PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Help needed: Feat for Claws

Foxydono
2016-11-29, 08:01 AM
Our party is currently 6th level and we are playing Princes of the Apocalypse. I recently found an intresting item and I want to make feat for it. Please beware of spoilers because the item can only be found in the above mentioned campaign.

**SPOILER**
https://aversten.obsidianportal.com/wiki_pages/claws-of-the-umber-hulk

A little bit of background concerning my character: I am playing a Tiefling which is currently a 5th level ranger, Strength based (UA: Hunter Conclave with Hoard Breaker) and a 1st level rogue (expertise in Atheltics and perception). I have a homebrew Whip feat so I can disarm and trip my opponents like the combat manouver of the battlemaster. I'm planning to go Swashbuckler rogue when I hit 8th level. My name is 'Billy Lee' and have a defensive combat style. I usually 'tank' together with a warrior charging into combat, tripping my opponent so it can be attacked with advantage. I am wearing medium armor with 14 dex and I sometimes wear a shield, although sometimes I drop my shield to grapple opponents ;p

It's is a rather unorthodox character for a ranger/rogue, being Strength based and rushing into combat doing battlefield control. During my downtime I want to 're-train' my Whip feat so I can play with my new found Claws!

I have some idea's already on what I want, but I don't want to infleunce your creative ideas, so what interesting feats can you guys and girls come up with when it comes to these claws?

Ziegander
2016-11-30, 07:52 AM
Surely the standard Dual Wielder feat should be plenty good enough for these claws?

But if it's not specific enough for you, how about:

UMBER RENDER
Through extensive training with your Claws of the Umber Hulk, you gain the following benefits:

You can use two-weapon fighting with the Claws of the Umber Hulk even though neither claw is light.
Your attacks with the Claws of the Umber Hulk score critical hits on rolls of 19 or 20.
Whenever you score a critical hit with one of your Claws of the Umber Hulk against a creature that wears armor or has natural armor, you tear into the creature's defenses causing the AC bonus of that creature's armor or natural armor to be permanently reduced by 1. Armor damaged in this way can be repaired with smith's tools or by the mending spell. Natural armor damaged this way recovers anytime the creature recovers lost hit points at a rate of 1 AC bonus per 5 hit points recovered.

Foxydono
2016-11-30, 05:11 PM
Surely the standard Dual Wielder feat should be plenty good enough for these claws?

But if it's not specific enough for you, how about:

UMBER RENDER
Through extensive training with your Claws of the Umber Hulk, you gain the following benefits:

You can use two-weapon fighting with the Claws of the Umber Hulk even though neither claw is light.
Your attacks with the Claws of the Umber Hulk score critical hits on rolls of 19 or 20.
Whenever you score a critical hit with one of your Claws of the Umber Hulk against a creature that wears armor or has natural armor, you tear into the creature's defenses causing the AC bonus of that creature's armor or natural armor to be permanently reduced by 1. Armor damaged in this way can be repaired with smith's tools or by the mending spell. Natural armor damaged this way recovers anytime the creature recovers lost hit points at a rate of 1 AC bonus per 5 hit points recovered.

I like it! Would have never thought about the idea of wearing down the defenses of my opponent with a succesful hit. Also, the improved crit is a nice bonus together with the dualing style :)

I thought of the following feat:
- Can use somatic components and interact with small objects, but you cannot use other weapons or a shield.
- +1 to hit
- Can pin down an opponent while grappling as with the grapple feat.

I like your ideas better though. But maybe I can switch the grappling option with one of your suggested powers.

Gr7mm Bobb
2016-12-01, 09:54 PM
This might work for you if you also have dual wielder. Let me know what you think please. I've run it a handful of times and let some players use it. It helps allow TWF style players have nice things like the GWF can.

DERVISH
Prerequisite: Strength or dexterity Score of 13 or higher.

When you use Dodge action you may make a single weapon attack or move up to 10 feet as a bonus action. This movement does not provoke an attack of opportunity.
Once during your turn, while you are engaged in two weapon fighting and you miss with a weapon attack, you can immediately make an additional attack with your other weapon with disadvantage.
If you have advantage while dual wielding and both dice would result in hit a or you score a critical hit, you can hit with your other weapon and add its damage to the total. The second weapons damage is not multiplied on a critical hit unless both advantage dice would score a critical hit.