PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Made a class based on Bloodborne - Featuring the Hunter (Base Class) [PEACH]

Exocist
2016-10-16, 05:22 AM
http://orig10.deviantart.net/e533/f/2016/036/6/7/cm___father_gascoigne_by_enijoi-d9qmeqk.jpg

"What's that smell? The sweet blood, oh it sings to me. It's enough to make a man sick..."

http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/file/Bloodborne/Gascoigne%20Beast%20Frontal%201.png

Flavour:

Hunters are warriors who embrace their bestial instincts to become the ultimate predator.

Strength and Dexterity are the main stats of a Hunter, as they aim to strike quickly and lethally.

Authors Note:

Well, I tried to make a good martial class without resorting to Fightan Magic. I think there might be a bit many scaling class features, and it is probably a bit too powerful, but PEACH me anyway.

Statistics:

Hit Dice: D10
BAB: Full
Saves: Strong Fort/Strong Ref/Poor Will
Skill Points: 4+Int
Starting Gold: 6d4 x 10 (As Fighter)
Skills: As Fighter except lose Craft + Handle animal, gain Spot, Survival, Listen, Tumble, Balance.

Abilities:

http://cdn1.twinfinite.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/bloodborne-beast-mode.jpg

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Hunters are proficient with all Simple and Martial melee weapons. They are not proficient with armor or with shields.

Claws of the Beast (EX): At 1st Level, a Hunter begins his transformation into beasthood, starting with his hands. He gains 2 Claw attacks that deal 1d6 + STR damage each (Regardless of size) and have a critical threat of 19-20/x3. These claw attacks can either be treated as natural or unarmed at the Hunter's discretion. If the Hunter chooses to treat these claws as unarmed he is also treated as having Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat.

At 2nd and every 3 levels thereafter, the damage of the claws increases as shown by the table:

TABLE:
1st level - 1d6
2nd level - 1d8
5th level - 2d6
Every 3 levels after - +1d6

At 6th, these claws are treated as Adamantine for the purposes of overcoming hardness and damage reduction.

At 9th, these claws are treated as Magic for the purposes of overcoming hardness and damage reduction.

Dash Attack (EX): At 2nd level a Hunter learns to attack as part of natural movement. After every 5-ft step the hunter makes, he can choose to make a single attack against any enemy within his threatened area.

Leap of the Beast (EX): At 3rd level, the Hunter's legs become stronger and more bestial in nature, increasing his abilities to jump. He gains a +10-ft proficiency bonus to Jump checks and is always treated as having a running start when jumping.

At 6th and every 3 levels thereafter, this proficiency bonus increases by a further 10-feet.

Beast's Agility (EX): At 4th level, a Hunter can take 5-ft steps even if he has already moved in a turn (He still cannot exceed his movement capacity). In addition, the Hunter can make a 5-ft step even if his movement is hampered by difficult terrain or darkness. Other conditions that would stop a Hunter from moving still prevent his ability to make a 5-ft step, however.

Ferocious Surge (EX): At 5th level, the Hunter delves even further into beasthood. What were once mere steps now become a predator's jump as if trying to catch prey. The Hunter gains a +5-ft proficiency bonus to his 5-ft step (I.e. it becomes a 10-ft step). It is still treated as a 5-ft step for all other purposes.

At 10th and every 5 levels thereafter, this proficiency bonus increases by a further 5-feet.

Beast's Swiftness (EX): At 6th level, the Hunter takes on the speed of a beast. He gains Spring Attack as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the Prerequisites. In addition, he also gains a +10-ft proficiency bonus to his movement speed.

At 8th and every 2 levels thereafter, this proficiency bonus increases by 10-feet.

At 11th level, he gains Bounding Assault as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the Prerequisites. At 16th level, he gains Rapid Blitz as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the Prerequisites.

Dodge Roll (EX): At 7th level, the Hunter's bestial instincts let him react quickly to avoid danger. As an Immediate action, the Hunter may make a 5-ft step. This 5-ft step can be made in addition to the single 5-ft step normally granted in a round and does not count against the Hunter's movement capacity.

Scent of the Beast (EX): At 8th level, a Hunter learns to track his prey via smell. He gains a 30-ft Blindsight, however this Blindsight is defeated by anything that would defeat Scent (See the Scent feat).

At 10th and every 2 levels thereafter, this Blindsight increases by 5-feet.

Beastly Fervor (EX): At 9th level, the Hunter combines both his Strength and Speed to escape situations in ways others could not. He is affected as if he had a permanent Freedom of Movement effect on him at all times.

Beastly Strength (EX): At 10th, the Hunter's muscles strengthen even further and his hairs become like a sheet of grey fur. He is treated as being one size category larger when it would be beneficial. In effect, this means the Hunter gains:

+8 to his Strength Score
+4 to his Constitution Score
+4 to his Bull Rush, Grapple, Disarm and Trip rolls.
Double his carrying capacity
His Weight is treated as 8 times his normal weight when it would be beneficial

At 20th level, the Hunter completes his beastly transformation. He is instead treated as being 2 size categories larger when it would be beneficial instead and his type changes to Magical Beast (He cannot, however, be tamed via Handle Animal or similar abilities).

Beast's Grip (EX): At 12th level, a Hunter learns to use his beastly prowess to move where others cannot. His movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity and in addition he is treated as having Climb, Swim and Burrow speeds equal to his land speed. He also gains a +20 proficiency bonus to all Balance checks he makes.

Reaction of the Beast (EX): At 13th level, the Hunter gains Combat Reflexes as a bonus feat (If he already has this feat, he may choose a different one instead). In addition, he can choose to take a 5-ft step instead of making an attack of opportunity. 5-ft steps taken this way do not count against the Hunter's number of 5-ft steps taken in a round or his movement capacity.

Visceral Attacks (EX): At 14th level, a Hunter dismembers his foes in a gory fashion. Whenever the Hunter slays a foe, each enemy within 30ft of the Hunter must succeed on a Fortitude Save (DC 10+Hunter's STR Mod+1/2 Hunter's HD) or become sickened (Cannot push beyond Sickened) and a Will Save (DC 10+Hunter's DEX Mod+1/2 Hunter's HD) or become frightened (Cannot push beyond Frightened.) If the attack was a critical hit, instead these conditions become Nauseated and Panicked respectively.

Pouncing Predator (EX): At 15th level, the Hunter can take any number of 5-ft steps in a round. He still cannot exceed his movement capacity using 5-ft steps.

Mind of the Beast (EX): At 16th level, a Hunter's mind becomes so primal that magic ceases to function on it. He is affected as though he had a permanent Mind Blank effect.

Beastly Zeal (EX): At 17th level, the Hunter becomes able to react to more as he gives in even further to his instincts. He gains a bonus immediate action each round, and immediate actions taken do not consume his swift action next turn.

Horrid (EX): At 19th level, a Hunter becomes ghastly to behold. He gains the benefits of the Dire and Horrid animal templates, except his type and alignment remain as normal.

Beastly Dismemberment (EX): At 20th level, a Hunter becomes able to land multiple blows in the blink of an eye. Whenever the Hunter is allowed an attack of opportunity, he may make as many attacks of opportunity as he wishes, provided the total number of Attacks of Opportunity he would take in that round do not exceed his maximum.

Exocist
2016-10-16, 06:58 AM
RESERVED In case of any changes I need to make.

EDIT 1: Some more thoughts:

How does a Hunter deal with casters?

The Design I had in mind with the Hunter was similar to dealing with ranged in Bloodborne, despite (most of the time) only having melee attacks. The Hunter can either choose to A) 5-ft step into the caster's threatened area and hope that his single attack is enough to disrupt concentration OR B) 5-ft step behind cover and block line of sight/effect.

It is important to note that although he has perma Freedom of Movement and Mind Blank, you still have the same issues as any BSF or Glass Cannon against casting. Make sure you use those 5-ft steps well :P

What is the actual damage on the claws?

Breakdown by level:

1 - 1d6
2 - 1d8
5 - 2d6
8 - 3d6
10 - 4d6
11 - 6d6
14 - 8d6
17 - 10d6
20 - 14d6

It seems to get quite silly past level 10. It is possible that I should just increase it by a single dice rather than using the weapon dice table. This would reduce the damage to 5d6/6d6/7d6/9d6 at 11/14/17/20.

EDIT: In Hindsight, this damage has been adjusted to:

1 - 1d6
2 - 1d8
5 - 2d6
8 - 3d6
11 - 4d6
14 - 5d6
17 - 6d6
20 - 7d6

nikkoli
2016-10-16, 12:46 PM
With beastly strength you net 16 strength, 8 Constitution, 5 natural armor (sizing gIves 2 from medium to large and 3 from large to huge I believe), +2 claw die size on top of the normal progression, +8 to combat manuvers, 4x carry capacity vs medium creatures on top of the ton of strength, and if being super heavy were ever good you could be up to 64x your weight. That ability alone is amazing, if not a little over the top.

Exocist
2016-10-16, 04:00 PM
With beastly strength you net 16 strength, 8 Constitution, 5 natural armor (sizing gIves 2 from medium to large and 3 from large to huge I believe), +2 claw die size on top of the normal progression, +8 to combat manuvers, 4x carry capacity vs medium creatures on top of the ton of strength, and if being super heavy were ever good you could be up to 64x your weight. That ability alone is amazing, if not a little over the top.

By level 20 though. I don't believe that one single size increase is too powerful at 10th level.

I'll admit I probably should drop the claw damage so that the strength bonus doesn't become overwhelming with the amount of damage you can do.

Otherwise, all those bonuses just help you in strength attempts vs other suitably large creatures at that level.

EDIT: It seems the CON bonus also helps slightly - but 20 HP at level 10 isn't going to mean that much and I've never really been a fan of straight up HP - It helps you control the damage, not damage the control :smalltongue:

But otherwise, lets run some scenarios for the Level 20 Hunter

VS Huge Creature X - Sizing Bonuses cancel out. 1d20 + Base STR roll on both sides. About what's expected.

VS Double-Expanded Psychic Warrior - He can become Huge by level 7, so he has an advantage on you anyway. But ignoring that, you have a slight advantage on the sizing bonuses (+4 from your extra 8 strength on his). Otherwise, Sizing Bonuses cancel, leaving your 1d20+Base STR+4 vs his 1d20+Base STR. Result: About what's expected.

VS Standard 8 STR Wizard A: - This is where you'd expect your bull rush attempt to actually do something. Let's see - you have a +16 sizing bonus vs his 0 (+8 from STR, +8 naturally), so you're rolling 1d20+Base STR+16 vs his 1d20-1. You're a freaking werewolf, you'd expect to send him ragdolling, and you can.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The real issue will be the extra damage. So I think I might make the claws do fixed damage (I.e., don't do more damage for sizing up) and 1 dice = 1 dice, so the progression looks like 1d6/1d8/2d6/3d6/4d6/5d6/6d6/7d6 at 1/2/5/8/11/14/17/20. That seems fair to me, unless there is something i'm missing.