PDA

View Full Version : Advice on optimizing my character with leveling up

MarkVIIIMarc
2016-11-21, 01:12 AM
After reading about a bit and getting advice in another thread I have realized how much help this board is!

At the end of our last session we reached Level 4. Typically we do the grunt work of leveling alone and roll our dice for additional HP when we gather back up.

Going into level 4 My character is a small Lore College Bard Elf.

Strength 9
Dexterity 17
Constitution 13
Intelligence 9
Wisdom 13
Charisma 16

Cantrips:
Dancing Lights
Level 1 Spells
Cure Wounds
Charm Person
Thunderwave
Faerie Fire

Level 2 Spells
Phantasmal Force
Shatter

I have what seems to be the usual combo of Long Bow and a Rapier.

What I was thinking about doing was putting another point into Dex, the +1 to AC, Attack Bonus and Damage is motivational.

The 2nd ability point should probably go to Charisma but a 17 isn't meaningfully better than a 16 so I was thinking about bumping my Wisdom to 14 as those saving throws seem to be coming up often.

For magic I was thinking of adding Vicious Mockery and Heat Metal.

I can't decide on a spell to rotate out.

Our party is a Monk, a Wizard and a Rogue and myself.

My character is a somewhat angry chaotic neutral gal with a couple axes to grind.

Am I heading in the right direction? Or what pitfalls am I falling into or should I be aware of?

Thanks in advance for doing all the reading.

djreynolds
2016-11-21, 03:12 AM
You could try to get some studded leather armor.

I like hold person, good spell

Crown of madness is a bard spell, in the PHB, similar to charm person but concentration, could turn a giant into an ally in a fight.

Crazy idea, the moderately armored feat will give a shield, medium armor, and +1 dex.

A dip in fighter gives the armor, weapons, and archery style, and ranger does with 2 levels and another skill

Resilient wisdom, gives you +1 wisdom and proficiency in those.

It depends on your character and if you want to multiclass. Moderately armored is expensive for a shield, for +2 AC.

Would you consider a level or 2 in sorcerer, dragon gives you natural armor and access to the shield spell.

Knowledge cleric could prove useful.

I could honestly see ranger in your future, a very knowledgeable traveler as you have the stats.

MarkVIIIMarc
2016-11-21, 08:42 AM
Interesting points.

I had not thought of multi classing. Guess I need to decide how important becoming a tank will be to me and try to focus on something....

Although one of the best part of this Bard thing is the lack of focus! Jack of All Trades truely describes them.

Gastronomie
2016-11-21, 08:48 AM
If you're playing a Lore Bard, I would probably refrain from going in the weapon-focused path too much and invest more in CHA. If you want a bard with weapons, Valor is better with Extra Attack.

PeteNutButter
2016-11-21, 10:20 AM
If you're playing a Lore Bard, I would probably refrain from going in the weapon-focused path too much and invest more in CHA. If you want a bard with weapons, Valor is better with Extra Attack.

Yes this, but with more emphasis. Spellcasting is your focus, pump cha. Dex is a trap choice as it helps low level, but will be regretted as you get higher.

Your spells, even cantrips, will outpace your bow damage.

Speaking of cantrips, I begrudgingly have to mention that two levels in warlock will give an eldritch blast that is immensely more powerful than your bow.

Gastronomie
2016-11-21, 10:36 AM
Yes this, but with more emphasis. Spellcasting is your focus, pump cha. Dex is a trap choice as it helps low level, but will be regretted as you get higher. Also add how your number of Bardic Inspiration relies on having high CHA. DEX > CHA is not a good idea for a Bard if you wish to optimize (and since you came here asking for help, yeah...).

Your spells, even cantrips, will outpace your bow damage.Add how, even if your cantrips don't outpace bow damage, spells like Vicious Mockery have good rider effects that make them much better options than using bows.

Speaking of cantrips, I begrudgingly have to mention that two levels in warlock will give an eldritch blast that is immensely more powerful than your bow.This, but at the same time, I would generally refrain from going Warlock 2 - especially until you hit Lore Bard 6 and get Magical Secrets (Aura of Vitality, Conjure Animals, so many choices!). After that, you could go that path if you want.

Anyhow, while I can understand the urge to push up that DEX 17 to 18, pumping your CHA to 20 is probably top priority.

gfishfunk
2016-11-21, 10:52 AM
The optimal route is to add +1 to Dex and +1 to Constitution, giving you more hit points, defense, initiative, and attack/damage with melee. Especially since you play along the frontlines (based on your other thread).

Otherwise, I would go +2 Cha.