PDA

View Full Version : Was the Giant sending a message in 475?

Atheist_Cleric
2007-07-14, 07:03 AM
Haley theorised in 475 that "the thing under the umbrella" must be a child. You have to admit, that really works. Think about it. Scared of monster. Gets excited over the prospect of a "kids meal". Eats lots of junk and watches tv (admittedly watching hot dwarf-on-dwarf action, but that was in the strips earlyish stages). Plays games. Holds tea parties. The MITD IS very, very child-like. But what kind of monster, even as a child, could have the kind of power the mitd does?

Im gonna go with the baby terrasque theory. But why dont we all throw down what we think, in light of the possibility that whatever the MITD is, its a infant or child.

lavidor10
2007-07-14, 07:32 AM
I'd agree, except for this one time: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0082.html

Krytha
2007-07-14, 08:38 AM
It doesn't have to be a child to have a child-like disposition.

Rofl-Falafal
2007-07-14, 08:45 AM
Well, childlike is something they use to refer to Elan all the time, and he's definitely not a child.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-07-14, 09:05 AM
Although both Elan and the MitD have hosted tea parties:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0232.html

I just never figured out how Elan got someone else to cater the party while he was relaxing in the spa with Roy and the rest...

Dusk_Rider
2007-07-14, 09:22 AM
He just said that it was under Roy's orders. After all, he's the king of Nowhere (or was it Somewhere?).

Querzis
2007-07-14, 09:35 AM
I'd agree, except for this one time: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0082.html

You think a child cant do that right now with internet? You're naive. Yes Elan is childlike but he does some stupid (or even sometimes smart) things that show hes an adult while MiTD pretty much always act like a curious 10 years old child as far as I'm concerned.

Lenny
2007-07-14, 09:39 AM
It's quite clearly Elan and Nale's long lost True Neutral triplet, Anel.

Krytha
2007-07-14, 09:40 AM
The MitD watches dwarf pr0nz. Sure a 10 year old theoretically COULD do that, but they wouldn't be at a stage of any real interest. The MitD acts juvenile, but I sincerely doubt he is.

XtheYeti
2007-07-14, 09:43 AM
MitD is child-like, that may be because he is not 100% mentaly there, or becuase he is a child, or becuase he is under a spell. who knows, i just really want to see what Belkar cooks up with that vulture.

Bluelantern
2007-07-14, 09:55 AM
Well, childlike is something they use to refer to Elan all the time, and he's definitely not a child.

If he was a child he would a very naughty child, that deserves to be punished by miko.

*waits while everyone rolls a sanity check and fails*

Anyway, I prefer to wait to see what MITD is =p

Krytha
2007-07-14, 10:23 AM
MitD is child-like, that may be because he is not 100% mentaly there, or becuase he is a child, or becuase he is under a spell. who knows, i just really want to see what Belkar cooks up with that vulture.

Vulture stew?

Gravedjinn
2007-07-14, 11:49 AM
oh for cring out loud people get off thes dicussions if your gonna get hostile about it..... the fact of the matter is until rich lets us see MiTD then we do NOT know.... it could be the vorpal bunny or a jackalope for all we acctually know......

Now my theroy for all ya haters out there:
I beleive that the MiTD is old...very old and because of the power he holds almost all would fear him/her if they saw wut it was.... i think the childish nature comes from years and years of solitude.

Hushdawg
2007-07-14, 12:05 PM
Im gonna go with the baby terrasque theory. But why dont we all throw down what we think, in light of the possibility that whatever the MITD is, its a infant or child.

I have said many times that I think it is an adolescent Terrasque.

It is the only thing I can concieve of that would be powerful enough and fearsome enough at an adolescent age to fit in with what MiTD is supposedly capable of.

I also think that 475 underscores that it is indeed very powerful since it shouted loud enough to rattle the teeth (and plates) of everyone nearby.

It may be around equivelant age 13-14 and have a low INT and WIS score which would give it a mildly retarded development. I'm also considering the fact that it SOUGHT OUT the hot dwarf-on-dwarf action, was able to make popcorn for itself (though not clean up) and speaks fairly well and uses common terms (unlike Thog whose INT is so low that he barely constructs sentences).

For stats I would give MiTD:
STR: 20
DEX: 18
CON: 18
INT: 7
WIS: 6
CHA: 5

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-07-14, 12:37 PM
It is a child, and I think it's a specific child, but the reference is kind of obscure.

It's not a baby tarrasque, it's not a little girl vampire, it's not a demon from the Abyss, and it's not a piece of the Snarl. It's:

Minya! Son of Godzilla!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064373/

The Hello Goblin umbrella is a spoof of Hello Kitty, a famous Japanese "cute character."

He's a boy, and about ten.

Yes, a ten-year-old will watch dwarven pron, and say "It's pretty hot, actually," if only for the shock value. Then comments that it's entertaining and eductional.

He wants to be "The Monster," but never gets his chance.

He has a roar that will cause damage, but almost never uses it.

He is extremely strong!

The Stereotypical big game hunter (In SoD, still waiting for it, but I've seen others post) says he's never seen one of those in this part of the world. So it's NOT a part of the Snarl, but possibly an escapee from Monster Island!

He acts more childlike than Elan, which makes me think that he really is a child, and not an adult who acts childlike. Afterall, Elan has done the "horizontal mamba" with Haley, and had a chance with the Cute Asian Girl, and probably several others.

That's my theory, and I'm stickin' with it!

Bloody_Dagger
2007-07-14, 12:38 PM

I think what he was trying to point out is the MitD has magical darkness around him. And he has had it around him for a long time. So this means that he can either: A: Wear magic items that can give out magical darkness B: Has magical darkness as a spell-like ability or C: Can cast magical darkness over and over again.

Bucephalus
2007-07-14, 12:38 PM
you guys need to read start of darkness =p... though it doesnt tell what mitd is you get a little more info about it

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-07-14, 01:01 PM
No, the message was:

Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes.

:smallbiggrin:

Oh, one more thing:

WOOT! I'm an orc! WOOT! WOOT! And no QTF, no "what he said," and no "where's the strip!" posts in any of them!

Ridureyu
2007-07-14, 01:03 PM
I think it's related to the Snarl, somehow.

Guildorn Tanaleth
2007-07-14, 01:11 PM
Well, the MitD is daft as a brush and clearly very ravenous. Also, though it can't see the gates, note that the gates can't see it either.

Clearly, the MitD is the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal.

All Haley & Belkar need to do is blindfold themselves & the bodies, and they'll be able to escape.

Nomadic
2007-07-14, 01:17 PM
sigh :smallsigh:

Don't you all know, the MitD actually is the darkness. Simply read my signature to see why this is so devastating.

Snipers_Promise
2007-07-14, 01:56 PM
Am I the only one who thinks its a gelatainous cube?

factotum
2007-07-14, 02:48 PM
Given the MitD has damage reduction (see the occasion where Miko attacked him and his only comment was "That tickles!") then I'd say yes, you are the only one to think that. (A gelatinous cube would also be nothing like as powerful as the MitD is implied to be--we're talking a creature that a level 20+ epic lich sorcerer was going to use to destroy OotS rather than bothering to do it himself!).

DreadSpoon
2007-07-14, 09:23 PM
The MitD watches dwarf pr0nz. Sure a 10 year old theoretically COULD do that, but they wouldn't be at a stage of any real interest. The MitD acts juvenile, but I sincerely doubt he is.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it is possible for a 10 year to be interested in such things. Certainly not normal, but it does happen. Said interest can stretch to even younger ages.

That said, I doubt the mitd is really a little girl. He/she/it could very well just be childish, as has been pointed out.

I also personally think trying to guess the type of monster is close to pointless, since (a) D&D has more sentient types of creature than the Star Wars and Star Trek universes combined, (b) Rich is allowed to make up new monsters, (c) man clues we have like relative size might not be accurately represented by the stick drawings compared to the written monster descriptions, and (d) there's a chance that it's pulled from a source nobody's even considering like the 1st or 2nd edition monsters (remember, Xykon was in the Dungeon of Dorukon, so he had plenty of access to such creatures).

Sage in the Playground
2007-07-14, 09:30 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble, but it is possible for a 10 year to be interested in such things. Certainly not normal, but it does happen. Said interest can stretch to even younger ages.

That said, I doubt the mitd is really a little girl. He/she/it could very well just be childish, as has been pointed out.

I also personally think trying to guess the type of monster is close to pointless, since (a) D&D has more sentient types of creature than the Star Wars and Star Trek universes combined, (b) Rich is allowed to make up new monsters, (c) man clues we have like relative size might not be accurately represented by the stick drawings compared to the written monster descriptions, and (d) there's a chance that it's pulled from a source nobody's even considering like the 1st or 2nd edition monsters (remember, Xykon was in the Dungeon of Dorukon, so he had plenty of access to such creatures).

He left the vaults alone. Cylia said.

Gavin Sage
2007-07-14, 10:15 PM
Well, the MitD is daft as a brush and clearly very ravenous. Also, though it can't see the gates, note that the gates can't see it either.

This notion that the MitD cannot see the gates is completely false yet I see it often...

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0096.html

Xykon points and the MitD sees the gate. He's just so dense (I'd say he has a rock for a brain but I don't want to insult the rocks of the universe) he doesn't associate the two together. The "What Gate?" is a nothing more then a running gag.

Icewalker
2007-07-15, 12:02 AM
Huh. That's certainly a possibility, and one of the few reasonable and not easily broken MitD theories I've seen recently.

I still think nobody knows what it is, including The Giant, and we'll never actually find out.

Scarab83
2007-07-15, 12:22 AM
It's quite clearly Elan and Nale's long lost True Neutral triplet, Anel.

Teehee.. you said "Anel".