PDA

View Full Version : Faerun Super Heroes

fireinthedust
2007-07-14, 07:52 PM
This is something I've been curious about, and maybe will do up a Homebrew thread on later. It started as a thought about how Faerun would look if PCs were made with the Mutants and Masterminds 2nd edition rules rather-than 3.5 DnD; given the classless nature of the game, the concepts wouldn't be stuck with the classes we're all familiar with, so I started thinking about the potential characters that could be made using those rules, but set in Faerun.

Question: if Faerun (the forgotten realms) had a team of "superheroes", what would that team look like?

I'm thinking more free-form than just a party of adventurers, per se. In a way, it's every team of PCs that adventure there (except the baddies, you know who you are). Still, "if Faerun had a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, what would that be like?" Another way of putting this would be "what would the Faerun version of X heroes we're already familiar with be?"

One example is that team in Waterdeep (forget the name) with the Frost giant in it (see the City of Splendours book; I don't have it handy).

Power Sources I can think of would be Spellcasters, Training (fighters, rogues, monks), Race (monsters and non-humans), Magical Alterations (bit by enchanted spider, etc.), and Magical Items (golem armor, weapons, etc.). Any others?

Nahal
2007-07-14, 08:13 PM
Divine/demonic empowerment, lycanthropy, undeath.

There's also nothing stopping one of the members from being a pawn of their adversaries like Dorian Gray in the film.

Kurald Galain
2007-07-14, 08:28 PM
Elminster puts on a mask and a cape and turns into... Wizman!

nana nana nana nana wizman
nana nana nana nana wizman!

To the wizmobile! (which is a phantom steed, but anyway)

fireinthedust
2007-07-14, 11:21 PM
Divine/demonic empowerment, lycanthropy, undeath.

There's also nothing stopping one of the members from being a pawn of their adversaries like Dorian Gray in the film.

Interesting point. However, I was referring to the comics. The Alan Moore ones, two volumes, great art, and a plot (I apologize to you for forgetting that there was a movie, and that you might remember it mere moments before your brain melted; not a fan of the film, you see). Basically the characters are Victorian heroes, but without masks. The Faerunian bunch would be... well, fantasy-themed.

And they wouldn't be "wizman" types with masks and stupidity. They'd be, like, Spellfire weilders before someone hacked out a class progression for them. Or wizards and such, but like Dr. Strange or Dr. Fate perhaps. Just living in Suzail or Waterdeep.

Y'know, like that. Imagine what you'd have access to in a Gestalt campaign (ECL races) but that you wouldn't need loads of levels in order to do them. What would you be?