PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Homebrew Help

Raenel
2016-10-06, 08:59 PM
So, I have always love well written homebrew. I frequent here and other boards looking for homebrew ideas that I can use and adapt to my games. I don't post them very often, as either I don't get to run the homebrew and test it or I'm not very confident in my execution of the material. However, I am soon going to be running a game with some of my old players and my first time running a game over skype in a while due to one of my best players and closest friends moving out of state. Anyways, I was hoping I could make the best of the homebrew him and I had been planning. So I would really appreciate if you fine folks on here could help make the best of the rules I am going to present and help with any over sites or the like. And just any feedback on the system changes would be amazing and truly appreciated. Anyways, here we go:

Luck
Luck is a new ability score. It governs over luck points and critical hit and damage bonuses. To determine the number of luck points that are gained every level, use the following formula:
5 + (1/2 level) + luck mod
Luck points can be spent as follows:
To boost to-hit, saving throws, skill checks, defense, and ability checks;
To activate certain feats
Luck points aren't cumulative. When you gain a level, the new luck points are your new total. The remainder of the luck points from last level are lost and cannot be carried over.
When you use the boost function of luck points, you roll a 1d6 and add your luck modifier. This number is then added to the roll that you spent the luck point to boost. You can boost a roll after you roll, but before the result of the roll is announced. Boosts last only for the time of the initial roll. You may only use a particular boost once per roll. For example, if you boost to-hit for a roll, you cannot boost to-hit again for that roll, though you may boost defense or power a feat using luck points.
When you roll inside of your critical threat range and are required to make critical conformation roll, you may add
your luck modifier to the roll. Doing so costs no luck points or additional actions. When a critical roll is confirmed,
you may add on your luck modifier to the damage, before the damage is multiplied. This also costs no luck points or
actions.

Circles Of Health
Instead of hp, all characters use a new health system called circles. A character has a number of health circles equal to their constitution mod plus one, with a minimum of one. Any attack that bypasses a characters defense and deals more damage than a characters toughness score takes away one circle. If the creature has no circles left, then they are considered unconscious and dying. If they still have circles remaining, they take a minus one to all d20 rolls, a minus one to toughness, and minus one to weapon damage rolls. These bonuses stack and last until the circle is healed.

Toughness
Toughness is your characters ability to shrug off damage. If an attack hits and doesn't deal enough damage to get past a characters toughness, then the attack is rendered ineffective and does not cause the character to lose a circle of health. Toughness is calculated with the following formula;
(con mod x 2) + BAB
If a character has damage reduction, add the damage reduction against all attacks, except for attacks that would bypass that damage reduction. Attacks that deal energy damage also bypass this. Add only the highest dr applicable to the damage.
If a character has energy resistance, add the energy resistance against attacks that deal that type of damage.
Immunity means that a character's toughness cannot be beaten by that damage type, regardless of the amount.
Natural Armor class is also added to toughness, instead of defense.
If you are using armour as ac, add the armour bonus to defense. If your are using armour as dr, add to toughness as with all dr.
For example, Jack the Level 5 Mineral Warrior Human Fighter with 20 con, dr 8/adamantine, and NA +3. His toughness score would be (5 x 2) + 5 + 8vsNon-adamantine + 3 or 26vsNon-adamantine and 18 vs adamantine. If Jack then equiped a ring of fire resistance +20, his new toughness is (5 x 2) + 5 + 8vsNon-adamantine + 20vsFire + 3 or 38vsFire, 26vsNon-adamantine, and 1vsAdamantine

Defense
Defense is your characters ability to avoid being hit by attacks. If an attack against your character doesn't exceed your defense roll, you are not hit and don't have to compare damage to toughness score. Defense is calculated with the following formula;
Dex mod(capped by armour maximum) + 1/2 BAB + bonuses to ac except for natural armour
If your are using armour as ac instead of armour as dr, your add your armour bonus to defense instead of toughness. When attacked, the character rolls a 1d20 + your defense score. If the attack exceeds the roll, then your are hit. Otherwise, the attack missed.

Note: This is for a 3.pf game and is something I have already partially tested. The Circle and Toughness system was a big hit with my players, but those are the only parts I have personally tested and even they haven't had in depth testing. And the inspiration for the luck system is a mix action points and plain wondering of what luck could and should govern.