an Inspiration-based one. Make the passive one something like "Combat Juggler", which lets you add your ability score bonus to damage when dual-wielding thrown weapons, and lets you either draw extra weapons as part of the attack action or make the weapons return to you when thrown. (This is important because you can normally only draw one weapon per turn.) Then make the other 3rd level feature something that uses your Inspiration dice. Since it's a combat-based archetype, you could perhaps mimic the valour bard's Combat Inspiration.

The other two features look pretty cool, but I'm terrible at estimating the balance of anything involving spells, so I can't give you much insight there.

PapaQuackers
2016-10-10, 12:51 PM
I've made changes in line with what you've said, I can't believe I didn't catch those things earlier on!