PDA

View Full Version : Draft pantheon for a low magic world..?

Psikerlord
2016-11-05, 07:19 PM
Hi all, I am writing a "sandbox setting" and am hoping for a bit of feedback on the following draft pantheon for a low magic world... This would be for the "western medieval" or "ancient" type culture in the middle of the region map. Note the existence of the gods would be subject to speculation, so more like GoT than FR for example (technically it is for the Low Fantasy Gaming RPG, which has no cleric class, so I havent included spells etc re 5e).

Argona
Argona is the goddess of health, wealth, happiness and hope. In addition, she is venerated as a fierce protector of families, especially children, elderly and the vulnerable. She is typically depicted as a beautiful, raven haired woman with a trail of stars in lieu of legs.

Common Phrases: Argona protects. Starmaiden keep you. Four blessings upon you and yours.

Common Icons: A star or stars. A shield with a star motif.

Baal
Baal is the god of decay, suffering, disease and death. His name is uttered only at funerals or to ward off his unwanted attention. Baal is usually portrayed as a leering skull, fetid ooze or animated bones.

Common Phrases: Men are the true plague. Bones and dust, blood and rust. Baal’s Balls!

Common Icons: a skull, tombstone or ooze.

Fenrir
Fenrir is the god of skill, luck and fate. His name is invoked in times of contest, danger and blind fortune. He is most often depicted as a quicksilver wolf, a pair of dice with sixes on all sides, or a shooting star.

Common Phrases: Fenrir’s luck! The silver wolf is with ye. Fangs of fate!

Common Icons: Dire wolf. Pair of dice. An animal tooth.

Graxus
Graxus is the god of war, courage, struggle and glory. He is called upon in times of conflict and strife, either to draw his attention or deflect it. He
is most often depicted as a juggernaut of destruction; a towering half man, half iron fusing of steel and flesh.

Common Phrases: By blood or blade! Victory and death! The iron god cometh!

Common Icons: Anvil and skull. Crossed blades with a central eye.

Shennog
Shennog is the goddess of darkness, deceit and madness. She is called upon in times of treachery, despair and clandestine activity. Most descriptions of Shennog suggest a formless shadow, a broken mirror or a giant spider.

Common Phrases: The darkest corners conceal the greatest secrets. Reject the mundane and embrace revelation.

Common Icons: Black circle with a slender crescent moon. Giant spider or webs. Cracked mirror.

Soliri
Soliri is the goddess of the sun, weather, nature and creation. She is called upon to bless harvests, encourage fertility and to ward off darkness or ferocious beasts. She is commonly depicted as a female faced sun, a swarm of leaves, or a giant world tree.

Common Phrases: The World Tree provides. Mankind is also a force of nature. Burn back the shadow!

Common Icons: Flaring sun, a stylized leaf or a colossal tree with great roots.

Wodon
Wodon is the god of knowledge, wisdom and justice, beseeched when seeking information, insight and truth. He or she (sex uncertain and used interchangeably) is portrayed as a giant owl, or a wizened human with two heads, one male and one female, leaning on a staff or stack of tomes.

Common Phrases: Wodon guide you. Knowledge begets power. To understand is to grow. Vengeance is a pit, justice a door.

Common Icons: A tome, dual faced coin, or a giant owl with a set of scales.

Koo Rehtorb
2016-11-05, 07:35 PM
Do you feel that fertility/growth are sufficiently covered? Because that's a big one.

Psikerlord
2016-11-05, 09:16 PM
Do you feel that fertility/growth are sufficiently covered? Because that's a big one.

Hmm good observation. Soliri is supposed to cover nature/creation, but I didnt think about fertility/growth specifically- but yeah I think you're right - I will update Soliri's description! Good one thanks Koo Rehtorb.