PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Stating a hybrid monster

deathbymanga
2016-10-20, 09:38 AM
So, in my campaign, I have a case where a Mafia accidentally created the Yuan-Ti potion by dumping drug waste into an abandoned sewer network. The potion is not dangerous unless it is breathed in, however, recently a mad terrorist attack led to the sewer system being blown up, releasing the potion into homes and refugee centers, as well as being released into the ocean water. Now, I can just use the Yuan-Ti stats for these poor humans, but I'm having trouble trying to figure out what I would stat for a Fish-Yuan-Ti hybrid

malachi
2016-10-20, 12:39 PM
Humans who become yuan-ti have their skin, head, and lower body change to become snake-like. Thus, fish who become fish-yuan-ti should have their skin, scales, and lower body change to become snake-like.

Clearly, this would result in the Piranhaconda (https://www.google.com/#safe=active&q=Piranhaconda+).

However, you'd want to size each fish-yuan-ti for a roughly similar size to what the fish was originally. Make regular fish into swimming snakes, make sharks into... giant snakes? Are there stats for those somewhere?

Arkhios
2016-10-20, 12:47 PM
I made something similar once, mixing the stats of a large and tiny creatures

I took both stats, added them together and put the average values (rounded down) before I did any re-calculations to attacks, damage, saves, skills, and AC.

Assuming medium as the standard size 0 (origo), large as +1 size, and tiny as -2 size, their total was -1 size, thus being small.

After this I added the features I figured the end result would have from each origin creatures.

The average of their Challenge Ratings would be my goal to determine the final stat block (still subject to change).

deathbymanga
2016-10-20, 02:34 PM
I made something similar once, mixing the stats of a large and tiny creatures

I took both stats, added them together and put the average values (rounded down) before I did any re-calculations to attacks, damage, saves, skills, and AC.

Assuming medium as the standard size 0 (origo), large as +1 size, and tiny as -2 size, their total was -1 size, thus being small.

After this I added the features I figured the end result would have from each origin creatures.

The average of their Challenge Ratings would be my goal to determine the final stat block (still subject to change).

Oh Gawd, a Giant Shark is a Huge creature, would this shrink the shark, or would we get a Colossal Shark with a snake body and Venom in it's thousands upon thousands of teeth

Arkhios
2016-10-20, 02:46 PM
Oh Gawd, a Giant Shark is a Huge creature, would this shrink the shark, or would we get a Colossal Shark with a snake body and Venom in it's thousands upon thousands of teeth

Size doesn't always matter, but why don't you see how it works out? If it feels underwhelming, you're always free to scale the size up. What I did isn't from the book, it was just an idea I had, and it worked for me as a guideline for what to aim for.
It's certainly possible that it doesn't work for you.

malachi
2016-10-20, 02:56 PM

The answer is always one that includes the descriptor "in it's thousands upon thousands of teeth". :smallbiggrin: