PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Spellstones -- customized consumables [Balance help requested]

PhoenixPhyre
2016-10-17, 02:18 PM
I'm running 5e in a custom world where permanent magical items are vanishingly rare (at least at this time). I plan to include various special material types (to make items out of). For spellcasting purposes, my plan is spellstones. These are naturally-occurring stones that can be refined and charged (using spell slots).

What I want to know is if the effects listed below look at least reasonably balanced (and what rarity would be assigned). Note that all of these are consumable--usually a single charge.

Spellstones
Spellstone is a quartz-like crystal that can store aether. It comes in various forms, depending on the source and the levels of refinement. Charging a spellstone consumes a spell slot--the more powerful the slot the greater the effect. When a spellstone is used, it crumbles to dust. Refining a spellstone requires jeweler's tools. Raw spellstone can be used direct from nature.

Refinement Level
Cost to make
Time to charge
Time to make
Usage

Raw
--
10 minutes
--
When thrown (40 foot range unless using a sling), all creatures within 10 feet of the targeted location take 2d6 force damage (increasing 1d6 for every level of slot above 1st). Using at least a 3rd level slot increases the radius to 20 feet; a 5th level slot to 30 feet. Targets can make a dexterity save vs the preparer’s DC for half damage.

Cut
100 gp
5 minutes
1 day
As raw, but with 1d6 extra base damage
OR
Store up to a 3rd level spell (as if cast by the appropriate slot with creator's save DC/attack bonus). User must concentrate as normal.

Refined
500 gp
1 action
1 week
As raw, but with 2d6 extra base damage and 20 foot radius (increasing to 30/40 ft with the appropriate level of spell slot).
OR
Store up to a 5th level spell (as if cast by the appropriate slot with caster save DC/attack bonus). User must concentrate as normal.

Thoughts?

Silvanshei
2016-10-24, 10:42 AM
Spellstones
Spellstone is a quartz-like crystal that can store aether. It comes in various forms, depending on the source and the levels of refinement. Charging a spellstone consumes a spell slot--the more powerful the slot the greater the effect. When a spellstone is used, it crumbles to dust. Refining a spellstone requires jeweler's tools. Raw spellstone can be used direct from nature.

Does the spell slot remain consumed until the stone is used or can someone charge multiple stones over many days? It would be fun to capture spellcasters and siphon their power to create "grenades" for a whole army.

Light Visored
2016-11-01, 12:01 PM
Hey, new the forum and was browsing content to see if anythng suited the games I am running atm. I have to say when I first saw this I was expecting the gems repalcing scrolls thing I have seen in several place but I was pleasently surprised! I really like this idea! Not sure on the protocol for this sort of place and was wondering if it was okay to use this in my homebrew world?

PhoenixPhyre
2016-11-01, 02:38 PM
Hey, new the forum and was browsing content to see if anythng suited the games I am running atm. I have to say when I first saw this I was expecting the gems repalcing scrolls thing I have seen in several place but I was pleasently surprised! I really like this idea! Not sure on the protocol for this sort of place and was wondering if it was okay to use this in my homebrew world?

Sure. Use it away. If you publish it somewhere, please at least include a link to the thread.

PhoenixPhyre
2016-11-01, 02:42 PM
Does the spell slot remain consumed until the stone is used or can someone charge multiple stones over many days? It would be fun to capture spellcasters and siphon their power to create "grenades" for a whole army.

My initial thought was that the spell slot recovers normally. So, given enough time and materials a spellcaster could create a significant stockpile of charged stones.

On the other hand, this stuff's rare. A single deposit might only have 5-10 stones in it total. One thing I didn't post was the ability to embed a stone into a weapon, creating a magical weapon that you can channel the stored spell through (and counts as magical until the stone is exhausted). I'd expect more of those to be used. The direct use (grenades) was designed as a field-expedient use for characters who stumble across some in an abandoned mine, etc.

Light Visored
2016-11-03, 01:35 PM
Cool thanks! So does that mean that if you use them as grenades you can just pick them up and charge them again then if they can be put into weapon slots?

PhoenixPhyre
2016-11-03, 02:45 PM
Cool thanks! So does that mean that if you use them as grenades you can just pick them up and charge them again then if they can be put into weapon slots?

No. All the stones are single use. Think "alkaline battery" not "rechargeable battery." Discharging a stone completely destroys it. Weapon slot stones have a couple differences:

Only cantrips can be stored in them
They hold more charges (5 for the least refined, more if they're elementally-attuned, and more based on refinement)
The weapon counts as magical for immunities and resistances until the last charge is drained.
The user chooses to use a charge on hit (just like a smite).
The cantrips always have their base damage value
DC scaling (if any) depends on the user's attacking stat
Ranged weapons can imbue the ammunition. I know the "choose on hit" thing is wonky for an arrow, but it's more balanced that way (and easier to adjudicate)

Kane0
2016-11-04, 02:15 AM
Can they be used with slings?

PhoenixPhyre
2016-11-04, 05:06 AM
Can they be used with slings?

I don't see why not. That would extend the range, but that's about it.

Silvanshei
2016-11-04, 08:37 AM
What is the rarity of finding these as treasure and how common would deposits be?

PhoenixPhyre
2016-11-04, 10:19 AM
What is the rarity of finding these as treasure and how common would deposits be?

My tentative thoughts are rare or very rare as treasure and uncommon or rare for deposits. I'd like feedback on how the power level rates compared to other similar items. I figure it's on par with a scroll: + a little for the grenade effect, - a bit for not being scribable. Any help from more experienced folk on that part would be wonderful.

Weapons with slots would have to be custom made. It's a low-magic-item world (high magic, but making permanent magic items is hard/not possible). I plan to have materials with limited magical properties (mithril, dragonscale, elementally-attuned woods/metals/skins) for most of the "special item" demand.