PDA

View Full Version : The Scout 5e Archetype

PapaQuackers
2016-10-22, 11:23 PM
I'm just doing a quick and dirty attempt at converting the 3.5 Scout from the complete adventurer to 5E for a friend of mine who is a huge fan of the class.

Skirmish:
The Scout is known for his quick movement and swift strikes. Beginning at 3rd level so long as the Scout has moved at least 10ft, and is within 15ft of a target he may apply his sneak attack damage on the first attack made against that target.

Natural Explorer
You are a master of navigating the natural world, and you react with swift and decisive action when attacked. This grants you the following benefits:
• You ignore difficult terrain.
• You have advantage on initiative rolls.
• On your first turn during combat, you have advantage on attack rolls against creatures that have not yet acted.
In addition, you are skilled at navigating the wilderness. You gain the following benefits when traveling for an hour or more:
• Difficult terrain doesn’t slow your group’s travel.
• Your group can’t become lost except by magical means.
• Even when you are engaged in another activity while traveling (such as foraging, navigating, or tracking), you remain alert to danger.
• If you are traveling alone,you can move stealthily at a normal pace.
• When you forage, you find twice as much food as you normally would.
• While tracking other creatures, you also learn their exact number, their sizes, and how long ago they passed through the area.

Fast Movement and A Light Foot:
Beginning at 9th level the Scout has become more fleet of foot than any of those around him. He gains an additional 15ft of movement and he leaves no footprints or detectable trail when passing through an area. In addition to that, a Scout is treated as though he is always taking the disengage action in respect to opportunity attacks.

Camouflage and Hide In Plain Sight:
Beginning at 13th level the Scout has become a master at blending in with natural surroundings. The scout may attempt to hide even when he is only slightly obscured by foliage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist, and other natural phenomena. On top of that he may attempt to Hide, in circumstances which normally would allow him to do so, even while being directly observed.

Skirmisher's Reflexes:
When you reach 17th level, you have become adept at laying ambushes and quickly escaping danger. You can take turns during the first round of any combat. You take your first turn at your normal initiative and your second turn at your initiative minus 10. You can't use this feature when surprised.

So what do you guys think of the quick and dirty adaptation?

Gr7mm Bobb
2016-10-23, 10:00 AM
Not sure if you've seen this yet:Kits of Old (http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/04_UA_Classics_Revisited.pdf)

But wizards put out a sampler style of UA that offered Scout among the fighter archetypes.

The bonus movespeed is honestly really intense, yeah "its just movespeed" but you are handing out movespeed in larger chunks than even the melee dependent classes like the Monk and the Barbarian. The untraceable steps is cool and very ranger/druid-like so it would make sense for a scout archetype.

The Hide in plain sight having the elves "mask of the wild" is neat and thematic. Not sure why you didn't just mix the first part with the rangers camouflage feature. Overall the 9th level ability feels hollow, but I'm not sure why yet.

The capstone has a lot of small moving parts that don't quite pack the punch that a capstone should, especially a rogue one. The thief gets to take 2 turns in the first round, the assassin has the chance to nuke a single target, and the arcane trickster gets to steal friggen' spell slots. This has parts that I would see in a 7th level or even 3rd level ability (not all at once) but nothing that makes me say 'wow'. Also the random +1's to AC and such aren't really a thing anymore, 5e has been trying (at least from the phb perspective) to minimize the amount of bookkeeping a player has to do without toggling 3 different stats from round to round.

Maybe try something that lets them feel like the commandos they can be. The scout is about recon, stealth, mobility, and the ability to handle most problems it runs into.

PS- Try not to forget to tag your threads with the game they are relevant to.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-10-23, 11:08 AM
I'd grant the (new?) Ranger's Natural Explorer features at 3rd as well as Skirmish. I agree that the 9th level feature is underwhelming... raw speed wasn't actually a huge part of the 3.5 Scout, so perhaps drop the bonus to 10ft, but add some sort of protection against AoOs? Skirmisher's Defense is frankly embarrassing for a 17th level feature, though; I think I'd simply steal the Thief's ability.

PapaQuackers
2016-10-23, 06:23 PM
Made a few changes as suggested. I'm a bit hesitant to give them an additional ability at third level, I think being able to apply sneak attack damage on multiple targets at once potentially (with multiclassing in mind) is pretty powerful in its own right.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-10-23, 08:09 PM
Made a few changes as suggested. I'm a bit hesitant to give them an additional ability at third level, I think being able to apply sneak attack damage on multiple targets at once potentially (with multiclassing in mind) is pretty powerful in its own right.
Sneak attack only ever works on one attack per turn; the only way to make multiple sneak attacks is via AoOs-- and the best AoO option (Polearm Master) isn't compatible with Sneak Attack because it doesn't work with non-finesse weapons. So no harm there.

PapaQuackers
2016-10-23, 08:16 PM
Oh, I hadn't realized that. I guess it wouldn't hurt to add that ranger feature then.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-10-24, 07:56 AM
Looks like a pretty decent scout type now, yeah.