PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Corpse Collector 3.5e >>>5e conversion

hellgrammite
2016-10-03, 09:38 PM
Wanted to convert this creature for my 5e campaign. Let me know what your think and I can post additional conversions over time.

http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/iw_cadaver_collector.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b230/hellgrammite00/cc_1.png

Ze_Azrael
2016-10-05, 01:15 PM
I'm honestly not too experienced creating creatures and 5e is the only edition I've played so I can't comment on how "true" to its legacy it is or anything. I just wanted to say that I find the image of that lumbering monstrosity, emotionlessly grabbing people and sticking them on its back to bleed out incredibly cool.

A couple editing corrections, you have "petrified" twice in Immunities, and under Capacity you call him "cadaver collector".

As for the mechanics, I think changing the Impale to be a separate action from Slam would flow better. As it is it currently modifies Slam too much, potentially making it annoying to keep track of. Something like this might be nicer:

Potentially add the Grappler tag to its abilities (The corpse collector has advantage on attack rolls against any creature grappled by it)

Impale: Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 5 ft., one Medium or smaller creature grappled by the corpse collector. Hit: The target takes X piercing damage, becomes Impaled on the corpse collector's back, and the corpse collector's hand becomes free. While Impaled, a creature is Restrained, moves with the corpse collector, and takes X piercing damage at the start of the corpse collector's turns.
An impaled creature can try to escape by taking an action to make a DC 16 [need ability, STR? Athletics?] check. On a success the creature ends the Impale and enters a space of its choice within 5 ft. of the corpse collector.

The Grappler tag would be to replace the instant critical while keeping the flavor. For the Impale damage you can do 6d8 + 6 to make it equivalent to a Slam crit, or use something else entirely at your discretion.