PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Dual Wielding Weapons

SilverStud
2016-10-04, 07:07 PM
I've always liked the idea of unique weapons that aren't necessarily magical. In 5e, if it isn't magic it's just a longsword or whatever. Apparently all weaponsmiths are unimaginative factory workers who make ONLY what is most in demand. No one has pet projects, I guess. Now don't post here saying "but in X time period/setting blah blah free time blah blah modern conveniences." That's not what this is about.

ANYway, the point is, here are some things that Blacksmith Drummond (from one of my games) has made, and I wanna hear what ya'll think.

Twinslash Scimitars:
Dual Scimitars
Damage: 2d6 + 2*DexMod
Bonus to hit: Proficiency/2 (rounded down [even on .5])
Prerequisites: Str 11, Dex 15, TWF/Dual Wielder

Due to the high level of skill needed, you must meet the prerequisite Ability Scores to use this weapon.

Whirlwind Twinblades
Dual Longswords
Damage: 2d8 + 2*StrMod
Bonus to hit: Proficiency/2 (rounded down)
Prerequisites: Str 16, Dex 13, TWF/Dual Wielder

Due to the great strength and skill needed to swing these weapons, you must meet the prerequisites.

Paired Daggers
Dual Daggers
Damage: 2d4 + 2*StrMod
Bonus to hit: Proficiency/2 (rounded down)
Prerequisites: Dex 15, TWF/Dual Wielder

Due to the finesse of the weapons, you must meet the prerequisites to wield them.

So to clear a few things up. First, NO you cannot use two regular (insert weapon here) and get the same effect. These are built differently. How, you ask? I have no clue. I'm not a weaponsmith. They just are.
Second, if the apparent high damage of these bothers you for some reason, remember that they are unique. If you absolutely must, think of them like magic weapons with the magic fluffed out of the equation.

Grayfigure
2016-10-05, 12:37 AM
Heh, a nameless Blacksmith in a game my DM runs invented/reinvented a strange and wonderous magic affinity to tie into a weapon that would revolutionize the world!!

The Affinity?.......Paired Weapons.

.....he did not make a lot of money.,....BUT!! My GOO Pact Bladelock who (for some reason) dual wields rapiers (Dual Wielder) but could only bond 1 weapon into his Pact Dimension is a customer for life!!

(the DM rewrote Paired Weapons for 5e, by allowing separation/recombining the two weapons as an action OR a bonus action for those with the Dual Wielder Feat).