PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Mighty Beasts and Eldritch Spirits (lots of them - need help with balance)

Yora
2016-10-29, 04:48 AM
I have recently started to look into D&D 5th Edition and it actually looks quite nice and fitting for the campaign I want to start this winter. But for that to work I have to convert my custom monsters that I made for B/X, and with no real 5th Edition experience under my belt I would love if some people could take a look at them and tell me if there's anything particularly off looking about them.

Fortunately, I was able to get about 50 of my 90 creatures done with simple reskins of Monster Manual creatures, in a few cases with just some minor adjustments here and there. That still leaves about 40 monsters I have to build myself over the coming days.

Naga

Medium monstrosity
--
Armor Class 13 (natural armor)
Hit Points 66 (12d8+12)
Speed 30 ft., swim 20 ft.
--
Str 16 (+3), Dex 14 (+2), Con 13 (+1), Int 14 (+2), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 16 (+3)
--
Skills Deception +5, Stealth +4
Damage Resistances cold, fire, lightning, thunder; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft. passive Perception 11
Languages *
Challenge 3 (700 XP)
--
Innate Spellcasting: The naga’s innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13). The naga can innately cast the following spells.
At will: animal friendship (snakes only)
3/day: suggestion
Magic Resistance: The naga has advantage on saving throws and other magical effects.
Read Thoughts: The naga magically reads the surface thoughts of one creature within 60 feet of it. The effect can penetrate barriers, but 3 feet of wood or dirt, 2 feet of stone, 2 inches of metal, or a thin sheet of lead blocks it. While the target is in range, the naga can continue reading its thoughts, as long as the naga's concentration isn't broken (as if concentrating on a spell). While reading the target's mind, the naga has advantage on Wisdom (Insight) and Charisma (Deception, Intimidation, and Persuasion) checks against the target.
--
Actions
Multiattack: The naga makes two ranged attacks or two melee attacks, but can constrict only once.
Bite: Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d4+3) piercing damage plus 7 (2d6) poison damage.
Constrict: Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 10 (2d6+3) bludgeoning damage, and the target is grappled (escape DC 13). Until this grapple ends, the creature is restrained, and the naga can't constrict another target.
Scimitar: Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6+3) slashing damage.
Longbow: Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 150/600 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d8+2) piercing damage.

The naga are a race of serpent spirits with humanoid upper bodies that rule large cities in the jungles of the far south that have been seen by very few outsiders. The naga were the first who learned the secrets of demonic sorcery and ruled over large parts of the world, but much of their magic was lost together with their northern kingdoms. Naga are rarely seen outside their jungle homelands but sometimes travel far and wide to hunt down ancient magic or steal the secrets of mortal sorcerers.

Serpentman

Medium humanoid (serpentman)
--
Hit Points 40 (9d8)
Speed 30 ft.
--
Str 13 (+1), Dex 15 (+2), Con 11 (+0), Int 13 (+1), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 7 (-2)
--
Skills Perception +3, Stealth +4
Senses darkvision 60 ft. passive Perception 13
Languages *
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
--
Magic Resistance: The serpentman has advantage on saving throws and other magical effects.
Surprise Attack: If the serpentman surprises a creature and hits it with an attack during the first round of combat, the target takes an extra 7 (2d6) damage from the attack.
--
Actions
Bite: Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d4+1) piercing damage, and the target must succeed on a DC 10 Constitution saving throw or take 3 (1d6) poison damage.
Scimitar: Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d6+1) slashing damage.
Shortbow: Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d6+1) piercing damage.
Edit: Removed poison arrows.

http://spriggans-den.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/yuanti1.jpg

Serpentmen are a race soldier slaves serving the naga in their armies and are believed to have been created with dark sorcery from captured elves. They are about similar to elves in size and stature but are covered in light green scales and have serpentine eyes. They are made to be perfect servants and have few emotions and always obey orders from their masters to the death.

Marsh Strider

Large beast
--
Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 85 (10d10+30)
Speed 40 ft.
--
Str 19 (+4), Dex 13 (+1), Con 16 (+3), Int 2 (-4), Wis 10 (+1), Cha 3 (-4)
--
Skills Perception +3, Stealth +3
Damage Reductions bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from melee weapons without long reach
Senses passive Perception 13
Languages -
Challenge 4 (1,100 XP)
--
Forest Camouflage: The marsh strider has advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks made while standing among tall narrow trees like aspens or willows.
Surprise Attack: If the marsh strider surprises a creature and hits it with an attack during the first round of combat, the target takes an extra 10 (3d6) damage from the attack.
--
Actions
Multiattack: The marsh strider makes two claw attacks.
Claw: Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d8+4) piercing damage, and the target is grappled (escape DC 13). The marsh strider has two claws, each of which can grapple only one target.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_fIuto9fP6sQ/Rl_Lx79tCQI/AAAAAAAAAAk/b3zx8hzbw0g/s400/Combine_strider.jpg
Like these guys.

Marsh striders are huge spider-like crabs with extremely long legs that raise their bodies 5 or 6 meters above the ground. They ambush their prey by standing motionlessly between tall and narrow trees, their six legs blending with the trunks and their bodies concealed by the foliage. Four of their legs are used for walking, while the front pair ends in sharp spike-like claws used to pin prey to the ground and stab it to death.
The legs of a marsh strider are extremely hard and difficult to damage while the main body is usually far out of reach of any smaller creatures.

Swamp Beast

Huge monstrosity
--
Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
Hit Points 147 (14d12+56)
Speed 10 ft., swim 40 ft.
--
Str 21 (+5), Dex 13 (+1), Con 18 (+4), Int 4 (-3), Wis 10 (+0), Cha 4 (-3)
--
Damage Resistances bludgeoning
Condition Immunities prone
Skills Perception +3, Stealth +5
Senses blindsight 30 ft., passive Perception 13
Languages -
Challenge 8 (3,900 XP)
--
Grasping Tentacles: The swamp beast can attack with up to four tentacles at a time. Each tentacle can be attacked (AC 14; 30 hit points). Destroying a tentacle deals 15 damage to the swamp beast.
Hold Breath: While out of water, the swamp beast can hold its breath for 1 hour.
Water Breathing: The swamp beast can breathe only underwater.
--
Actions
Multiattack: The swamp beast makes four attacks on its turn, which can be any combination of tentacles, Reel, Fling, and bite, but it can only make a bite attack once.
Bite: Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 18 (3d8+5) piercing damage.
Tentacles: Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 30 ft., one creature. Hit: 12 (2d6+5) bludgeoning damage, and the target is grappled (escape DC 16). Until the grapple ends, the target is restrained and has disadvantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws, and the swamp beast can't use the same tentacle on another target.
Fling: One Medium or smaller object held or creature grappled by the swamp beast is thrown up to 30 feet in a random direction and knocked prone. If a thrown target strikes a solid surface, the target takes 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage for every 10 feet it was thrown. If the target is thrown at another creature, that creature must succeed on a DC 16 Dexterity saving throw or take the same damage and be knocked prone.
Reel: The swamp beast pulls each creature grappled by it up to 30 feet straight toward it.
Edit: Changed attacks to only four. Reduced fling distance to 30 ft. and corrected DC to 16.

It's a massive octopus thing that lives in swamps!

I did not plan to make it this big, but combining a giant octopus, roper, and kraken somehow lead up to this and now it seems too cool to size it down. :smallbiggrin:

Flashy
2016-10-29, 06:26 AM
Defensive CR: 5 (bordering on high 4). Effective HP 132 (66*2 for CR 3 monster with tons of resistance), Effective AC 15 (13 AC, +2 for Magic Resistance). HP 132 assigns it (barely) to CR 5. Effective AC 15 correct for CR 5. No further adjustment to defensive CR.

Offensive CR: 5 (bordering on high 4). The multiattack language is confusing but I'm doing this calculation on the assumption that it can make two melee attacks and one constrict attack per round. Best DPR is two bites and a constrict for 34 damage (12 + 12 + 10). No need to average across three rounds. Attack bonus +5. 34 damage per round assigns it (again just barely) to CR 5. Attack bonus +5 is correct for CR 5. No further adjustment to defensive CR.

Combined CR is 5

Random Thoughts: The spellcasting probably doesn't impact CR in any meaningful way. Low AC and heavy reliance on elemental resistances mean that paladin smites will chew this thing up in the first 1-2 rounds. Should be reasonably effective against other things. Was acid resistance left out intentionally?

Defensive CR: 1/2. Effective HP 40 (no adjustment), Effective AC 15 (13 AC, +2 for Magic Resistance). HP 40 firmly assigns it CR 1/4. Effective AC 15 is two higher than expected value of AC 13, adjust up to next level (1/2) to compensate.

Offensive CR: 1 (on the higher end). Average of first three rounds is 18 + 11 + 11 = 40/3 = 13 DPR. Attack bonus +4. 13 damage per round assigns it CR 1. Attack bonus +4 is one higher than expected attack bonus of +3, no adjustment required.

Combined CR is 1 (This could arguably be either CR 1/2 or CR 1, I favored rounding up here)

Random Thoughts: These are really nasty at range, especially from ambush. That's probably going to be nice and thematic, but they're basically useless in melee (1d6+1 is peanuts on a CR 1 monster). I would either beef up the poison damage on the bite or throw the arrow's poison damage on the scimitar if I wanted these to be an effective opponent in a variety of circumstances. It will not impact CR since 5e assumes monsters are always choosing their highest damage option.

Defensive CR: 4. Effective HP 128 (85 * 1.5 for multiple resistances at CR 4), Effective AC 15 (no adjustment). HP 128 is in the CR 4 range. Effective AC 15 is one higher than expected value of AC 14, but this requires no adjustment.

Offensive CR: 4. Average of first three rounds is 36 + 26 + 26 = 88/3 = 29 DPR. Attack bonus +6. 29 damage per round assigns it CR 4. Attack bonus +6 is one higher than expected attack bonus of +5, no adjustment required. The saving throw DC on the grapple should be 14 (both because that's the value given in the DMG for CR 4 and because 8 + 2 proficiency + 4 strength mod = 14).

Combined CR is 4

Random Thoughts: I looooooove the idea of resistance to physical damage without the reach property and am definitely going to steal it. Is it intentional that the damage resistance also isn't overcome by magic weapons? That would be highly unusual for 5e.

Defensive CR: Between 6 and 11 depending how many tentacles the players kill. Effective HP 147 (no adjustment), Effective AC 14 (no adjustment). HP 147 is barely in the CR 6 range. Effective AC 14 for CR 6 is one lower than expected value of AC 15, requiring no adjustment. However, it would be reasonable to add a pool of hitpoints to represent the additional tentacles. If the players destroy all six before they kill the creature that's essentially added 90 HP for a total of 237. 237 is right on the lower end of CR 12, but AC 14 compared to an expected AC of 17 for CR 12 adjusts it down to 11. This leaves a sort of nasty range of possible CRs depending largely on how the players fight it.

Offensive CR: I'm calling it 12 but this is really, really hard to assign. There isn't really a great analog for Fling (I'm assuming that one character takes 4d6 damage a round), nor am I aware of any other monsters which can mega-super-grapple six players at once. This statblock is rolling save or suck against the entire group multiple times a round, an ethos 5e tends to avoid.

Basically, the added disadvantage on strength checks means that restrained strength based characters won't have any meaningful escape options. They'd normally break a grapple with an athletics check, but since that's strength based they have to make the check at disadvantage. They could try to cut their way free, but the restrained condition means they're making attack rolls at disadvantage. They could try to escape on a dex check, but if they dumped that it might be worse than the disadvantaged athletics roll. This is especially bad since the restrained condition is also giving the swamp beast advantage on its ~5 attacks against the player every turn. I'd really advise taking the added riders off the grapple since the restrained condition is already pretty awful on its own and the swamp beast gets up to four grapple attempts per round.

Damage is 4*12 (tentacles) + 18 (bite) + 12 (40' fling to one character) = 78 DPR. Attack bonus is +8. 78 DPR pegs the statblock at CR 12. Attack bonus +8 is the expected modifier for CR 12.

Combined CR is 8-12 (Average of 6 and 12 through average of 11 and 12)

Random Thoughts:

Multiattack: The swamp beast makes four attacks with its tentacles

Grasping Tentacles: The swamp beast can attack with up to six tentacles at a time.
These two lines appear to be inconsistent.

I like the creature in general, but those ultra-grapples are going to make fights (particularly against small parties) incredibly swingy.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-10-29, 06:41 AM
I generally agree with Flashy here, except for:

The multiattack language is confusing but I'm doing this calculation on the assumption that it can make two melee attacks and one constrict attack per round.

I don't know. The intention seems clear: it can make two melee attacks, one of which may be a constrict. This brings its CR back to 4 by my calculations.

Random Thoughts:

These two lines appear to be inconsistent.

To me, the idea is that it can attack with any four of its six tentacles. Since it can't use a tentacle to attack if it's already grappling someone with it, it may well need to bring its two 'spare' tentacles into play on the second turn. Saying it can use "six tentacles at a time" means that it can be grappling/reeling/flinging with two and attacking with four at the same time; it just can't make more than four 'tentacle attacks'. It could probably be phrased better, but I don't think it's an outright mistake.

Yora
2016-10-29, 07:43 AM
Naga: I added the resistances only later and forgot to adjust the CR accordingly. Cold, fire, lightning, thunder are because all creatures of the Spiritworld are adapted to survive in its extreme weather. Acid isn't weather, so they have no special resistance against it. CR 4 for naga would be good. Maybe reduce HD a bit?

Serpentmen: The poison arrows were copy pasted from another creature. I actually don't want them as primary archer, so I'll just drop the poison. That should make them more in line with CR 1/2.

Marsh Strider: The idea is that the legs have damage reduction against weapons, but the main body does not. They are very strong and have no vital organs. Perhaps I change the Damage Reductions entry to simply stating that the resistance applies only to attacks against the legs.

Swamp Beast: This monster really was just pieces stuck together with no real idea what I was doing. :smallbiggrin: Being big and scary is fine, but I'd rather have it down to a clear CR 7 or 8.
The idea with the tentacles was that it can make four attacks per round but hold six creatures at the same time. Which might indeed be a bit needlesly complex. I think having four attacks per round is probably enough, which can be any combination of constrict, reel, bite, and fling, but it can only make one bite per round.
Fling is clearly superior to constrict, so I think I limit it's range to 30 ft and the damage from it to 3d6.

Flashy
2016-10-29, 03:12 PM
Naga: I added the resistances only later and forgot to adjust the CR accordingly. Cold, fire, lightning, thunder are because all creatures of the Spiritworld are adapted to survive in its extreme weather. Acid isn't weather, so they have no special resistance against it. CR 4 for naga would be good. Maybe reduce HD a bit?

If you reduce the HP to 55 and change its multiattack so that it makes the constrict and either two scimitar attacks or one bite attack then I think it should be pretty firmly CR 3.

Marsh Strider: The idea is that the legs have damage reduction against weapons, but the main body does not. They are very strong and have no vital organs. Perhaps I change the Damage Reductions entry to simply stating that the resistance applies only to attacks against the legs.

I actually think it's perfectly reasonable as is, I was just checking about the magic weapons.

Swamp Beast: This monster really was just pieces stuck together with no real idea what I was doing. :smallbiggrin: Being big and scary is fine, but I'd rather have it down to a clear CR 7 or 8.
The idea with the tentacles was that it can make four attacks per round but hold six creatures at the same time. Which might indeed be a bit needlesly complex. I think having four attacks per round is probably enough, which can be any combination of constrict, reel, bite, and fling, but it can only make one bite per round.
Fling is clearly superior to constrict, so I think I limit it's range to 30 ft and the damage from it to 3d6.

The number of attacks makes sense, I just wanted to double check. It's a good monster, but if you want to get it down to CR 7-8 you're going to need to find some combination of changes that drops its DPR from the current 78 to 45-56.

Various correct interpretations of ability entries

You're totally right, and tbh I probably should just have read a little more thoughtfully.

Yora
2016-11-04, 03:12 PM
Crow Lord

Medium fey
--
Armor Class 13
Hit Points 55 (10d8+10)
Speed 40 ft., fly 50 ft.
--
Str 15 (+2), Dex 16 (+3), Con 13 (+1), Int 12 (+1), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 13 (+1)
--
Skills Perception +6
Damage Resistances cold, fire, lightning, thunder; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Senses darkvision 60 ft. passive Perception 16
Languages *
Challenge 3 (700 XP)
--
False Appearance: While the crow lord remains in swarm form, it is indistinguishable from an ordinary swarm of crows.
Magic Resistance: The crow lord has advantage on saving throws and other magical effects.
Shapechanger: The crow lord can use its action to polymorph into a swarm of crows or back into its true form, which is humanoid. As a swarm, it can occupy another creature's space and vice versa, and the swarm can move through any opening large enough for a Tiny raven. The swarm can't regain hit points or gain temporary hit points.
Surprise Attack: If the crow lord surprises a creature and hits it with an attack during the first round of combat, the target takes an extra 7 (2d6) damage from the attack.
--
Actions
Multiattack: The crow lord makes two claw attacks or two sword attacks.
Claws: Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4+2) slashing damage.
Short Sword: Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6+2) slashing damage.

A crow lord is a humanoid spirit usually clad in a loose gray tunic with a dark hood and long wide sleeves that attacks either with its talon like clawd hands or two short blades. It can turn into a swarm of crows in an instant to fly and spy on its prey undetected. It can not attack in the form of a swarm but will often try to get behind a target and revert to its humanoid form to ambush it from a new direction. Crow lords rarely talk with mortals and tend to attack without asking questions but are sometimes working for more powerful spirits as bodyguards or assassins.

This one turned out to be suprisingly easy to convert to 5th edition. There's not really any special rules for swarms, so the shapeshifting simply means it can no longer use its attacks and gains a fly speed. I think it might be cool to have some ability to distract enemies by harrassing them as a swarm, but don't have any good idea for a mechanic of that type yet.

Greenbeast

Large fey
--
Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 136 (16d10+48)
Speed 30 ft.
--
Str 18 (+4), Dex 8 (-1), Con 16 (+3), Int 5 (-3), Wis 10 (+0), Cha 7 (-2)
--
Skills Stealth +2
Senses blindsight 20 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages *
Challenge 7 (2,900 XP)
--
Actions
Multiattack: The greenbeast makes two claw attacks. If both attacks hit a Medium or smaller target, the target is grappled (escape DC 14), and the greenbeast uses its Engulf on it.
Claw: Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d8+4) slashing damage.
Engulf: The greenbeast engulfs a Medium or smaller creature grappled by it by entangling it with the vines of its claw. The engulfed target is blinded, restrained, and unable to breathe, and it must succeed on a DC 14 Constitution saving throw at the start of each of the mound's turns or take 13 (2d8+4) bludgeoning damage. When the greenbeast moves all engulfed creatures are released.

A greenbeast is a large plant spirit roughly similar in shape and size to a huge bear or lion. It consits entirely of intervined briars and thorny branches. Greenbeasts are relatively rare and often serve as guardian beasts for powerful gods of the land.

Spriggan

Medium fey
--
Hit Points 52 (8d8+16)
Speed 30 ft.
--
Str 14 (+2), Dex 15 (+2), Con 14 (+2), Int 11 (+0), Wis 15 (+2), Cha 12 (+1)
--
Skills Perception +4, Stealth +6
Damage Resistances cold, fire, lightning, thunder; slashing from nonmagical attacks; bludgeoning, piercing
Senses darkvision 60 ft. passive Perception 14
Languages *
Challenge 3 (700 XP)
--
Innate Spellcasting: The spriggan's innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 11). The spriggan can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
At will: animal friendship, druidcraft
3/day each: entangle, pass without trace
Magic Resistance: The spriggan has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
Speak with Beasts and Plants: The spriggan can communicate with beasts and plants as if they shared a language.
Tree Stride: Once on its turn, the spriggan can use 10 feet of its movement to step magically into one living tree within its reach and emerge from a second living tree within 60 feet of the first tree, appearing in an unoccupied space within 5 feet of the second tree. Both trees must be Large or bigger.
--
Actions
Multiattack: The spriggan makes two claw attacks.
Claws: Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (2d4+2) slashing damage.
Fey Charm: The spriggan targets one beast that it can see within 30 feet of it. If the target can see the spriggan, it must succeed on a DC 11 Wisdom saving throw or be magically charmed. The charmed creature regards the spriggan as a trusted friend to be heeded and protected. Although the target isn't under the spriggan's control, it takes the spriggan's requests or actions in the most favorable way it can.
Each time the spriggan or its allies do anything harmful to the target, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success. Otherwise, the effect lasts 24 hours or until the spriggan dies, is on a different plane of existence from the target, or ends the effect as a bonus action. If a target's saving throw is successful, the target is immune to the spriggan's Fey Charm for the next 24 hours.
The spriggan can have no more than six beasts charmed at a time.

Spriggans are humanoid forest spirits looking like an androgynous figure made from branches and leaves. They guard their chosen territory against intruders and often rely on several dangerous beasts to protect them in battle. Spriggans don't usually speak and show no emotions but many are willing to listen to what people say to them when confronted before attacking. While dangerous and very agressive in a fight, they are not heartless or cruel and often permit people to pass through their territory, especially when lost. Those who hunt or start logging or mining on their land are attacked relentlessly by animals and the spriggan's spells until they have been cleared from the territory.