PDA

View Full Version : MITD THEORY!!!! Its probably wrong but hey-ho.

TheAlmightyOne
2007-07-13, 01:40 PM
Notice in 474, how the plate he holds, hovers just on the edge of the darkness without any means of visable support. Now who do we know that is psycic or psyonic or psykick or however the hell its spelt, and has to hide itself away for genre conventions and personal safty. Yes people, I put it to you, that the monster who resides in the magical darkness cast by a pink umbrella, is none other than.........the squid-thingy! Hes back baby!

Nomadic
2007-07-13, 01:42 PM
Or it could be as I proposed, that he can cast mage hand. :smalltongue:

Parasocrates
2007-07-13, 01:47 PM
Or it could be as I proposed, that he can cast mage hand. :smalltongue:

You're no fun at all.:smallannoyed:

Rinquist
2007-07-13, 02:16 PM
That's the standard rule of these forums. If you post something fun and worth speculating and/or discussing, the very next person to post will take the wind out of your sails! :smalltongue:

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-13, 02:17 PM
I think we just can't see his hand, cuz it was in the darkness. We've never seen his hands. But he COULD have been using psionics. We'll never know. :smalleek:

Oberon
2007-07-13, 02:30 PM
We might find out evetually (like, 400 strips from now or more)

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-13, 02:42 PM

Somebody theorized that it had tattoos revealing V's gender, Sabine's race, Miko's alignment, and all that kind of stuff. Which is why it's so important to keep it hidden.

Haedrian
2007-07-13, 04:30 PM

Or it might just spontaneously die and no-one will ever get to know what it is?

Nomadic
2007-07-13, 04:36 PM
Or he will throw down the umbrella and go aha! now you cant stop me anymore...only to realize that he is still in the darkness because he is the darkness.

I cast magic missile at the darkness

*runs away from pitchfork wielding mob*

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-07-13, 04:38 PM
He has hands, you just can't see them! Black stick hands against a black background, hidden in shadows of a "Hello Goblin" parasol? The spot is a DC 35 check, but if you roll high enough, you just might see it.

SteveDJ
2007-07-13, 04:41 PM
Maybe he is just... Invisible! :smallbiggrin:

squidthingy
2007-07-13, 05:16 PM
Maybe he is just... Invisible! :smallbiggrin:

That's probaly going to be what's going to happen, MitD will finally come out of the darkness only to have Redcloak cast invisiblility in the next panel so we never so anything

Vondre
2007-07-13, 05:44 PM
Or he will throw down the umbrella and go aha! now you cant stop me anymore...only to realize that he is still in the darkness because he is the darkness.

Dude! That's completely right!

Think about it... if the MITD is the very embodiment of darkeness, then the odds of being eaten by a grue while enveloped by the MITD are nearly 1:1! That's why he's so powerful... he need only walk into someone to kill them. :smalleek:

*You are enveloped in the embodiment of dark. You will be eaten by a grue in three seconds.*

Seeker
2007-07-13, 08:00 PM
You are in a nondescript Dungeon of Dorukan of nodecript size. Exits are left and right. You are likely to be killed and in turn re-animated by an evil lich.

go left

As you take a turn an evil lich casts Disintegrate. You are dead! Well, erhm.. Kinda I guess.. More like... Undead I guess..

Load
Restart
Quit

:smallbiggrin:

Lord_Butters_I
2007-07-13, 08:21 PM
This makes me feel very ignorent, but how are grue related to darkness? I thought they were just elementals that happened to be evil.

Seeker
2007-07-13, 08:23 PM
In Zork, if your lantern goes out then the Grues will getcha after a while, so darkness is needed.

Nomadic
2007-07-13, 08:58 PM

Think about it... if the MITD is the very embodiment of darkeness, then the odds of being eaten by a grue while enveloped by the MITD are nearly 1:1! That's why he's so powerful... he need only walk into someone to kill them. :smalleek:

*You are enveloped in the embodiment of dark. You will be eaten by a grue in three seconds.*

that is so awesome that I am putting it in my signature...oh and you get 10 points...you can turn them in for a cookie, a brownie, or a grue*

*note that if you pick the grue it's liable to eat you in the next 3 seconds

Maerok
2007-07-13, 09:05 PM
Schrodinger's Ultimate Secret Monster: It is every monster possible until revealed. :smallbiggrin:

Miraqariftsky
2007-07-13, 09:08 PM
I think we just can't see his hand, cuz it was in the darkness. We've never seen his hands. But he COULD have been using psionics. We'll never know. :smalleek:

Remember the "fight" with Miko back in the watchtower? Isn't there some sort of huge-level power/spell that can push entities that hard? Bah, or maybe it's just an enormous Str score?

Or whatif the MitD just sneezed at her?

Ha-ha.

Admiral_Kelly
2007-07-13, 11:04 PM
Artistic-license.

Mystery solved.

dragoncmd
2007-07-13, 11:43 PM

I AM GALSTAFF SORCERER OF LIGHT!

WHERE'S THE CHEETOS?

Ithekro
2007-07-13, 11:53 PM
I thought Galstaff was helping Frudu in his quest to destroy the Ming?

Miraqariftsky
2007-07-14, 12:19 AM
Artistic-license.

Mystery solved.

Ga-haha!

Well done, ol' chap.

Icewalker
2007-07-14, 02:29 AM
You know, I bet in the end something happens to him before it's revealed to us.

I'd guess it's just that his hand is concealed by shadow. Nothing special there.

mkill
2007-07-14, 02:39 AM
It's so obvious what the Monster in the Dark is. C'mon. It has to remain in darkness even though the sun shines, it acts like a 7-year old girl, it even has a pink umbrella with little vampires on it.

So what, it's a 7 year old girl that was turned into a vampire.

The question remains why she's hanging out with Xykon. Maybe he's her daddy.

Jher'c Kelborn
2007-07-14, 04:08 AM
It's so obvious what the Monster in the Dark is. C'mon. It has to remain in darkness even though the sun shines, it acts like a 7-year old girl, it even has a pink umbrella with little vampires on it.

So what, it's a 7 year old girl that was turned into a vampire.

The question remains why she's hanging out with Xykon. Maybe he's her daddy.

*POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T READ START OF DARKNESS*

Hey I just realised:
As has been suggested in another thread about the possibility of another Greenhilt child, what if the third Greenhilt child is a seven-year old girl-vampire hiding under a certain "Hello Goblin" umbrella! In other words, it's Roy's undead little sister!
Would that not be a real hoot, if true?

Jher'c Kelborn
2007-07-14, 04:16 AM
Somebody theorized that it had tattoos revealing V's gender, Sabine's race, Miko's alignment, and all that kind of stuff. Which is why it's so important to keep it hidden.

Almost sounds like a certain someone from the computer-game Planecsape: Torment...

I'm speaking about The Nameless One!

Closet_Skeleton
2007-07-14, 06:27 AM
As you take a turn an evil lich casts Disintegrate. You are dead! Well, erhm.. Kinda I guess.. More like... Undead I guess..

How can you get animated if you're disintegrated?

Oh, wraiths, yeah...

Fenix
2007-07-14, 07:11 AM
MitD is an umber hulk (remember De Arnise keep in Baldurs gate 2 ? :smallbiggrin: )

Blayze
2007-07-14, 07:36 AM
I'd rather not. Then again, a single cast of Cloudkill would easily take care of the problem. Given the MitD's "Force Scream" ability, could we assume it's a psionic of some sort? That looked like it might have been a psionic effect.

Dusk_Rider
2007-07-14, 09:27 AM

What the heck is a grue??? I keep on hearing it mentioned, but I don't know what it is!

Tirian
2007-07-14, 09:49 AM
What the heck is a grue??? I keep on hearing it mentioned, but I don't know what it is!

In the Zork series of text adventure games back in the 80's, grues were the hack that kept you from exploring the dungeon without a light source. Nobody had ever seen one because they couldn't stand the light, but if you ever went into the dark, they would kill you pretty much instantly.

As the Infocom games expanded and they continued the device, eventually you gained the limited ability to survive grue attacks, see them, fight them, even become one for a while.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-07-14, 09:52 AM

WAY back in the day, there was a game called Zork, which was one of the first (and many say best) Text Based adventure games. The computer would tell you what you saw, and you would type in what you wanted to do.

When you end up under the house (near the mailbox), you are told "It is dark, you are likely to be eaten by a grue." If you type: What's a grue? the game gives you some sort of answer (I forget now). When you turn on your lantern, you hear something running away.

There used to be an online version, let me see if I can find it. I'll add a link.

Edit: Found it (wow, that was fast!)
http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/

Prepare to waste your entire afternoon... I know I certianly wasted many of mine!

Arnen
2007-07-14, 10:27 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elemental_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29#Elemental_Gru es

In D&D terms, grues are basically elementals made from corrupt materials.

The seven-year-old vampire girl thing scares me. :smalleek: *rocks back and forth muttering about Lestat and kitchen knives*

Magioth
2007-07-14, 10:54 AM
maybe its a piece of the snarl.

would you say the MitD is a girl or a boy?

I'm da Rogue!
2007-07-14, 11:51 AM
I don't know, but if it loses its pink umbrella, nothing will be the same again for me... :smallfrown:

Wolfman42666
2007-07-14, 12:12 PM
Okay, here's my two copper pieces:
1) No offence to any and all who think *it's* a she, personally I think *it's* male.
Since way back when *it* first got the pink kitty umbrella, *it* was all "shoot" and the roach was all "ha", and really the only time I laugh at someone like that is when its embarrassing for them:smalltongue:
And it doesn't seem like the kind of thing that would embarrass a girl, no offence to anyone it would embarrass.

2) The amount of times I've read a theory or speculation in this forum, only for it to be proven wrong in the next comic, can't be calculated.
Seriously it happens all the time, so either Rich reads the forums (and changes things accordingly, cough":vaarsuvius: " cough) or he's a future psychic.
So speculation is fun, but unlikely to be proven right.

3) Whatever the monster in the dark *is* I propose that its species either:
A) Metamorphosis’s i.e. a butterfly or
B) Doesn't have a child stage in its existence, (thus explaining both its physical might, and child-like mentality)
Either option has grave meaning. The heroes graves that is.:smallbiggrin:

Gravedjinn
2007-07-14, 12:31 PM
MiTD is not a CHILD!!!!!!!!

omg people any of you honestly beleive that MitD is a child are just well young....

Ask a parent any parent.... that is not a child ... if Mitd can shout with the amount of force that he portrayed in this latest comic then not even xykon would be able to control him.
if that a child then ITS first temper tantrum would be the final grave for anything in the vicinity ... includeing redcloak and xykon.

now i can see every parent here going yup and every non-parent wanting to arguee more.

Snipers_Promise
2007-07-14, 12:33 PM
Its a gelatanious cube.

sealemon
2007-07-14, 01:23 PM
Parent of two chiming in: It could very well be a child. A child who only listens to his/her "parents"; Xycon and Redcloak.

Plz reference Franklin Richards.

Nomadic
2007-07-14, 01:34 PM
Parent of two chiming in: It could very well be a child. A child who only listens to his/her "parents"; Xycon and Redcloak.

Plz reference Franklin Richards.

Yes I was thinking about that too. How could a child so powerful obey xykon (even though he is at least a nigh-epic lich). The answer of course being that the child doesn't mind obeying them. It probably reveals a bit about why it doesn't mind obeying them in SoD.

I'm da Rogue!
2007-07-14, 04:39 PM
MiTD is not a CHILD!!!!!!!!

omg people any of you honestly beleive that MitD is a child are just well young....

Ask a parent any parent.... that is not a child ... if Mitd can shout with the amount of force that he portrayed in this latest comic then not even xykon would be able to control him.
if that a child then ITS first temper tantrum would be the final grave for anything in the vicinity ... includeing redcloak and xykon.

now i can see every parent here going yup and every non-parent wanting to arguee more.
Well according to the new strip, Haley thinks it's a child. And I trust Haley's ability to sense and judge.
And in #117, Xykon calls it "kid". And it behaves like a kid, who wants a surprise with its meal..
Tea and cookies? Come on!
If not a kid, then a kid in mind,definitely.
MIDT, Elan and Banjo would be great friends.

Bisected8
2007-07-14, 05:01 PM
You are in a nondescript Dungeon of Dorukan of nodecript size. Exits are left and right. You are likely to be killed and in turn re-animated by an evil lich.

go left

Load
Restart
Quit

:smallbiggrin:

Can the zombie template be applied to a pile of smouldering ash?

Nomadic
2007-07-14, 05:08 PM
Can the zombie template be applied to a pile of smouldering ash?

Ash does not smolder, nor can he become a zombie, he simply whips out his boomstick and chainsaw and shreds the shambling legions

Bisected8
2007-07-14, 05:31 PM
Ash does not smolder, nor can he become a zombie, he simply whips out his boomstick and chainsaw and shreds the shambling legions

I didn't capitalise the word "ash" therefore it cannot be considered a name.

RelentlessImp
2007-07-14, 05:55 PM
The Monster in the Darkness is, indeed, Schroedinger's Monster. It exists in a perpetual state of uncertainty, and we will never know the truth, for when the shadows are removed, we become interferences in the random law of probability. So whatever it turns out to be, is not the truth; the truth, we shall never know.

Also, to the Ash comment. You win one free I.W.I.N. button.

RAGE KING!
2007-07-14, 08:03 PM
Schrodinger's Ultimate Secret Monster: It is every monster possible until revealed. :smallbiggrin:

BOOYA!

so its a lantern archon?....nymph?....living vault?...major god?

yah thats what i maybe thought, that it had something to do with the snarl...which is why its so powerful, but more likely its a hombrewed race with + 1000 to str.

dan_el_hombre
2007-07-14, 08:50 PM

would you say the MitD is a girl or a boy?

MitD is a boy.

:redcloak: sir, he's (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0191.html) about as scary as musty styrofoam.

Nomadic
2007-07-14, 10:51 PM
I didn't capitalize the word "ash" therefore it cannot be considered a name.

Oo I didn't know that. This is indeed a mighty exploit. Next time I have to sign my name I will use all lower case so they can't pin anything on me :smalltongue:

Schrodinger's Ultimate Secret Monster: It is every monster possible until revealed.

Is Micheal Jackson included on that list?

Gravedjinn
2007-07-15, 10:13 AM
It took me some time..... i have figured it out through a super secret formula....

MiTD is not a monster at all he is worse...... truly there can be only one answer to the question....

The MiTD is acctually Gary Gigax th DM!!!!!!!!
rich is just waiting for the right time for it so that the cameo appearance from other worlds will have the most effect.

TheAlmightyOne
2007-07-16, 01:13 PM
I still say its the squid thingy.

Hushdawg
2007-07-16, 02:08 PM
Is Micheal Jackson included on that list?

Oh for the love of peanut butter!

For the last time, Michael Jackson is not a monster. He just loves children.

...and dangles babies from balconies

...and wears wierd things

...and can't stop trying to look like a 50-year old Asian drag queen prostitute

but he's not a monster!

Aristeidis
2007-07-28, 08:28 PM
And now the ultimate truth:

The MitD is Rich Burlew, you've never seen him but you laugh at his jokes that you don't always get!!! :-P

BelkarPwnsAll!
2007-07-28, 09:44 PM
why the hell would MitD be the squid-thingy? Xykon and almost everyone else HATES squid-thingies! That is all, good bye...