PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Blade [Feats]

ilovefire
2007-07-10, 09:15 PM
I like the Warlock and Soulknife classes, and thought about making a character with both classes, and then I thought of these feats. Thoughts?

Mindlock [General, Psionic]
Prereq: Eldritch Blast 1d6, Psychic Strike +1d8

You have learned to combine your natural eldritch might with your psionically forged blade. Your Warlock and Soulknife levels stack for invocations known, max level of invocations known, psychic strike damage, mind blade enhancement bonus, and your mind blade enhancement ability.

Eldritch Blade [General, Psionic]

Prereq: Eldritch Blast 1d6, Psychic Strike +1d8, Mindlock, Ability to use Lesser invocations, Shape Mind Blade class feature.

Expanding upon the knowledge of the Mindlock, you may now directly channel eldritch energy through your mind blade.As long as you are psionically focused, your mind blade deals extra damage equal to your Eldritch Blast damage.

CthulhuM
2007-07-10, 09:57 PM
I think both of these feats could use a bit of revising - I can't see a warlock ever using any of the abilities granted to it by Mindlock, and the only real use a soulknife would have for Eldritch Blast is as a ranged attack when he's too far away to use his mindblade effectively, or with your second feat. On that note, Eldritch Blade is just too powerful - a soulknife with both of these feats (and 1 level in warlock) is effectively a rogue that gets to sneak attack on every single attack, no matter what he's fighting or what position he's in. Granted, even this probably wouldn't make the soulknife overpowered at high levels, but it's hardly the way to go about fixing the class.

The idea behind the feats could work, though, with some modifications to Mindlock. Perhaps give invocation progression instead of eldritch blast to the soulknife, and instead of giving the warlock mindblade progression, let him create a mindblade that deals eldritch blast damage instead of it's normal damage, with relevant enhancement bonuses to attack and any psychic strike or mind blade enhancements he has access to. With this, you wouldn't even have to change Eldritch Blade, since the soulknife would have limited access to Eldritch Blast progression.

ilovefire
2007-07-11, 08:42 PM
Hmm, yes. Good points, taken into account, and editted in.

JackMage666
2007-07-11, 09:40 PM
I dunno if it's overpowered, since it essentially makes your mindblade a bit more potent Eldritch Glaive, at the cost of 2 feats. Maybe make Eldritch Glaive a pre-requisite for Eldritch Blade to balance a bit.
Also, a Mindblade attack is a melee attack, not a melee touch attack like a Eldritch Glaive or Eldritch Blast.

EDIT - Durp. Wasn;t thinking.