PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Geomancer (Rough Draft) (PEACH)

PapaQuackers
2016-10-30, 07:43 PM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qV06xGTM-mr4ZQyakgjFapTqWaLZK7E-KXuhig_LSv0/pub

This is my first attempt at making a half caster for 5e. As such I've only made the first 5 level to get some feedback before I proceed.

My goal with this home brew was to make a class that is heavily dependent on his environment. A class that has to be thoughtful about his terrain, and judicious with his application of his abilities for fear of exhausting them too quickly.

I used a Paladin shell because I think a Geomancer is less of a wizardy type and more of a hardy fighter with some spell casting built in.

I may add more terrain based effects if I can think of more terrain, if you have any suggestions let me know.

Jama7301
2016-10-30, 08:07 PM
Correct me if I'm misreading this, but does the Geomancy channel time change depending on the area around you which you pull from? The only benefit of decreasing the size of the affected area is so you can pull from another square that's closer, since you can't draw from the same terrain twice.

Hm.

Upon rereading, I think I may get it. It looks like it's a one-off use per-terrain 'chunk'. I had misread it and was thinking it was a more continuous effect as you channeled in that area. My mistake

What happens if more than one terrain type is drawn within that 30 foot radius? Like, soil and a river, or Grassland and stone? Does it take the effect of whatever possesses the highest percentage of space in your channeled area?

PapaQuackers
2016-10-30, 08:16 PM
I also realized that very same problem when I was creating the ability. I've yet to find a way to reconcile it in a way that I've found appropriate yet though.

I'm caught between having the terrain stop being channeled when a new terrain starts, or having the effect fail if you don't have sufficient space.

What do you think would be more appropriate?

Jama7301
2016-10-30, 08:24 PM
Have you considered a generic typed environment to cover these situations? Something that still has an effect, but doesn't outright fizzle if you're unable to channel a single land type. Maybe something that does a slow effect or reduces speed, due to the mixed nature of the terrain?

So what I was thinking was roughly 1d8 damage, target needs to made a Dexterity saving throw, and if they fail, they're slowed for a turn. Reduced damage for not properly minding your terrain, but not completely useless if you mis-judge your surrounding.

PapaQuackers
2016-10-30, 08:56 PM
I've added an untyped terrain effect as per your suggestion.

Do you have any thoughts on the specific Geomancing abilities? Or the fighting style/ spell list?

I'd love to hear any specific thoughts you have on them.

Grayfigure
2016-10-30, 10:17 PM
I love the idea and most of the implementation. I do have a few observations I'd like to share. To make it understood, all of the Geomancers I know of are from the Final Fantasy Series, and so most of my ideas are aimed in that general direction.

1) Geomancers seemed to be more inline with lightly armored fighters that could, at need, pick up a shield and use for extra defence, but little/no armor, really. Maybe instead of access to armors, perhaps a unique skill that lets them use a combination of Unarmored defense (WIS based), and shields?

2) More of a unique flair than a needed change, but you could give them a proficiency in axes/battleaxes instead of Martial Weapons, while keeping the proficiency in simple melee?

3) Initially I thought that the Geomancy was too powerful, but then I realized that I, too, fell into the trap of thinking you could fire them off every round (lol). Looking at it with a different eye, I like the mechanic of restricting to patches of ground thats 'used up' for a 1 day period. That said, even with the ground restriction, perhaps you can ease up on the spellcasting choices available, as you can get a lot of utility out of Geomancy with a few rewrites. Maybe give them defensive/buff spells until later spell levels?

These are just a few ideas that came to mind when I was reading through. Feel free to use any, all, or no ideas. Im a decent sized Final Fantasy nut, so any class/subclass that touches upon them really gets me going. Great job!

Jama7301
2016-10-30, 11:08 PM
his makes me want to pick up the FFXI inspired Dragoon I had started again.

Back on topic.

You mention using Geomancy with your armor as well as weapons with Elemental Knight. Are the defensive abilities for higher level Elemental Knights? Do you also want the untyped terrain to have an effect here?

For Weather control, same question, but this time for terrain control.

These aren't things that are required to be changed or added, just questions I'm having as I look through this.

Grayfigure
2016-10-30, 11:12 PM
his makes me want to pick up the FFXI inspired Dragoon I had started again.

*Points at my Sig* :biggrin:

PapaQuackers
2016-10-30, 11:19 PM
The armor abilities would be coming later.

Untyped will be added to the EK list.

I dont think weather master needs untyped. There should never be a situation with no weather.

Thanks for the feedback. Ill keep plugging along but more suggestions are welcomed.

Jama7301
2016-10-30, 11:26 PM
I should have clarified my question about the Weather Control path.

It mentions that you control the weather and terrain. Is there any way you can use that to create/clear difficult terrain or provide any other tactical benefits, or were those planned for later as well?

PapaQuackers
2016-10-30, 11:41 PM
At later levels you'll be able to transmute weather and terrain.

Jama7301
2016-10-30, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the clarification!

I think there's a good frame here. I'll be keeping an eye on how this progresses

Artagon
2016-10-31, 12:45 PM
With Geomancy, rather than worrying about having multiple terrain types in the area, why don't you just leave the type for the 5' area you are standing on? Sure, there's a river 10 ft away.. but you're standing on concrete. As such, the energy flows from the land around you, swirling through the ground.. and comes up through the soles of your feet, interpreted by the ground you are in contact with.

Also, I understand using the 'square' terminology, especially given that Geomancer comes from FF Tactics, but I'd steer away from that, instead using the 5 ft terminology.. for those of us that like to use the theater of the mind rather than maps.

Terrain Blade is confusing to me. I'd suggest re-wording it to clarify exactly what it does. Is it allowing you to select a different terrain type? Or is it referring to all the abilities that follow it? If so, you may want to add some formatting to make that clear.

Another thought that occurs to me.. What if your bonus spells are dependent on your terrain you are in? By this I am referring to how the different paladin sub-classes all get bonus spells.. what if the bonus spell list was just pulled from the various Land circles? This could be a pretty powerful advantage, giving you appropriate options no matter where you are in the world. While in a forest, I'd have Forest circle spells.. while in Desert, I'd have desert circle spells, etc..

PapaQuackers
2016-10-31, 08:49 PM
With Geomancy, rather than worrying about having multiple terrain types in the area, why don't you just leave the type for the 5' area you are standing on? Sure, there's a river 10 ft away.. but you're standing on concrete. As such, the energy flows from the land around you, swirling through the ground.. and comes up through the soles of your feet, interpreted by the ground you are in contact with.

Also, I understand using the 'square' terminology, especially given that Geomancer comes from FF Tactics, but I'd steer away from that, instead using the 5 ft terminology.. for those of us that like to use the theater of the mind rather than maps.

Terrain Blade is confusing to me. I'd suggest re-wording it to clarify exactly what it does. Is it allowing you to select a different terrain type? Or is it referring to all the abilities that follow it? If so, you may want to add some formatting to make that clear.

Another thought that occurs to me.. What if your bonus spells are dependent on your terrain you are in? By this I am referring to how the different paladin sub-classes all get bonus spells.. what if the bonus spell list was just pulled from the various Land circles? This could be a pretty powerful advantage, giving you appropriate options no matter where you are in the world. While in a forest, I'd have Forest circle spells.. while in Desert, I'd have desert circle spells, etc..

The square terminology is pretty common D&D stuff. It's even used in the PHB iirc. I'll switch it up in the final draft if it becomes too constricting though.

As for terrain blade, which part specifically is confusing you? It basically allows you to forgo the Geomancy effect listed in the class feature Geomancy for the one for the EK.

Bonus spells based on terrain sounds pretty awesome, I have a really tough time judging the power of spell lists though. Like I said, this is my first attempt at making a caster. I usually stick with Fighters and Monks.

Thanks for the feedback.

EDIT: I've finished all the abilities of the base class. I'm not exactly 100% happy with them, but I think they're serviceable until I get struck with some more profound inspiration.

PapaQuackers
2016-11-02, 02:53 PM
I've finished the rough drafts of all the archetypes and the base class and I've over hauled the Geomancy ability a bit to offer some utility should you choose.

Thoughts and critiques would be much appreciated!

Grayfigure
2016-11-02, 08:58 PM
Looks pretty good. The only thing I saw that gives me pause is Alter Terrain. I believe it needs a resource limit, otherwise you need never have to worry about not having your favorite terrain ever again after level 6. I think it should be limited, though not too terribly. Perhaps number of casts equal to your WIS modifier, with the number doubling or receiving a second modifier at a higher level. It's an interesting mechanic, and I don't think it should be completely negated.

Edit: 11/2/16 - Apparently I can't read very well, because i didn't see that you already had a limiter in place. Looks great like that!