PDA

View Full Version : Extremely dice-heavy games

weckar
2016-10-10, 09:30 AM
So, I am looking for extremely dice-heavy games. Why? Because if the game comes down to mostly luck, it means I can be both GM and all the players without having an unfair advantage.

If there are any specifically designated solo RPGs I'd also be interested :)

Jay R
2016-10-10, 09:54 AM
So, I am looking for extremely dice-heavy games. Why? Because if the game comes down to mostly luck, it means I can be both GM and all the players without having an unfair advantage.

If there are any specifically designated solo RPGs I'd also be interested :)

I can't help you. But if you know which door has the trap and which one has the treasure, dice don't change that.

Years ago there were some "Choose Your Own Adventure" books. That's the closest I can think of. But my real recommendation is a computer game. Let the machine be the GM.

weckar
2016-10-10, 10:03 AM
I feel it can't be any harder than playing chess against oneself? Make it random which door is safe.

Jay R
2016-10-10, 10:11 AM
I feel it can't be any harder than playing chess against oneself? Make it random which door is safe.

An excellent analogy. When playing chess, I set up traps that work if the opponent doesn't see them in time, or move sequences longer than I think he'll work through. You can take turns moving white and black pieces, but the result is not the same as playing a game of chess.

Jormengand
2016-10-10, 10:22 AM
If you like, I can probably make a quick automatic dungeon generator (which also hides this information) for you, for a system of your choice (that either I know, or that isn't too complicated). What kind of system would you play, given a free choice?

weckar
2016-10-10, 10:22 AM
I actually like playing chess against myself...

As for preferred systems, I like most d20 based systems. Pathfinder, 3.5, d20 modern, Mutants & masterminds...

Comet
2016-10-10, 10:38 AM
Here you go, dude. (http://blogofholding.com/dungeonrobber/) Dungeons & Dragons random dungeon generation automated and interfaced so that you can just run through dungeons on your own and have a good time.

weckar
2016-10-10, 10:44 AM
Thanks that'll certainly work! I'd still like to find a game as in my original question for when I'm away from the computer, though.

Friv
2016-10-10, 04:10 PM
I would generally say that Cortex games are among the most dice-heavy in that sense; a lot of the story tends to expand based on when various people roll successes, and when they roll a bunch of 1s.

So: Leverage in particular, Smallville, Marvel Heroic Roleplay, and Firefly (but not Serenity).

Psyren
2016-10-10, 04:22 PM
Rolemaster has a bunch of d100 tables. L5R has dice pools.

Enjoy!

wumpus
2016-10-10, 04:50 PM
Didn't Vampire, the masquerade have some memes with a ton of dice (d6s) and saying something like "there, that's enough for VtM"?

Knaight
2016-10-10, 04:53 PM
Didn't Vampire, the masquerade have some memes with a ton of dice (d6s) and saying something like "there, that's enough for VtM"?

I doubt it. For one thing, they use d10s. That the number of dice is fairly moderate is a different point - yes, it's a dicepool system so it uses more than non-dicepool systems tend to, but it's no Shadowrun. It's definitely no Mythender.

nedz
2016-10-10, 06:13 PM
The more dice you roll: the more likely the result is to be close to the average — well if you roll all the dice at once anyway.

As to your second question:
Tunnels and Trolls: Deathtrap Equaliser, etc.
Warning: This is VERY VERY old school. Lots of dice though.

Khedrac
2016-10-11, 01:15 AM
Dice heavy? :- Tunnels and Trolls

Solo play? Well there are also the RuneQuest 2 (Chaosium original) adventures that were published and can be used with RQ3 (Avalon Hill).

Knaight
2016-10-11, 01:47 AM
On solo play: There's always the Mythic Game Master Emulator (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/20798/Mythic-Game-Master-Emulator?it=1&affiliate_id=237127), which pulls just the GM emulation parts (various tables and such) from Mythic (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/16173/Mythic-Role-Playing?manufacturers_id=480&it=1).

Calthropstu
2016-10-11, 03:24 AM
If you are trying to solo game there are actually a few games where this could conceivably work.

Descent and Arkham Horror lend themselves well to this. Arkham Horror specifically has rules for 1 player games. Descent is basically the RP equivalent of chess. If you play chess against yourself, Descent will work just as well.

You can also do an Arena combat form of D&D. Make a bunch of characters and fight them against each other. I am sure there's a bunch of others you can do.

Personally, I'd do the computer games though. Baldur's Gate (and its companion games) can easily be found with some simple searching, and are amazing adventures. Icewind Dale 1&2, Baldurs Gate 1+TotSC&2 + ToB, Neverwinter Nights (which has numerous campaigns) & 2 which has numerous more. All solo, all amazing.