PDA

View Full Version : Third eye (magical) (tattoo)?

Foxydono
2016-10-26, 03:31 PM
I would like to carve, implant or otherwise create a third eye somewhere on my body. My forehead being the obvious place. A magical tattoo would be cool too. Any suggestions or ideas on how to do this? And what powers should the third eye give? I am playing 5e edition and the third eye should be equal to a rare or very rare magical item in power.

To give you a little background: My character is a level 10 Sage Astronomer warlock (great old one) / Divination Wizard who wants to learn all about the universe and her secrets (lawful evil). Her patron is The Great Mother, creator of the beholders and her companion is a floating eye.

Ps: advice may be from other d&d editions as well if it can be converted to 5e.

Arkhios
2016-10-27, 06:34 AM
Take Alert feat and fluff it as having received a third eye blessing from your matron.

The Ship's dog
2016-10-27, 11:30 PM
How about this?

Third Eye
This mystical tattoo is imprinted with the very essence of divination magic itself, allowing it's user to see into that which is hidden from mortal eyes.

Benefit:

Once between extended rests, the next time you are surprised you and allies around you in a 15 feet radius can act during the surprise round and all bonuses that your attackers get for stealth are negated.

Special:
To be able to use this ability you must be able to perform divination spells and be level 15. If you are able to use divination spells but aren't level 15 then you must make a DC 15 will saving throw with a disadvantage equal to the combined dexterity modifiers of all creatures trying to surprise you. If you cannot oform divination spells, you cannot use this ability.

Foxydono
2016-10-28, 09:22 AM
@Arkhios: The alert feat would make sense gamewise and my character doesn't have it yet. But I would like something a bit more unqiue. This I can just take as I level up.

@The Ships' Dog: A weapon of warning gives protection against being suprised for the whole party within 30 feet as an uncommon item permanently. You are talking about a once a day ability with a DC with the only benefit that bonuses from stealth are negated. Also this looks a lot like the alert feat, so I'd prefer a more unqiue ability.

I was thinking maybe a sight benefit, but you already get that from the divination school. One of the ideas I came up with is that you can open your third eye once a day to detect the truth of one person for one question with no saving throw allowed as the eye pierces the persons soul and can detect any lies told. Like a zone of truth but limited once a day for one question, but without save.

Or another idea was that that you can cast eyebite with it once a day on one person. Or maybe per short rest. It is quite powerful, but since its limited to one time instead of one minute its usefulness is downgraded quite a bit.

A third idea was to make some kind of illusion with it, but that doesn't really fit the character as it is intrested in the truth of the universe and not in illusions.

Edit: if you think of a beholder eye, then the anti-magic field once a day or maybe once a week would be a nice idea, but this is a bit too powerful at level 10, so I am not sure how I would be able to downgrade it. Maybe you get a magical field around you for 1d4 rounds or something similar.