PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Chargen in our game

lylsyly
2016-10-26, 01:20 PM
This is how we are going to Chargen in our next campaign (homebrew world), I am a Player, not the DM. This is how they were doing it when I joined the group August 2016, I just helped to codify it a bit and asked permission to post it. We have had fun with it so far.

Character Generation in the World of Avalar

When I first started with playing with this group back in August 2016 this was pretty much how things were being done. I helped to codify it a bit and got permission to post it.

Premise #1: Adventurers are in fact the crème of the crop, the one percent of one percent that aren’t afraid to get out and do something. If they weren’t, they would be home milking the cows.

Premise #2: Low level characters survival rate just isn’t that great, for any class.

Premise #3: A little help just might balance out the races a bit so that they are more in line with each other instead of scattered across 5 levels of a tier system.

Solution #1: All Ability Scores will be rolled using 10+1d8 giving a range before modifiers of 11 to 18. Scores will be assigned to suit.

Solution #2: All characters will start at 3rd level. Hit Points for the 1st three levels will be maxed out.

Solution #3: All characters will have their Racial Paragon Class added in a Gestalt. These levels WILL NOT take up a slot, they will be subsumed into the regular class levels. For the Half Elf and Half Orc this means that the Half –elf/orc Paragon Class and either the Elf or Orc Paragon Class will be added as well (over the course of three levels NOT six). Hit Dice used will be the class OR the Paragon Class, whichever is greater. BAB and Saves will also be whichever is greater. Skill Point will be the paragon class or base class whichever is greater. Class Skill List will include both the Paragon and the Base class for the 1st three levels.

NOTE: These rules apply to both PCs and Major NPCs
Two Campaign types: We run both Low power and High power Campaigns. Low power campaigns run pretty much as standard. High power campaigns will be Gestalt Characters.

Low Power Example 1: Level Classes
Human Fighter 1 Fighter 1 / Human Paragon 1
2 Fighter 2 / Human Paragon 2
Starting Level 3 Fighter 3 / Human Paragon 3
4 Fighter 4

Low Power Example 2: Level Classes
Half Orc Barbarian 1 Barbarian 1 / Half Orc Paragon 1 / Orc Paragon 1
2 Barbarian 2 / Half Orc Paragon 2 / Orc Paragon 2
Starting Level 3 Barbarian 3 / Half Orc Paragon 3 / Orc paragon 3
4 Barbarian 4

High Power Example 3: Level Class 1 Class 2 Paragon Class Caster Level
Elf Cleric / Wizard 1 Cleric 1 Wizard 1 Elf Paragon 1 Clc 1/Wiz 1
2 Cleric 2 Wizard 2 Elf Paragon 2 Clc 2/Wiz 3
Starting Level 3 Cleric 3 Wizard 3 Elf Paragon 3 Clc 3/Wiz 5
4 Cleric 4 Wizard 4 Clc 4/Wiz 6

Abuse for Low Level: Note that certain Racial Paragon Classes give +1 level of (?) Casting. This includes Spells per Day, Spells Known, and Caster Level. This can be abused, but that’s okay, the whole thing is designed to make more powerful beginning characters anyway.

Abuse Example # 1: Level Class Caster Level
Elf Wizard 1 Wizard 1 / Elf Paragon 1 1
2 Fighter 1 / Elf Paragon 2 2 (+1 from Elf Paragon 2)
Starting Level 3 Martial Rogue 1 / Elf paragon 1 3 (+1 from Elf Paragon 3)
4 Wizard 2 4 (+1 from Wizard 2)

Gives the Wizard a bump on BAB and Saves, not to mention Hit Points. The BIG THING is the two bonus Feats thus acquired. All without losing Casting Levels.

Abuse Example # 2: Level Class Caster Level
Elf Conjuror 1 Wizard 1 / Elf Paragon 1 1
2 Wizard 2 / Elf paragon 2 3 (+1 from each class)
Starting Level 3 Wizard 3 / Elf Paragon 3 5 (+1 from each class)
4 Wizard 4 6 (+1 from Wizard)

Paragon Racial Classes Redone: one day I found this thread: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=17630.msg315072#msg315072
I took it to the DM and he approved the use of the new paragon classes. (Hey Thanks Nifft!) Now we can abuse casters a bit more

Abuse Example # 3: Level Class Caster Level
Half Elf … meh … say Bard 1 Bard 1 / Half Elf Para 1 / Human Para 1 1
2 Bard 2 / Half Elf Para 2 / Human Para 2 4
Starting Level 3 Bard 3 / Half Elf Para 3 / Human Para 3 7
4 Bard 4 8
Could have picked druid or wizard and used the human OR elf Paragon Class to get same. ROFLMAO!

You really want to see abuse for a Gestalt Character? ROFLMAO!

As you can See, if ya wanna be a caster boy do I got a world for you, LOL.
as a group we have(and are allowed to use) every 3.0 and 3.5 1st Party (can even chose which version of feat or spell if they are not quite the same, LOL).
Allowed 3rd party and Dragon on case by case basis.

We don't surprise 10 drunk orcs by the campfire, we get surprised by a war party of 50, if ya know what I mean.

I never will figure out haow to keep tabs and stuff when I type in word and port into a forum, Sorry.