PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Newbie needs character help

Clone
2016-11-13, 07:24 PM
Hey all. First time poster, long time lurker here. I was hoping I could get some help with a character for an upcoming campaign I'll be taking part in. I'll start with some context:

Super new to DnD and playing through the Lost Mines premade campaign currently, having a blast all the while. Myself and the DM are new while the two other players are kind of experienced but are mainly fun focused, being serious when needed. Playing as an Immortal Mystic from the UA with the others being a Nature Cleric and Beastmaster Ranger (also UA). Suffice to say, the balance is perfect so far with lots of laughs.

The same people will be playing in the future campaign, possibly with more people but I began thinking: with my character currently playing the Tank role, I suspect that the same situation will occur in the next campaign as that is the style the others are showing. My issue is that while I'm sure a Fighter or Barbarian would be perfectly fine to play as, I was hoping for something with a more "swiss army knife" feel while also being able to take a beating if needs be, to make up for whatever the party may be lacking in.

The campaign will be either Storm King's Thunder, Out of the Abyss or Princes of the Apocalypse, all UA available along with Volo's using a point buy system with Multiclassing allowed.

I had looked into a few concepts such as the Sorcadin and Bladelock, but am more than open to any and all suggestions.

At the moment a Fallen Aasimar Bladelock with a Barbarian dip is the most appealing to me (which I know sounds stupid in many ways, optimization-wise, but rage + AoA and Fiend pact!!) but again, any and all suggestions I'm happy to accept. I've no clue about the implementation of bringing jank into a mid to semi-high level campaign after all.

Thanks in advance to anyone who shares!

bid
2016-11-13, 07:57 PM
Bladelock is of limited value if you are not careful:
- level 3 allows you to shape your weapon, many dips will give you access to all marital melee weapons. If you don't RP it into a corkscrew you don't gain anything here.
- level 5 offers an special invocation, you can get a better extra attack from many 5 levels dip.
- level 12 adds some damage, if you get there.

Also, blastlock will do more damage with Cha, while bladelock goes MAD with Str/Cha.

AoA is somewhat a fantasy. First, you'd need 3rd slots to do 15 damage, less than that vanishes too quickly. Second, smart enemies will see the "spectral frost" and let ranged attackers deal with you. This may be good if you want to reckless attack without getting punished but less useful as a tank.

Bladelock works well as-is, with moderately armored or a 1-level dip into fighter for medium armor. It also works well with rogue IMO.

Barbarian also gives you medium armor, but you might as well reach level 5 for extra attack and go chainlock or tomelock. That would have a shaman flavor though.

As super-new, I'd just barbarian 5 or paladin 6 before thinking to multiclass. By that time you'll have a good idea what you want and enough mastery to get it.

Zagzax
2016-11-13, 09:05 PM
I wouldn't call a Barblock a swiss army knife by any means. Sorcadin would fit that bill a lot better.

Another option is a fighter/wiz combo. It is available in a lot of combinations. I prefer Fighter 2 then Abjurer or Bladesinger. Or Eldritch Knight 7 then Abjurer. Preferring DEX for Bladesinger and STR for Abjurer. This is if you insist on being a multiclass. It's possible a pure Paladin or Eldritch Knight would offer you enough of the versatility you're looking for.

Finally I'd call Pal 2 a strictly better dip for a warlock than Barb.

Sigreid
2016-11-13, 09:20 PM
IMO the paladin sounds like what you want. It's a tank first and foremost with spells and healing powers for versatility. Added bonus, you eventually get an aura to help protect your party from magic and poisons and such.

Naanomi
2016-11-13, 09:55 PM
Paladin also mixes *very* well with other Charisma classes, so if you want some versatility a little bit of multiclassing there can open lots of doors

Breaklance
2016-11-13, 10:17 PM
Swish army knife tank I'd say a war cleric.

All the goodness (healing and buffs) of a cleric with full martial proficiecies and faith specific martial extras. A dip of 2 levels fighter would be very easy to do as you trade off some spell caster levels for action surge and a fighting style.

Citan
2016-11-14, 03:57 AM
Hey all. First time poster, long time lurker here. I was hoping I could get some help with a character for an upcoming campaign I'll be taking part in. I'll start with some context:

Super new to DnD and playing through the Lost Mines premade campaign currently, having a blast all the while. Myself and the DM are new while the two other players are kind of experienced but are mainly fun focused, being serious when needed. Playing as an Immortal Mystic from the UA with the others being a Nature Cleric and Beastmaster Ranger (also UA). Suffice to say, the balance is perfect so far with lots of laughs.

The same people will be playing in the future campaign, possibly with more people but I began thinking: with my character currently playing the Tank role, I suspect that the same situation will occur in the next campaign as that is the style the others are showing. My issue is that while I'm sure a Fighter or Barbarian would be perfectly fine to play as, I was hoping for something with a more "swiss army knife" feel while also being able to take a beating if needs be, to make up for whatever the party may be lacking in.

The campaign will be either Storm King's Thunder, Out of the Abyss or Princes of the Apocalypse, all UA available along with Volo's using a point buy system with Multiclassing allowed.

I had looked into a few concepts such as the Sorcadin and Bladelock, but am more than open to any and all suggestions.

At the moment a Fallen Aasimar Bladelock with a Barbarian dip is the most appealing to me (which I know sounds stupid in many ways, optimization-wise, but rage + AoA and Fiend pact!!) but again, any and all suggestions I'm happy to accept. I've no clue about the implementation of bringing jank into a mid to semi-high level campaign after all.

Thanks in advance to anyone who shares!
Hi!

For a single-class character, you would have fun with the following: War Cleric, Moon Druid, Valor Bard, Crown (or Ancients) Paladin. All of these provide a wide set of spells to cover situations, although obviously some are more specialized. From a purely "tank" (= aggro enemies and survive hits) point of view, the absolute best is Crown Paladin, closely followed by Moon Druid (Wild Shape THP, Conjure Animals for extra meat shields) and War Cleric (because Spirit Guardians in heavy armor).
An Abjurer Wizard could work too but far more frail than the previous, and it would be more about battlefield control (difficult terrain, blocking path, fear/charm effects) than actually aggroing enemies...

If you want single-class and are not specially interested in one of the above or want the most easiest to play (= all are good to you), go with Crown: you can protect your party efficiently, you get good sustained damage and good nova damage, and you get enough utility spells to cover most adventuring needs (Detect spells, Purify/Create food, Dispel, Revivify). Only miss if ranged attacks (thrown weapons only), which you can cover if needed by grabbing a one-level dip in another class or Spell Sniper / Magic Initiate feat.

If you are not afraid of multiclassing, you get many great options...
Intelligence
Nearly full casters: Abjurer Wizard with 2-level dip in Fighter (for starting proficiencies and Action Surge) and/or 2 level dip in Rogue.
Gishes: Abjurer or Bladesinger Wizard paired with either Eldricht Knight 11 or Arcane Trickster 9-11.
Wizard is the ultimate swiss-knife, with no limit on spell known (if you are lucky), plenty of rituals, and should you manage to reach the end, free 1st and 2nd spell.
The big miss is lack of healing.

Charisma
Paladin with Bard or Sorcerer in the mix. Paladin brings all the melee and defense goodies, Lore Bard gives you powerful healing/utility/debuff and some great spells thanks to Magic Secret, Sorcerer gives AOE/single-target/buffs and debuff along with Metamagic. Usual breakpoints or Paladin 7 (Ancients/Crown/Oathbreaker) or 6 (others), the rest in caster.
If Unearthed Arcana content is available for you and you like to think before acting, go Shadow Sorcerer. The level 6 ability is borderline OP (you get a hound which imposes disadvantage on close-by enemies against your save-or-suck spells). ;)
Otherwise, Lore Bard is a solid choice thanks to Cutting Words, Expertise (Shove like a pro!) and Magic Secrets...
- For Bard 06 (3rd level), Conjure Animals, Slow, Counterspell, Haste or Aura of Vitality are great choices.
- For Bard 10 (5th level), Circle of Power, Destructive Waves, Raise Dead, Teleportation Circle, Animate Objects, Wall of Force are some usual picks.
- For Bard 14 (7th level), Contingency, Disintegrate, Create Undead, Delayed Blast Fireball, Simulacrum, Finger of Death, Teleport, Resurrection are among the most fun ones.
(There are probably some spells in this list that are actually on Bard's list, I made it from memory, so don't be surprised... ;))
Among the things you could do for example could be pick up Contingency and use it to bring back yourself from the dead with Revivify. ;)

Wisdom
Cleric mixed with Ranger or Monk: Cleric gives you all the buff/heal tools, Ranger and Monk gives the martial abilities. Be aware though that if you want to take Monk, you should pump it at least until Monk 11 unless you have a very specific build idea.

This is obviously a non-exhaustive list, but points out some of the simplest multiclass builds that still stay relevant throughout.
Hope that gives you some ideas. If you want more information on one specific build, I'll be happy to provide. ;)

Herobizkit
2016-11-14, 06:35 AM
Fallen Aasimar Paladin/Warlock couldn't ooze more flavour juice if it was made in Florida.

The warlock's two spell slots are recharge on short rest. You can use Warlock spell slots for Paladin spells as well as their Smite ability. While a Sorcadin will give you more blasterino, Pallock's nice and tight.

Also, though you said you wanted to Blade-lock, don't discount the value of going Chain-lock and getting a swell Familiar that can turn invisible and fly. Virtually undetectable scouts drive DM's crazy, so use a light touch if you go this route.

Straight-up Moon Druid, or go crazy and Bard/Druid or even UA Ranger/Druid; can't get much more Army knife than that.

Gastronomie
2016-11-14, 09:09 AM
If you want a "tank with utility", Sorcadin will be your best bet. They're the most flexible of all gishes, especially due to Metamagic (stuff like Careful Web and Quickened Fireball make you feel godly). You said you want to "make up for whatever the party may be lacking in", and good news: Sorcadins excel at filling in any party role. For more info about Sorcadin optimization, look at the link in my sig.

Fighter 1/Warlock X builds are also good casters, but due to the limitations of Pact Magic, are not as versatile. They really are fun to play, though.

Oramac
2016-11-14, 09:51 AM
If you want a "tank with utility", Sorcadin will be your best bet. They're the most flexible of all gishes, especially due to Metamagic (stuff like Careful Web and Quickened Fireball make you feel godly). You said you want to "make up for whatever the party may be lacking in", and good news: Sorcadins excel at filling in any party role. For more info about Sorcadin optimization, look at the link in my sig.

I'd agree with this. Sorcadin (either pally 2/sorc x or pally 6/sorc x) is probably your best bet.

Personally, I'd go Pally 6 / Sorc X. Aura of Protection is just too damn strong to pass up.

If you're not feeling that, the War Cleric that someone mentioned is a solid option as well.

Clone
2016-11-15, 02:00 PM
Thanks everyone so much for the suggestions!
My character ended up getting killed via a buffed Bugbear in a big fight (Giving it 3x the Hit points was kinda BS, guess my DM REALLY heated my Mystics's Iron Durability ability...) so I ended up using the Fallen Aasimar Barbarian Fiendlock I'd mentioned with 16/14/12/8/8/16 as stats, and will be getting GWM at lvl 5 (1 Bar/4 Lock).

Would get resistance to Physical damage (which at this stage is most) and adding +10 to my first attack each round NOT using the GWM (16 STR, +2 Rage and +5 Necrotic Shroud) with a Greatsword kinda melted people, mix that with AoA and getting more THP per kill, I was unstoppable.

I kinda felt that it was a kinda gimmicky and incredibly MAD (but so so much fun) so I'll happily put that character to rest when this campaign ends, which leaves me with, based on the suggestions here: Moon Druid or Sorcadin

What's the argument for either? With this being either a level 10, 12 or 15 Campaign I'm unsure as to which class does "better", which is incredibly subjective I know, but what do people say? Also were there any Beasts in Volo's for Wild Shape? Can't find an answer so far.

Once again thanks everyone for the help, its super appreciated since no experience means all of this can be overwhelming when trying to make a reliable character for the new people joining next campaign, but still has options which I kinda crave with these things

Oramac
2016-11-15, 02:11 PM
Moon Druid or Sorcadin

Of the two, I'd go with Sorcadin for the awesome smites and Aura of Protection. But I also really don't like druids.

That being said, a Bear-barian 3 / Moon Druid X is really strong. You can maintain Rage while wild shaped, so you make one hell of a tank. Convince your DM that you've seen a Giant Octopus before and you're borderline broken in Tier 2 play.

Ashrym
2016-11-15, 04:33 PM
Thanks everyone so much for the suggestions!

You haven't heard mine yet. ;-)

I would go pally 2 / lore bard x with either urchin, spy, or outlander background. Pick up shillelagh and greenflame blade with extra secrets.

That gives you the skill benefits, heavy armor and shield, a fighting style, broad spell selection (including first level pally spells), bonus healing, divine smiting, and eliminates MAD. Greenflame blade is the main attack and smites replace it when it's not valid or can stack with it for spike damage.

Otherwise, Lore Bard is a solid choice thanks to Cutting Words, Expertise (Shove like a pro!) and Magic Secrets...
- For Bard 06 (3rd level), Conjure Animals, Slow, Counterspell, Haste or Aura of Vitality are great choices.
- For Bard 10 (5th level), Circle of Power, Destructive Waves, Raise Dead, Teleportation Circle, Animate Objects, Wall of Force are some usual picks.
- For Bard 14 (7th level), Contingency, Disintegrate, Create Undead, Delayed Blast Fireball, Simulacrum, Finger of Death, Teleport, Resurrection are among the most fun ones.
(There are probably some spells in this list that are actually on Bard's list, I made it from memory, so don't be surprised... ;))

Yep; raise dead, teleportation circle, animate objects, teleport, and resurrection are already bard spells.

I find I use secrets for bard spells at times anyway. Too many good spells and not enough spells known. Greater restoration, raise dead, and mass cure Wounds are all 5th level for healing focused bards but progression only gives one 5th level bard spell at ninth level and tenth level gives two secrets but no bard spells so it's typically of the bard as healer to spend those secrets on those bard spells, for example.

Clone
2016-11-16, 05:53 PM
Huh, wouldn't have guessed the Bard option would be so tempting. At the moment I've benched the Mood Druid idea until I know what kinds of forms they added in Volo's (which if anyone knows some good higher CP ones it'd be appreciated to mention, can't afford it as a poor student </3).

So I'm sold on the Paladin start now, Smiting seems just super fun and I'm extremely tempted to go Pal 3 for Devotion's Sacred weapon and get GWM, using controlling cantrips like Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade, assuming I don't get an extra attack.

The most tempting options are now:
Warlock: Pack of the Chain (as it was suggested) for its Short-Rest replenishing spell slots along with an amazing invisible scout with Heart Sight. There's also a heck of a lot of shenanigans I've thought up of including the Sprite, Mask of Many Faces and sometimes Polymorph which could bring a creative twist on some social scenarios.

Sorcerer: Draconic due to the silly amount of damage output, options galore and also after reading Gastronomie's Sorcadin guide (don't care what anyone says, Birthblade sounded awesome).

Bard: Lore (or maybe one of the new one's, haven't looked into them yet) for the spell selections, the silly amount of skill buffs and proficiency along with various buffs speak for themselves (this one is super dependent on whether or not our main party face becomes a Bard, which seems likely).

Moon Druid: This would be a more Dex build, tanking with wild shapes and dealing damage via smiting and the Protector Aasimar's damage (I mean an angelic smiting bear to swoop down on all who oppose it? Yes please). It would also have summoning and multiple uses for the spell slots. Only problem is the slight MADness but that can be fixed through either picking non-WIS dependent spells or smiting like no tomorrow!

So what are people's thoughts? Any preferences, any of these only good on paper, or ideas of your own? Eager to hear people's thoughts! (Also that Volo's Guide expansion to the beast list would be fantastic to know if anyone can help!)

Again thanks for everyone's help!

CaptainSarathai
2016-11-16, 06:22 PM
I throw the vote for Sorcadin.
I tend to play Warlocks, and apparently I'm just the worst at it, but let's be real: you get 2 renewing slots until about 10ish level (AFB). That's alright for Smiting I guess, but it's not a whole lot. The only other thing you'll get is sources of TempHP. I agree with the myth of AoA. Without focusing hard on Warlock levels, getting the tempHP from Fiend (LockLvl + Cha) on kills isn't even that great.

By comparison, Sorcerers have enough slots to fuel low-level Smites, and you can burn spells for points to get more. You also get all the other goodies of the Sorcadin guide.
That said, the Sorcadin isn't too different than an Eldritch Knight, and if you're going Defense, EKs can grab BB/GFB at 3rd, and have a more steady DPR rather than bursty Nova strikes.

And the last option: combo time.
Paladin4 + Warlock8 + Sorcerer8
Paladin gives Smite shots and Fighting Style, Crown or Devotion Oaths, 2 spell slots, 20pts of healing.
Warlock has UA Undying Light for +Cha to Fire and Radiant. Go Tome rather than Blade and pick up Shillelagh to focus everything straight into Cha. Refilling slots do help, bit they're stronger when you can sack them down into Sorcery Points and hold them over rests.
Sorcerer gives those points. Draconic gives you +Cha go Fire (again). Full Caster for slots. Metamagic for Quickening spells.

Ashrym
2016-11-16, 09:42 PM
Huh, wouldn't have guessed the Bard option would be so tempting. At the moment I've benched the Mood Druid idea until I know what kinds of forms they added in Volo's (which if anyone knows some good higher CP ones it'd be appreciated to mention, can't afford it as a poor student </3).

I knew bards would be tempting. The class still shows druidic roots for those players looking at that archetype. ;-)

Volo's doesn't give much in the way of beasts. Aurochs, oxen, and cattle plus some dinosaurs. Given that a druid needs to have seen the beast at least once, what are the chances you'll see dinosaurs in the goblin wars nature campaign?

First glance at them doesn't scream "I need me some of that!" at me.

Warlock: Pack of the Chain (as it was suggested) for its Short-Rest replenishing spell slots along with an amazing invisible scout with Heart Sight. There's also a heck of a lot of shenanigans I've thought up of including the Sprite, Mask of Many Faces and sometimes Polymorph which could bring a creative twist on some social scenarios.

The SLA's are the draw. Misty visions, devil's sight, many faces, and beast speech in a nature theme.

Sorcerer: Draconic due to the silly amount of damage output, options galore and also after reading Gastronomie's Sorcadin guide (don't care what anyone says, Birthblade sounded awesome).

You might need to recheck a bit with the errata on elemental affinity. The damage roll only applies once per spell. I am not sure what you are thinking in terms of damage but most options for damage come from the metamagic all sorcs get.

DKing9114
2016-11-17, 05:40 PM
I'm having a lot of fun playing a more or less straight Paladin (intend to take a two level Fighter dip after level 8). Not as tanky as the Barbarian, but not terrible either, and the smite damage is fantastic (last session I dealt 60 damage in a single blow). Also has pretty good support capabilities, especially when the Aura's kick in, and since you'll need solid Charisma you'll be effective in social encounters as well as combat.

Since you said you want a "swiss army knife" utility, I might recommend playing a straight Paladin at least until level 6, then seeing what multiclass options appeal to you. Three levels in Sorcerer would let you quicken or heighten spells, three levels of Bard to increase your versatility with additional skills and Jack of All Trades, or levels in Barbarian or Fighter to improve your combat abilities. For races, Half-Elf, Human (or Variant), or Dragonborn would all be solid choices.

Herobizkit
2016-11-17, 06:12 PM
Why not both?

Bard/Moon Druid is tasty and is pretty much the ultimate Swiss army knife (imo).

MrStabby
2016-11-17, 06:44 PM
Can I pitch in with one of my favourites?

Based on 2 things i think this could work for you.

1) There is an expectation/benefit to you playing a tank role
2) You want a whole bunch of different tricks

Eldritch Knight, Warlock, Rogue

Eldritch knight to 5 gives you extra attack and access to a bunch of wizard spells. Shield will be one of these if you want to tank.

Warlock 2 gives you invocations and a lot more spell slots to spend on shield as well as access to another spell list.

Rogue 1 at 8th level gives you expertise in 2 skills. If you cant solve it with skills you solve it with spells. If you cant solve it with spells you solve it with violence and you are pretty damn good at all three (OK the spells are not high level but utility spells or enhancement spells that can fix a lot of situations).